Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is a big/hybrid turbo swap worth it?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks man, there is no modded FiSTs around here ( at least more then an air intake and cat back ) so I ask a lot of questions on here. It's kind of sucks being the most modded FiST in town. I have 2 guys I run with, one had a drop in k&n and the other is stock. Thank God your the VW guys around here or it would be no fun. I got turned away by a ST group here because of my mods wtf.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You don't need to affiliated with a group of no talent ass hats like that anyways. If you need anything just chime in here man...a lot of us are more than willing to help. You can always Pm also if you need any thing[rockon]

Jerickson88

I’ll probably go x47 eventually. Stock turbo feels empty after a while. I’d like a little more out of the car, maybe a stepping stone to bt? Dunno. It’s plenty fun as it is, I think the heat soak is what makes it bland after a while. Hopefully I’ll be doing an intercooler in the next month or two.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I’ll probably go x47 eventually. Stock turbo feels empty after a while. I’d like a little more out of the car, maybe a stepping stone to bt? Dunno. It’s plenty fun as it is, I think the heat soak is what makes it bland after a while. Hopefully I’ll be doing an intercooler in the next month or two.
If you're going to do a Turbo upgrade ....do it once if you can. I plan on keeping my Gen2 for the long haul. Good luck in your journey!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Jerickson88

If you're going to do a Turbo upgrade ....do it once if you can. I plan on keeping my Gen2 for the long haul. Good luck in your journey!

You know I’ve been back and forth selling the car. I just need to decide which direction to do. Can I get max potential out of a x47 on stock fuel? What all is mandatory going hybrid

I just got to stage two a week ago so I've been asking myself this more as I drive the car. The stock turbo dies off early and it sure would be nice to pull all the way to redline making a turbo upgrade tempting. I'm just not sure for a street / fun daily car that I need it. I'm lowered on whiteline springs and stock struts and feel $2500 spent on those new AST two way adjustable coilovers would transform the car in a more usable way.

I learned way back with my Evolution 8 that trying to make one car do everything usually ends up with a jack of all trades but master of none so I appreciate each car I have like it's a golf club to be selected for it's specific use. I have a C6 corvette that I still really enjoy for all the power it has, but the fiesta is great in the snow and very light and nimble meaning I can hustle it through tight stuff like roundabouts faster which really puts a smile on my face.

So what does all this mean? If money is unlimited why not get the turbo and suspension and buy more stuff for the corvette or upgrade that to a Porsche GT3. But money is a factor for most of us.

IF you think you'll use the upper part of the rev band enough to justify 2-4k spent then it's probably worth it. Most people realistically don't need that area improved for fun street driving, I know I can live without it even if I want it.

Now that I've completed my first round of mods (see my build thread) I feel the magical value formula for this car is what I envisioned and going further in any direction just means a lot more money for less results. "Stage 2" which really just means an intercooler and tune is the best bang for the buck and I think any enthusiast should do it. Beyond that, you better really think about money, time, and reliability.

One final thought - $2500 is like 4-8 track days. Make sure you're able to use the car or why bother building it at all?

I am repeating my self but a x37 with a whoosh intercooler is the way to go for a noticeable upgrade cheap. still in daily driver land. boyracer

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Interesting subject. i originally thought I would toss springs in Whiteline to be exact. Lots of stuff going in my life and they did not get installed immediately. Because of that I stumbled across a set of ST XA coilovers and after really researching the factory shocks decided for the deal I might as well go full boar and and run coilovers. The AST’s for $2500 would be nice not though probably overkill for my uses.

In the mean time FMIC, crossover pipe, aluminum rad, hot side charge pipe all got picked up. Documentation build thread coming soon. As well a RMM, and some braces. Plan on lighter wheels in 16’s as well.
Now for the perfromance,

I have an AP with tunes, I have also ridden in my friends car with a Revo S242 hybrid. I actually prefer that Turbo because its properly built by TurboTech in the UK. I do likes its power and a lot and came away quite impressed.

Oh and ya it does not have the issues of the RT330.

Problem is Revo stopped making it but it can be had used.
Different Turbo is not out of the picture for me though after riding in my friends car I felt the right choice could really add to the overall aspects of the car.

For people thinking about mods and money quite honestly modding these cars is cheap in comparison to a lot of other cars. Unless you are trying to build a all out track machine.

In facf when think of what I paid for the car and add cost of mods its kinda shocking how cheap it is to build a monster of a car.

Why do I say this because adding a different Turbo to our cars is not that expensive.

I came from a world where engline swap or Turbo on stock engine happened and a lot and both started in the range of $2500 to start. Full builds on the cars costed upwards of 20k of course more were built to be full om track cars . Which usually the owners realized after the fact they needed a second car because car become track machine lol.

Those kinds of investments are not are needed on our cars we can do almost everthing needed for more performance for anywhere between $2500-6k. Thats amazing.

So I do not look at putting a hybrid or larger Turbo on the car as a epensive take away if you choose wisely. Same goes for suspension.
Does the car need coilvers? Probably not, I am actually quite fast with car with even the stock suspension. Is it (the stock suspension) ideal for our roads here in SoCal ah probably not.
Coilovers give me matched springs with dampers, adjustment, camber adj, ride height etc.. for the price I paid for Baby KW’s why not!

Jerickson88

I’m wondering what is required for a x37/47. I’d love a 270-280 hp daily driver that can still pull 30mpg highway.

My biggest thing is how well rounded the car is for a daily and I don’t want to take away from that.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I’m wondering what is required for a x37/47. I’d love a 270-280 hp daily driver that can still pull 30mpg highway.

My biggest thing is how well rounded the car is for a daily and I don’t want to take away from that.
Mine is well over that for whp....it still gets 32mpgs+ on hwy...around town its 28.5....just remember hybrids get into boost sooner than BTs do...

Jerickson88

Mine is well over that for whp....it still gets 32mpgs+ on hwy...around town its 28.5....just remember hybrids get into boost sooner than BTs do...

Pwnall has the x37 for $1495 and looks like a solid line for the 265/280 mark on 93. Not really interested in meth or getting in deep. Pretty good dollar to power ratio. 70 hp for $1500? I’m guessing to reap the biggest benefits I need a high flow cat and intercooler upgrade?

Se7eN

Same here, at least with 93oct, it actually doesn't burn more gas then the stock turbo did. But if you step on it...

what sort of "on the highway" is getting you tune guys 30+ MPG. I notice that I show 30ish at under 70mph. but at like 77 it's like 24mpg

jeff

2000 Post Club

what sort of "on the highway" is getting you tune guys 30+ MPG. I notice that I show 30ish at under 70mph. but at like 77 it's like 24mpg
I consistently get 36+ mpg on the highway driving on my X47. Just did a trip Monday and it measured exactly 36. I've seen as high as 38 without the A/C on.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Pwnall has the x37 for $1495 and looks like a solid line for the 265/280 mark on 93. Not really interested in meth or getting in deep. Pretty good dollar to power ratio. 70 hp for $1500? I’m guessing to reap the biggest benefits I need a high flow cat and intercooler upgrade?
You don't need a high flow cat save your money unless you want one. You need a intercooler, and upgrading the diverter valve would be a good idea as well. I'm trying to save you some money.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Jerickson88

You don't need a high flow cat save your money unless you want one. You need a intercooler, and upgrading the diverter valve would be a good idea as well. I'm trying to save you some money.

Just did the turbosmart mechanical 50/50 last night. Is there any gain to be had from the down pipe? I talked to Ron @ Whoosh a few hours ago. They have a hybrid that’s coming out soon, USA made in the same price point as the x37.

Ordered a RMM last night. At this point I have the TS Dual Port, Drop in filter, RMM, symposer delete. AP3 in a few weeks. Intercooler to come with income tax (probably a Whoosh v1?)

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Just did the turbosmart mechanical 50/50 last night. Is there any gain to be had from the down pipe? I talked to Ron @ Whoosh a few hours ago. They have a hybrid that’s coming out soon, USA made in the same price point as the x37.
Honestly I don't know how much you would actually gain from it. I just know it's not a requirement. You can rock that stock downpipe just fine.

Jerickson88

Honestly I don't know how much you would actually gain from it. I just know it's not a requirement. You can rock that stock downpipe just fine.

I haven’t looked at it to descern whether there’s studs or bolts (assuming studs) I’d hate to break off one of those. I’ll do the work myself. I’m equipped to do so.

The least I have to spend the better. I’m fine to run my stock exhaust and air box.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The x37 is a great little turbo! If you dont want a BT.....But remember a BT usually has room to grow and can handle the extra workload If you ever wanted to go further.... If you want a BT keep your eye out on the forum for a used one....or brand new in box like me. You just have to be quick on the draw!

CSM

1000 Post Club
Just a heads up the X37 isn't readily available anymore even though its listed on some vendor sites. I contacted Pumaspeed directly recently asking about it and also Stratified recently about it and X37 isn't going to be a regular offering. The demand is more for X47R and so the X37 may be sporadically offered throughout the course of the year.

I recently missed out on a brand new in box X37 for $800 shipped on a facebook group. Missed it by a couple hours! ugh

Jerickson88

Just a heads up the X37 isn't readily available anymore even though its listed on some vendor sites. I contacted Pumaspeed directly recently asking about it and also Stratified recently about it and X37 isn't going to be a regular offering. The demand is more for X47R and so the X37 may be sporadically offered throughout the course of the year.

I recently missed out on a brand new in box X37 for $800 shipped on a facebook group. Missed it by a couple hours! ugh
A little birdie told me that Whoosh is about to release a hybrid, hovering in the $1500 price range, with hopes of 290hp and better, and that the test units are to be installed within the next few weeks. I’m just gonna get ready for the release on that