Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone Own/Driven a Flex???

I have been thinking about getting one as a second vehicle. I need something that seats 7 that isn't a minivan.
There is an ecoboost model that is fairly priced I might go look at.

Any opinions would be helpful.

zanethan

Never driven one but I like the way they look.

Not sure what your budget is but early '00s suburban are tough as nails and reliable as hell. My moms was at 250k with no major issues and was pretty neglected it's entire life.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I think gonna pick one up in the future sometime but will be a fwd non ecoboost as less maintenance issues.

anticon

I have the Lincoln MKT (flex cousin) with the 3.5 l ecoboost. It was a great value, my wife got the luxury and the space she wanted. I got the 350 hp and the closest thing to a wagon I was going to talk her into. I would recommend it. Be aware that the awd ptu needs to be serviced regularly. There are even tuners for it to put it over 400 hp pretty easily.

OP
G
Thread Starter #6
Yeah I am trying to decide if the ecoboost/awd is worth the extra maintenance. I have an st do I really need a Flex Ecoboost?

I was thinking about getting a Flex Ecoboost in about a year. Loved the 3.5 V6 twin turbo in my SHO before I traded it in. If you get an AWD model whether it's the Ecoboost or not, keep an eye on the PTU

Have owned multiple Flex since their introduction and love the functionality and comfort for our family of five, including the one we have now. Each of ours has been AWD 3.5L (non-ecoboost).

Full disclosure; I work for Ford.

Not bad cars. We have one that comes in at work, but when you have to fix them parts aren't exactly cheap.

Before I bought my Explorer, I spent a couple of weeks with the Flex. Very cool vehicle considering it is one of the modern day sleepers. This is the ecoboost model that is. I ultimately chose the explorer. I think the chassis is shared across the Explorer , Taurus, Flex, and Lincoln variant. Of note, the chassis is a Volvo designed chassis that will most likely be redisgned in the next couple of years.

OP
G
Thread Starter #11
Before I bought my Explorer, I spent a couple of weeks with the Flex. Very cool vehicle considering it is one of the modern day sleepers. This is the ecoboost model that is. I ultimately chose the explorer. I think the chassis is shared across the Explorer , Taurus, Flex, and Lincoln variant. Of note, the chassis is a Volvo designed chassis that will most likely be redisgned in the next couple of years.
Why did you choose the explorer

Why did you choose the explorer
I chose the explorer (Platinum) because it felt a little bit more upscale with materials. My kids are teenagers and I was not worried about the interior receiving extra wear. I felt like the flex was a little bit cheaper on the materials in the rear cabin area. The surfaces were more hard and probably easier to clean. If I had little kids I probably would have looked closer at the flex. I also noticed the difference in how they drive. The flex felt like it was a little bit lower to the ground not sure that was actually the case, though and it felt a little bit more like a car. I think the styling of the FLex is great. Every time I see one go by it reminds me of an old 40's Ford Panel Van. The looks are timeless. The explorer on the other hand is very dated...If you decide the Flex I would go Ecoboost, but then again I am a huge turbo fan. I have owned numerous Ecoboost vehicles and have been very happy with them.