Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What Now?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Here is an article that sums up what I have been talking about since my "Fiesta is dead" post a few weeks ago https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...in-retrench-mode-this-time-to-make-real-money

Jalopnik had another today that was spot-on to what I have been saying for the past few months. https://jalopnik.com/three-thoughts-on-fords-decision-to-kill-its-small-cars-1825577563

Everything has been pointing to this happening and has been pointing this way for the past year. No new Ford car announcements at auto shows besides the Mustang, no Ford cars present at press events except for the Mustang, the Mustang named the next NASCAR last week instead of the Fusion, redesign of the Fusion cancelled, police departments only getting training in Explorers, Fields being fired for not being aggressive enough and moving fast enough, investors demanding change, and the Tesla market value exceeding GM and Ford. What about gas prices going up? Won't matter, they will have a hybrid for that. If you could read the signs, you could see it coming. I just never guessed it would be this massive.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
The doom days are upon us indeed. The public doesn't want anything but SUVs, and apparently the manufacturers are heeding this call. It is indeed a pity that Ford is killing of the hatches and the sedans, but let's face it: the non ST variants are pretty uninspiring. Thus, it does make business sense to drop the floundering products from the lineup.

I am a bit more surprised at the Cadillac's decision to axe the CTS and the ATS. I suppose this means admitting another defeat by failing to compete with the 5 and the 3 series, much like the Caddy that "zigged". The Cadillac division's boss made some vague promises about having some cars that will continue the legacy of the Vs, but... I'm going to hold on to my unicorn then.

It's just sad. We're heading straight into the dystopian future of self-driving robotic pods, and are killing off the fun cars on the way (in the US, anyway). I suppose it would make sense that given the choice of a blob on wheels and a Maliby, the decision would be relatively easy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I'll tell ya, everyone and their great grand auntie HATES ON those, but the Premium hatch manual RS I could actually live with (the silver looks pretty good to me), especially if the Bowtie dealers would drop the price to under $16K. [thumb]

One of those was the ONLY other new car I was even considering along with the FiST, and I was pretty surprised to be as impressed as I was with it on the short test drive I did with one. ;)
These same people hate on the Fiesta... because it's not a gas guzzling boat.

If you look at the HP spec for the 1.4L turbo, you'll notice that it is rated 138 HP and 148 Tq at *VERY* low RPMs.
http://www.chevrolet.com/byo-vc/client/en/US/chevrolet/sonic/2018/sonic/config

• 138 hp @ 4900 rpm
  • 148 lb-ft of torque @ 1850 rpm/auto, 2500 rpm/manual

Now, what does that mean to you folks who like to tweak and tune? POTENTIAL... (depending on bottom-end specs like stroke of course)

It's a 12.5% drop in displacement vs the FiST, but generally speaking, smaller forged internals means higher revving. Make it breathe baby...
(or not - http://rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-53-big-bore-or-long-stroke-which-is-better/)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Ford saw how FCA was rewarded for ditching cars. Then Ford saw how Jeep continually outperforms the rest of the FCA brands. Ford's stock jumped 2% as a result of the Q1 announcement to kill cars. GM will now accelerate the process in hopes of a similar jump in share price. By 2020, I expect there only to be about a 10% mix of cars and the rest all trucks, SUV's, and crossovers. The only cars that will be left will be the Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, the new Caddy something alphabet soup (the ATS and CTS got cut and replaced with a single model), and probably not much more. FCA is killing or has already killed the 300. It is still flopping around, but not going to make it. Charger and Challenger are on old platforms that are set to expire. I don't expect Dodge to exist much longer. Chevy has the Malibu and I don't expect that to live. I thought I read someplace that the Chevy B and C cars are planned to expire without a replacement. If you want a car, you have either European or Asian to pick from. I don't expect that to last long either.
How much longer until no Fiat smaller than a mid sized CUV are brought in (are the Spider and Abarth already gone?)?

I guess if someone wants a small, non-Asian ragtop, they'd better JUMP on an Abarth Spider, RIGHT QUICK! [dunno]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Here is an article that sums up what I have been talking about since my "Fiesta is dead" post a few weeks ago https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...in-retrench-mode-this-time-to-make-real-money

Jalopnik had another today that was spot-on to what I have been saying for the past few months. https://jalopnik.com/three-thoughts-on-fords-decision-to-kill-its-small-cars-1825577563

Everything has been pointing to this happening and has been pointing this way for the past year. No new Ford car announcements at auto shows besides the Mustang, no Ford cars present at press events except for the Mustang, the Mustang named the next NASCAR last week instead of the Fusion, redesign of the Fusion cancelled, police departments only getting training in Explorers, Fields being fired for not being aggressive enough and moving fast enough, investors demanding change, and the Tesla market value exceeding GM and Ford. What about gas prices going up? Won't matter, they will have a hybrid for that. If you could read the signs, you could see it coming. I just never guessed it would be this massive.
Like I said, the GREEDY investors have to take their share of the blame here as well, even though other greedy market playaz will say they don't blame them ONE EFFING BIT! [mad]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's just sad. We're heading straight into the dystopian future of self-driving robotic pods, and are killing off the fun cars on the way (in the US, anyway). I suppose it would make sense that given the choice of a blob on wheels and a Maliby, the decision would be relatively easy.
At that point if my fist were gone or outlawed, I would rather walk or ride my road bike (BICYCLE) anywhere I had to go, unless they tried to outlaw THAT as well due to it 'interfering with' their 'blob's' sensors. [rant]

Like I said, the GREEDY investors have to take their share of the blame here as well, even though other greedy market playaz will say they don't blame them ONE EFFING BIT! [mad]
Sadly my holdings in Ford aren't enough to make a difference, that being said, I did sell all shares the other night (after waiting for it to settle and level off a bit after the spike) I can't support a company that would stab me like that. My money will be in a company whose actions I can support.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
As far as the general, lemming masses go, you are CORRECT. [thumb]

But I was mainly referring to those on HERE who hate on the Sonic. ;)
People here seem to "hate on" or discriminate against Sonic, not because of its attributes, so much as who makes it. Just like the FiST, properly dressed, it makes a sharp vehicle. Undressed, yeah it's underwhelming. It's still quick nimble light weight but versatile manual shift. BMW Mini and other vehicles mentioned aren't exactly known for big HP numbers either. But that hasn't stopped them from giving accolades, despite all the admitted mechanical issues and shortcomings. Most of it I suspect comes down to old historically based rep and miserable customer service experiences.

Im happy enjoying what I have now. I am honestly worried that with a baby on the way I will have to get something slightly larger even though the wife is insisting that my car will be fine.. I dont know how a stroller will fit in the back. Shes ok riding in the back with baby (for now..so she says) so my last concern is the ride being too harsh. I just swapped the summers back on and realized just how much the all seasons in 205/50-16 helped with the bouncing/stiff ride.

IF I have to change cars my list includes: Mk7 GTI SE, 10th gen Civic Si, WRX (probably too expensive), and another FoST. The new Accord is pretty neat but its HUGE. Cars keep getting bigger with every generation :(.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
A Miata, factory racer or a Flying Miata one. These things are seriously quick. But, yeah, no trunk to speak of.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
People here seem to "hate on" or discriminate against Sonic, not because of its attributes, so much as who makes it. Just like the FiST, properly dressed, it makes a sharp vehicle. Undressed, yeah it's underwhelming. It's still quick nimble light weight but versatile manual shift. BMW Mini and other vehicles mentioned aren't exactly known for big HP numbers either. But that hasn't stopped them from giving accolades, despite all the admitted mechanical issues and shortcomings. Most of it I suspect comes down to old historically based rep and miserable customer service experiences.

Yeah, I generally DESPISE split five spoke wheels, but those (maybe because they are larger diameter 17s, instead of the 15s/16s everyone uses) actually look OK to me in black, for factory wheels. [thumb]

As I was sitting at a light yesterday, a silver one flew by, and it DID look really good to me with those black wheels. :)

It's funny how all of the Nipponphiles/JDMerz will rag on ANY/ALL domestic name-plated product, while ONLY giving an exception to OUR particular car (and many even hating on it as well, after ownership, in order to remain loyal to their Japan ONLY 'roots'? [dunno]) and then STILL hating on the badge on the nose (even BEFORE this 'traitorous' cutting announcement of our fave cars from them).

I guess that so many of them grew up with their parents ONLY EVER buying Nippon product, so it is ALL they ever knew from.
They do not understand WHAT was REALLY going on HERE in the mid 70s to mid 90s with Japan practicing BLATANT currency manipulation, and abject DUMPING of product in order to gain a majority market share, and can ONLY regurgitate the same old tired tomes about how the Big 3 brought it on themselves ONLY because of piss poor/shit product (which YES they DID produce much of, but it was NOT the ONLY reason for their demise [wink]) which is ALL they EVER heard from their parents.

Something is NOT the 'epitome of perfection' just because it is screwed together in Kyoto/Toyota City with all Nippon parts, or even in Ohio/wherever here, with mixed country of origin parts. [nono]

Last edited:
The only other hot hatch catching my eye is the Veloster N. I have a feeling the Civic Si will come with a bigger turbo motor soon.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
How much longer until no Fiat smaller than a mid sized CUV are brought in (are the Spider and Abarth already gone?)?

I guess if someone wants a small, non-Asian ragtop, they'd better JUMP on an Abarth Spider, RIGHT QUICK! [dunno]
Do you me a the 124? Its not going anywhere its jointly manufactured platform with the Miata. 500 Abarth? Actually FCA has done pretty well with 500’s and they have an Electric one. As far as far as the Abarth goes it could see the Axe but its the Italians and they tend to not always follow convention.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Do you me a the 124? Its not going anywhere its jointly manufactured platform with the Miata. 500 Abarth? Actually FCA has done pretty well with 500’s and they have an Electric one. As far as far as the Abarth goes it could see the Axe but its the Italians and they tend to not always follow convention.
Yeah the electrics are cheap too you can lease for 49/month here.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thinking Mini, Toyota Corolla (you can get a manual!), Mazda3, Veloster N, or look for a used something else. I don't see buying another Ford as long as the current CEO is there. The only new Ford that I am kind of intrigued with, is the Ranger Raptor, but that isn't sold here, will probably be stupid expensive, and I doubt I could fit it in my garage.

I do think the majority of Ford car owners will defect to VW or Mazda, at least the hatchback owners. Possibly Subaru with the WRX, assuming that will continue to live on. There was always this theory that if you could get a new buyer in an entry level car, they would grow with the brand. You buy a Fiesta or Focus after college and retire with a Lincoln. All along the way, you go back to the brand to buy your next car for the next step in your life. You build brand loyalty. Ford said FU, we don't care. We only want to sell high priced Mustangs, Crossovers, SUV's, and Trucks that will make a huge profit and don't care about being loyal. In the almost 40 years on this earth, I have never been away from Ford. Think about that level of loyalty. I have been riding in or owning Fords for longer than most people are married. That is being brand loyal. Ford says none of that matters and I will have to find a new car company. They have no interest in growing loyalty. The idea of losing a customer isn't a concern. I am willing to bet that the majority of Focus and Fiesta buyers, especially the ST and RS models won't buy their next car from Ford. They aren't the type of buyer that loves to have the same SUV as their neighbor. They won't buy a F-150. They think the Edge ST is stupid. Those buyers, the ones that bring loyalty and enthusiasm to the brand will go someplace else.
Having owned multiple businesses you need to understand you will quickly go broke trying to sell a product the public does not want. Americans are not currently buying cars, the rest of the world is. So you sell Americans what they want not what niche car owners like us think they should buy. This country has always been enamoured with big vehicles and endless cheap gas. Also the manual transmission has died. Only 3% of US sales are manual transmissions. The Fiesta with the crap auto is a chain around Ford's neck in reliability ratings. Why spend millions to build a new reliable transmission for a car that you can't sell. In some countries the manuals are 80% of sales. The best selling vehicle since dinosaurs is the F-150 which gets longer, wider and more horsepower every year to be able to sell new ones. I hate it but understand from a business standpoint. Ford's obligation is to the stockholders and customers. Ford makes outrageous money on trucks and SUV's why as a business would you want to sell four Fiesta's to make what you do on one F-150? I posted an article today about fully loaded new 2018 ST's for $17K. Other than the hard core like us nobody wants a damn thing to do with a Fiesta or Focus. I do not know what I would replace it with but it will not be an auto so that kills Nissan and Toyota, I love Mazda's looks and handling but power sucks. Walk before a driving a GM, Subie's are nice but our dealer is a bad joke. No Fiat's, BMW's or VW's. I do like what I am seeing from Hyundai and KIA for the past few years. So in reality if I totaled my FiST I would probably search for a nice used one.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It’s too bad they didn’t put the aisin trans that the Abarth used into the fiesta/st, lots of cars use it and it’s rated for I think 500lb ft. The way fiat tuned it, you even get pops on up and downshifts.

Fords car abandonment won’t be permanent.

Especially if gas prices keep climbing

My next car will be an evo after I pay the fiesta off

I don't consider the mk7 GTI's to be a hot hatch anymore. They're more fwd GT car than hot hatch. I owned one for two years and thought it was incredibly boring to drive.

My next car will be an ND Miata or old e46 m3 and keep the FiST as a fun track toy.