Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission fluid change

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Most of the advice on here is sound, but think some folks suggest to do things that are actually more labor-intensive, imo.

For example, I was reading up on how to replace the fog bulbs and most people suggested headlight removal. Absolutely no need for that. You simply pop off (one plastic snap on rivet and a torx bit screw(I actually just used an allen key)) the corner of the wheel well and they are right there. Actually, you can do the passenger side just from reaching underneath. However, the IC hose makes the driver side a bit tricky from underneath.

I know the headlight is easy to remove, but running my extended tubing with funnel is even easier. Besides, I already have it lying around, might as well use it.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

anticon

I just did this tonight, I decided to just put it on stands since I have them readily available. I also don't have a long socket extension. I pulled the airbox, and just used the ravenol bottle filler tube. I had it all done in about 40 minutes. It was one of the easier things I've done on the car.

Shifts are better, but I feel like I still have gear whine, it's just a lower note. I drained about 1.7 quarts from the stock fluid. I put all 2 liters of Ravenol MTF2 in.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I just did this tonight, I decided to just put it on stands since I have them readily available. I also don't have a long socket extension. I pulled the airbox, and just used the ravenol bottle filler tube. I had it all done in about 40 minutes. It was one of the easier things I've done on the car.

Shifts are better, but I feel like I still have gear whine, it's just a lower note. I drained about 1.7 quarts from the stock fluid. I put all 2 liters of Ravenol MTF2 in.
What year is your FiST?
Give it some time, I bet the whine will eventually go away.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
2017, 6k miles. I hope it goes away, I only test drove it for a few miles.
At what miles did you notice the whine? I also have a 17 with a tad over 5k and dont have any noise (yet). I was gonna wait till 10k to change it, but now I'm thinking to do it asap.

anticon

At what miles did you notice the whine? I also have a 17 with a tad over 5k and dont have any noise (yet). I was gonna wait till 10k to change it, but now I'm thinking to do it asap.
Almost immediately, I noticed it only in 6th gear at around 60 mph, under very light acceleration. I've never had a turbo before so I attributed it to that at first, but now I know better.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Almost immediately, I noticed it only in 6th gear at around 60 mph, under very light acceleration. I've never had a turbo before so I attributed it to that at first, but now I know better.
I have a '17 and noticed it very early on too and did my gear oil change at 12.5k and also still notice still a bit of gear whine in 6th also, but much less... also smoother shifting right away and getting even better since I did it 3 weeks ago, I'd do it right away... And Steve, thanks for sharing your results too, you should feel smoother shifting over time as well.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I bet the castrol syn fe 75w that's supposed to be the "holy grail" for the B6 can be bought online and shipped to the US. Might be pricey doing so and I really wonder how much different it is from the ravenol mtf2, if at all. I must do some research on this.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I bet the castrol syn fe 75w that's supposed to be the "holy grail" for the B6 can be bought online and shipped to the US. Might be pricey doing so and I really wonder how much different it is from the ravenol mtf2, if at all. I must do some research on this.
Yep, that's definitely one of the ones I saw that's available overseas, hadn't heard anything about it being the "holy grail", interesting! But trust those of us who have done the Ravenol MTF-2 when we say that it helps a LOT, I'm also now curious about the stuff Ron carries now too.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
On the beginning of this thread someone mentioned that the oem ford dct fluid is 75w-80. I believe that is incorrect. From what I can tell, it's a straight 75w, akin to the castrol fe 75w and the oem volvo stuff that meet our spec. Point is, the ravenol mt-3 is what would be the closest to what ford puts in. I am not saying that peeps should choose the 3 over 2, just wanted to point that out....
What I find interesting though, is that both mt-2 AND mt-3 meet ford's spec. So, viscosity can vary (albeit slightly) and still be spec.
I guess 2 would be a bit better overall for viscosity, but 3 would be better in cold climates(this was mentioned earlier).

I'm the nyc area and it does get cold out here and I do make occasional trips north, but I think I will go with mt-2. It seems like the better choice.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Regardless of weight/viscosity, DCT fluids are more akin to ATFs (in base stock composition, additives, friction modifiers, etc.) than to GL-4 gear lubes/Manual Transmission Fluids.

A fully GL-4 rated gear oil/MTF will ALWAYS protect bearings, sleeves, and ANY contact points in a manual gearbox better than even the 'top shelf' (even 'boutique' level) BEST ATFs, or DCTFs, as well as generally be much more shear stable between the meshing gears themselves. [wink]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Regardless of weight/viscosity, DCT fluids are more akin to ATFs (in composition, additives, friction modifiers, etc.) than to GL-4 gear lubes/Manual Transmission Fluids.

A fully GL-4 rated gear oil/MTF will ALWAYS protect bearings, sleeves, and ANY contact points in a manual gearbox better than even the 'top shelf' (even 'boutique' level) BEST ATFs, or DCTFs, as well as generally be much more shear stable between the meshing gears themselves. [wink]
Absolutely, and that's why I went MTF-2 as no way is DCT fluid going to protect manual bearings and gears as well as actual manual trans gear oil.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
On the beginning of this thread someone mentioned that the oem ford dct fluid is 75w-80. I believe that is incorrect. From what I can tell, it's a straight 75w, akin to the castrol fe 75w and the oem volvo stuff that meet our spec. Point is, the ravenol mt-3 is what would be the closest to what ford puts in. I am not saying that peeps should choose the 3 over 2, just wanted to point that out....
What I find interesting though, is that both mt-2 AND mt-3 meet ford's spec. So, viscosity can vary (albeit slightly) and still be spec.
I guess 2 would be a bit better overall for viscosity, but 3 would be better in cold climates(this was mentioned earlier).

I'm the nyc area and it does get cold out here and I do make occasional trips north, but I think I will go with mt-2. It seems like the better choice.
No one said that the Ford DCT fluid was 75w-80, but indeed both MTF-2 and MTF-3 meet Ford spec, but that little bit of viscosity variance I think will help with temp differences and why I went with MTF-2.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
No one said that the Ford DCT fluid was 75w-80, but indeed both MTF-2 and MTF-3 meet Ford spec, but that little bit of viscosity variance I think will help with temp differences and why I went with MTF-2.
You didn't, but it was stated as such. I'm not looking to call anybody out (hence why I didn't direct quote them), just thought I should clarify that, just in case they got confused like I originally did.

I'm with you on the mt-2. [emoji106]

Btw, anybody else feel like this oil talk is venturing into BITOG[emoji851] territory? Lol. Ive been reading the oil megathread on here and my head is spinning. [emoji43]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You didn't, but it was stated as such. I'm not looking to call anybody out (hence why I didn't direct quote them), just thought I should clarify that, just in case they got confused like I originally did.

Btw, anybody else feel like this oil talk is venturing into BITOG[emoji851] territory? Lol. Ive been reading the oil megathread on here and my head is spinning. [emoji43]
It always end up in BITOG Territory....I just observe and try not to get technical.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club

Btw, anybody else feel like this oil talk is venturing into BITOG[emoji851] territory? Lol. Ive been reading the oil megathread on here and my head is spinning. (pics redacted for space considerations)
Good find! So 75w-80 is indeed factory weight, we have that finally settled! :)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
On the beginning of this thread someone mentioned that the oem ford dct fluid is 75w-80. I believe that is incorrect. From what I can tell, it's a straight 75w, akin to the castrol fe 75w and the oem volvo stuff that meet our spec. ....................................................................... viscosity can vary (albeit slightly) and still be spec. .............................................................................................................. I'm the nyc area and it does get cold out here and I do make occasional trips north, but I think I will go with mt-2. It seems like the better choice.
As a general rule, thinner is better for cold.

Knew this is what you're referring to when I saw the first sentence...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum...n-fluid-change?p=296666&viewfull=1#post296666

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/mantrans.pdf
...says that part XT-M5-QS (spec WSD-M2C200-C) replaces SAE 80W Manual Transmission Fluid.

I only chose Castrol because it's done a superb job of keeping my engines healthy and clean. Never had an issue out of the ATF or transmission that I was using in my prior manual shift. So the decision is simply on a matter of trust. On that same note, I rather dislike their fuels, which is British Petroleum a.k.a. BP.

BITOG forum BTW which I ran across only a few minutes ago, seems to think it's 75W-90. [wink]

It's okay to quote and disagree; it's what forums are for. People who are overly sensitive and like to censor aren't truly interested in sharing ideas and information. Prior to the original post, had a hard time trying to locate information on the fluid weight based on part number and apparently ran across some misinformation. Actually I think I gave up on that and then tried to search based on specification and that's where I ran into what might be misinformation. Anyway thanks for replying.

Point is, the ravenol mt-3 is what would be the closest to what ford puts in. I am not saying that peeps should choose the 3 over 2, just wanted to point that out....
What I find interesting though, is that both mt-2 AND mt-3 meet ford's spec. So, ............................................ I guess 2 would be a bit better overall for viscosity, but 3 would be better in cold climates(this was mentioned earlier). ...............................................
Given your location up North, if 3 is thinner than 2, I would agree.