Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1.6L EcoBoost Engine

Hey Guys,

When I got my FiST, I knew that the motor & powertrain shared nothing in common with the regular Fiesta, (which is a great thing). I knew it came with the 1.6 L EcoBoost engine that used to be in the Fusion? I was wondering if anyone could educate me on some more history of where the motor in our cars came from and if it's turned out to be reliable to you guys out there? I have less than 5k miles on mine and it's just about time to bring it in for it's first service, so I haven't had it near long enough... other than to tell you everything is great with mine so far.

Would just love to here some personal experiences and if it's a good motor in present day as far as reliability? Performance is obviously great. I tried to do my own research and it was saying to avoid this motor like the plague, but that was also from 2015 and before... Anything you guys can tell me about the 1.6L EcoBoost motor in our cars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

PhoenixM3

It’s a pretty rock solid motor which responds well to basic modifications (as you may know). I’m on my second FiST now always looking for a new one with Recaros. As far as history goes, I’m not sure if this was the same motor used in the Fusion prior to the 1.5 being introduced.

The 1.6 as far as I know was pretty much introduced in 2013 in the Escape and Fusion. Then they decided to turn up the tune and put it in the Fiesta. AFAIK The engine mechanically hasn't had many failures in the Fiesta aside from the coolant system in early builds, and sometimes with high enough mileage I suppose the turbo oil feed may start to leak. I've seen the 1.6 needing head gasket repairs or new bottom ends in the Escape and the Fusion, but I've always had a suspicion that it has something to do with the automatic transmission shifting too early, causing LSPI, and causing it frequently.

In personal experience though, in this ST it has been fantastic. 20k in a little over the first year and I've not had a single issue.

/My two cents.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You should change that oil soon if it's the original engine oil from the factory and your at 5k miles. Getting the break-in oil out after 1k miles and replacing with a high quality synthetic oil for GDI engines is typically best practice. Something like Amsoil Signature 5W-20 (or even 5W-30 given you are in California). Wouldn't hurt to get an oil analysis too.

No issues here after 75k miles and there are some folks out there in excess of 200k miles. Many beyond 100k.

the duke

I believe these motors are near identical with the Freestyle 1.6L turbo specifically. Like, take off the assembly-line and drop it in a fiesta and that's how ford made the Fiesta ST identical.

These are one of those rare motors that are just can't be killed even with some abuse. The valvetrain is said to be good to 7500+rpm stock. Clutches good to race at 350whp. Transmissions to 350-400whp as well. Bottom ends I believe over 400 stock. Provided you want to pay, they can make more. Maintenance consists of oil. That's about it. Using MAP made things much easier as well, the car doesn't give a shit how the air enters, it just needs air and fuel.

They're 90s JDM turbo motors. Being the so far in the lifetime of the Ecoboost architecture paid big dividends (And technically an off-shoot of the Mazda MZR architecture). The consensus is the EGR system does a really good job of vaporization and keeping the valve clean so the usual DI shot blasting procedure isn't really needed. Combined with a 2700LB stiff chassis makes this car special in many ways. We're just hampered by being based a (Admittedly) small cheap car and the associated issues with it (Corrosion for some, tired width, etc.)

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
This is a topic that I'm really interested in, I did a bunch of research on it both before and after I bought the car, and was really pleased with what I found.
These motors have been very durable. As the duke says above, a lot of people are pushing a considerable amount of extra horsepower through them, and the motors (and transmissions and clutches) are holding up fine. There was a member on here who had over 180,000 miles on his car, and it had been trouble-free, and was even on the original clutch.
One thing that made me feel good about their durability when I was researching them was that I discovered our 1.6 liter motors are used virtually stock in the Formula Ford racing series, with just a dry-sump added. Obviously if they can stand up to the demands of a racing series, they must be pretty tough. There's also this, my favorite Fiesta ST video where the author and a professional rally driver drive the crap out of a stock Fiesta ST over a winter rally course, and it holds up fine. The professional rally Fiesta ST also has a stock drivetrain. Enjoy.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM1nkR8pkX4

Last edited:

haste

1000 Post Club
Hey Guys,

When I got my FiST, I knew that the motor & powertrain shared nothing in common with the regular Fiesta, (which is a great thing). I knew it came with the 1.6 L EcoBoost engine that used to be in the Fusion? I was wondering if anyone could educate me on some more history of where the motor in our cars came from and if it's turned out to be reliable to you guys out there? I have less than 5k miles on mine and it's just about time to bring it in for it's first service, so I haven't had it near long enough... other than to tell you everything is great with mine so far.

Would just love to here some personal experiences and if it's a good motor in present day as far as reliability? Performance is obviously great. I tried to do my own research and it was saying to avoid this motor like the plague, but that was also from 2015 and before... Anything you guys can tell me about the 1.6L EcoBoost motor in our cars is much appreciated.

Thank you!
Here is a great breakdown/article of these engines.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/ford-ecoboost-1-6l-analysis-turbocharged-direct-injection-ccvtc/

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I believe these motors are near identical with the Freestyle 1.6L turbo specifically. Like, take off the assembly-line and drop it in a fiesta and that's how ford made the Fiesta ST identical.

These are one of those rare motors that are just can't be killed even with some abuse. The valvetrain is said to be good to 7500+rpm stock. Clutches good to race at 350whp. Transmissions to 350-400whp as well. Bottom ends I believe over 400 stock. Provided you want to pay, they can make more. Maintenance consists of oil. That's about it. Using MAP made things much easier as well, the car doesn't give a shit how the air enters, it just needs air and fuel.

They're 90s JDM turbo motors. Being the so far in the lifetime of the Ecoboost architecture paid big dividends (And technically an off-shoot of the Mazda MZR architecture). The consensus is the EGR system does a really good job of vaporization and keeping the valve clean so the usual DI shot blasting procedure isn't really needed. Combined with a 2700LB stiff chassis makes this car special in many ways. We're just hampered by being based a (Admittedly) small cheap car and the associated issues with it (Corrosion for some, tired width, etc.)
We also have the weight benefit of an ALLOY short block, unlike most of those 'indestructible' JDM IRON bottom ends (although most will claim that they can handle much more cylinder pressure {boost}, given a forged rotating assembly,specifically because of those iron blocks).

Don't get me wrong our motors are stout and torque crazy but..... There's something about a high rev iron block motor that calls to me also. Now our little motor ib the fist chassis is crazy fun just imagine building a go-kart around it.