Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

10-Second EcoBoost Mustang 4-Cylinder - FASTEST IN THE WORLD

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
http://speedsociety.com/10-second-ecoboost-mustang-4-cylinder-fastest-in-the-world/

Even as recent as five years ago, if we told you that the latest thing in Ford Mustang performance was a turbo four cylinder, you might have a belly laugh right in our faces....One look at this particular Mustang, however, will show you that the EcoBoost powerplant is no laughing matter at all, especially when you’re looking at an example that has dipped into the 10s!

Less than a year after the platform was introduced, companies like Watson Racing and Revolution Automotive who collaborated on this bad boy are pushing the newer setups toward the single digits!

Check out the BigKleib34 video below of what is currently the fastest EcoBoost powered Mustang in the world. Earlier in the day, the car managed to muster a 10.58-second pass which it backed up with the 10.59 that we see below....

Published on Nov 15, 2015

At about 30psi of boost, this animal makes somewhere in the ballpark of 500hp which is good enough to set the record! The official time is a 10.58 and we were able to capture the car going a 10.59 at Cecil County Dragway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ZnKayZ7pI#t=115

[video=youtube;87ZnKayZ7pI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ZnKayZ7pI#t=115[/video]

The car was a collaborative effort between Watson Racing and Revolution Automotive.

Powertrain
CPE provided built short block
Camshafts: Stock EcoBoost 2.3-liter
Cylinder Heads: Stock EcoBoost 2.3-liter
Intake: Stock EcoBoost 2.3-liter
Power Adder: Precision Turbo 55mm turbocharger on a CPE manifold w/ a JLT Performance CAI and a JPC custom air-to-water intercooler
Fuel System: Stock w/ Aeromotive Cobra Jet pump in Aeromotive fuel cell w/ Watson Racing tie-down
CPE secondary injectors
Exhaust: Custom JPC Racing 3-inch exhaust w/ a Bassani muffler
Transmission: Stock w/ Dynotech one-piece aluminum driveshaft and Watson Racing driveshaft safety loop
Rearend: Stock IRS Super 8.8 w/ Ford Performance Racing Parts halfshafts, FPRP IRS bushings, FPRP Torsen differential, and FPRP 3.73 gears
Electronics
Engine Management: Stock TriCor PCM with Revolution custom tune via SCT Performance Livewire
Ignition: Stock
AEM Boost controller
Front Suspension
K-member: Watson Racing tubular w/ Watson Racing solid engine mounts
A-arms: Watson Racing tubular
Struts: Strange Engineering
Springs: Strange Engineering
Brakes: Aerospace Components w/ Watson Racing stainless steel brake lines
Wheels: Race Star
Tires: Mickey Thompson
Rear Suspension
Shocks: Strange Engineering
Springs: Stock
Brakes: Aerospace Components w/ Watson Racing stainless steel brake lines
Wheels: Race Star
Tires: Mickey Thompson

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Its making EVERY BIT of 500whp. The car has a lot of weight reduction too, so...
Maybe 500hp is about right.
Pretty good though, all they had to do was change the entire car minus the cylinder head/cams/intake, lol.
I mean... Built motor. After market K-member (big weight loss), tubular arms, lol. A completely upgraded rearend and all rearend arms/suspension. The brakes were upgraded, but prob geared more for weight reduction vs actual performance (like brakes you'd want on a road course). Prob has 2 aftermarket race seats at best.
The same mods done to a 1986 4cylinder turbo mustang would yield the same results, but with a crappy ole lump of a 2.3L from a ranger, lol (I owned one, it was awesome).

Sorry...
Just not impressed when you change every single part of a car out minus the trans to go 10.50 in race trim on special gas. A 2013 5.0L will go 11.00 with a tune, drag radials, mufflers and 125shot. Ole yea... And it still has 97% of the oem parts.

Not saying what they did was easy. Just saying for basically rebuilding the entire car, I'd expect 9's. And I'd imagine they will get there sooner or later. This also high lights the "epicness" of that mustang auto trans, it is AWESOME.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Its making EVERY BIT of 500whp. The car has a lot of weight reduction too, so...
Maybe 500hp is about right.
Pretty good though, all they had to do was change the entire car minus the cylinder head/cams/intake, lol.
I mean... Built motor. After market K-member (big weight loss), tubular arms, lol. A completely upgraded rearend and all rearend arms/suspension. The brakes were upgraded, but prob geared more for weight reduction vs actual performance (like brakes you'd want on a road course). Prob has 2 aftermarket race seats at best.
The same mods done to a 1986 4cylinder turbo mustang would yield the same results, but with a crappy ole lump of a 2.3L from a ranger, lol (I owned one, it was awesome).

Sorry...
Just not impressed when you change every single part of a car out minus the trans to go 10.50 in race trim on special gas. A 2013 5.0L will go 11.00 with a tune, drag radials, mufflers and 125shot. Ole yea... And it still has 97% of the oem parts.

Not saying what they did was easy. Just saying for basically rebuilding the entire car, I'd expect 9's. And I'd imagine they will get there sooner or later. This also high lights the "epicness" of that mustang auto trans, it is AWESOME.
I am inclined to agree, but interesting exercise of "just because" I guess. Looks well sorted and.......expensive :)

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #4
That said, It will be very interesting to see what efforts and means it will take to get a 1.6L FiST into the mid 10's...

I believe the current "fastest FiST in the US" time (FeartheSnail) was 11.977 sec?

J2FoRS

Agree with Sourskittle. I'm much more interested in the guys like Adam at Tune+ pushing the cars in more stock form to truly show what an average owner could pull off. This car has tons of money spent and there is but a mere memory of a stock Mustang in there hiding. Not very impressive to me.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #7
Yup..Like it or not this is what ends up happening (highly modified) most of time when chasing "world record" bragging numbers....LOL

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #8
It's odd how hard the community pushes because racecar until one is posted, then discounts it because it's too racecar.

It sounds funny.
Ironic isn't it...LOL!!

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Weight reduction or not the ecoboost mustang weighs what? 3500-3600lbs? Too damn heavy for me. One of the main reasons I didn't even test drive one. Like "lightweight" (<3000lbs) cars more.

LOL at almost all the comments here.

How many of you guys want to swap out the entire suspension, entire brake system, entire turbo kit and do weight reduction mods to make your lil Fist go faster around a curvy track. But as soon as a mustang does it to go down a straight track its "not impressive"

people are odd.

JasonHaven

It's amazing what launch and traction control does... Drags are so different now than when I was a kid haha

I think the car is impressive... Not *my* style, but gotta give respect for all the work that's been done. Kudos to the cpe folks!

(Yes I know it's not a cpe car, but they were the name that I recognized as being a participant here)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
There have been a total of like 3 fiesta ST's goto the drag strip with slicks, let alone people removing there windshield wiper motors to there gas tanks to break a record, lol.

What would love to see, since they basically rebuilt the entire car.... Take a fox body mustang, do the same mods to it from the K-member to the suspension and all, then put that awesome motor and trans in it.

There have been a total of like 3 fiesta ST's goto the drag strip with slicks, let alone people removing there windshield wiper motors to there gas tanks to break a record, lol.

What would love to see, since they basically rebuilt the entire car.... Take a fox body mustang, do the same mods to it from the K-member to the suspension and all, then put that awesome motor and trans in it.

There are probably only 3 that show up in slicks, because only 5 people take their Fist's to the drags in total.

Having less people show up would generally mean you wouldn't have to do innovative things like fuel cells and removing wiper systems, etc.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
That said, It will be very interesting to see what efforts and means it will take to get a 1.6L FiST into the mid 10's...

I believe the current "fastest FiST in the US" time (FeartheSnail) was 11.977 sec?
Pretty sure that's worldwide, not including the shells on the GRC/WRC cars.

DHM1

1000 Post Club

Pretty sure that's worldwide, not including the shells on the GRC/WRC cars.
lol this!

Yea car is a daily driver that he pulls the seats out of and goes 11.9@117mph lol slicks or not Daily driver with bolt ons is way cooler than race car mode. Dont get me wrong we will have a Race car (gutted no daily parts) to take down the strip for some 10sec passes soon enough.

I seen that mustang at SEMA i love it!

Russ

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #16
Yea car is a daily driver that he pulls the seats out of and goes 11.9@117mph lol slicks or not Daily driver with bolt ons is way cooler than race car mode. Dont get me wrong we will have a Race car (gutted no daily parts) to take down the strip for some 10sec passes soon enough.

I seen that mustang at SEMA i love it!

Russ
Yea I wasn't sure if that FiST was indeed reported as fastest worldwide?? I know when you originally posted the announcement here on the forum you had mentioned fastest in US...

And I have no doubt by next season you'll be well on your way to working towards the 10's Russ...As I mentioned earlier it will be interesting to see / hear what it takes to it there!

Good stuff!

Hey Boostbumps, Thanks for posting this!

All the chassis stuff was done at watson racing. Everything else was done at CP-E by yours truly. I also helped tune the car with Adam from Rev Auto.

It's just race gas you can buy at the track. No meth. No nitrous. Sure we can give it a 125 shot and be in the 9's but we are going as far as we can without power adders. There's still more power to be made and more off the shelf modifications to make it faster.

ALL of the parts besides the custom downpipe, dumptube,and intercooler are or will be commercially available products. The car participated in the SEMA cruise AND a cruise at mustang week. Power locks, windows, backup sensors are still in it, even the backup camera (no screen though). Might not be a "street car" but it's not as race car as you might think.

No launch control or traction control.

Sorry if I come off a little brash. Frustrated to read some comments (mostly elsewhere on the internet) that just dismiss it for whatever reason after all the hard work that was put into this car

Happy to answer any other questions about it.

JasonHaven

Hey Boostbumps, Thanks for posting this!

All the chassis stuff was done at watson racing. Everything else was done at CP-E by yours truly. I also helped tune the car with Adam from Rev Auto.

It's just race gas you can buy at the track. No meth. No nitrous. Sure we can give it a 125 shot and be in the 9's but we are going as far as we can without power adders. There's still more power to be made and more off the shelf modifications to make it faster.

ALL of the parts besides the custom downpipe, dumptube,and intercooler are or will be commercially available products. The car participated in the SEMA cruise AND a cruise at mustang week. Power locks, windows, backup sensors are still in it, even the backup camera (no screen though). Might not be a "street car" but it's not as race car as you might think.

No launch control or traction control.

Sorry if I come off a little brash. Frustrated to read some comments (mostly elsewhere on the internet) that just dismiss it for whatever reason after all the hard work that was put into this car

Well damn! Good launch!

DHM1

1000 Post Club

I hear you on that! Haha I love the mustang keep up the good work and don't let our focus catch up to you next year!

Russ