Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Installing Focus ST3 full leather Recaros in Fiesta ST

OP
B
Thread Starter #41
Is it possible to swap a passenger st3 seat's bottom and back pieces to the driver side non-recaro base? I found a decent looking one on ebay but it was for passenger only.
I'm pretty sure it would all bolt together, but I'm not sure if you would be able to make the seat recliner mechanism work and the shoulder airbag would be on the wrong side. Also, the Recaro lettering would be on the wrong side of the seat. Overall I don't think it's worth it.

I have found some ST2 seats from a Focus and I'm considering this now.

Just to clarify, I have full manual seats now with no heaters, if I get ST1 or ST2 seats that are manual and non-heated this becomes a much more simple process, as the airbag sensors are all that I have to worry about for wiring and they are the same as whats in my Fist now? I basically just need to concern myself with swapping the base so they are a bolt-in swap and plug in the airbag sensors?

OP
B
Thread Starter #43
as the airbag sensors are all that I have to worry about for wiring and they are the same as whats in my Fist now?
You will not need to run wires for seat heaters or the electric motors, so that will save you some work. If you are going to take the bottom Recaro bolstering and covers and put them on your stock Fiesta seat bottom then you will not have to worry about the seat belt switches or the passenger pressure sensor.

You can then take the Recaro seat backs and bolt them on to the Recaro wrapped Fiesta seat bottoms. Then you will have to connect the airbag wires from the seat backs (these are not airbag sensors, these are the actual airbags). These are not the same type of connector as the Fiesta airbag connectors (at least not in my swap) so you can use an adapter. Disclaimer, I do not really know if the airbags in the Recaro seat backs are the same as in the non-Recaro Fiesta seats, so even if you connect them I am not 100% sure they would deploy.

Maybe someone else can chime in here, I think most airbags work on the same type of signal so the Recaro FoST shoulder bags connected to the non-Recaro FiST wiring should work, but I'm not 100% on that.

The thing that stands out to me is, once the airbags are hooked up what happens when they go off? They are from a bigger car, will they inflate correctly or might they push you out of the seat etc?

The thing that stands out to me is, once the airbags are hooked up what happens when they go off? They are from a bigger car, will they inflate correctly or might they push you out of the seat etc?
You're using the Fiesta airbags and they're the same size and mount in the identical position as the focus. The only reason for the airbag swap is because the plugs are different

Rereading the first post it sure sounds like the focus bags are getting used. Looking at ford parts its the same part number for both airbags FiST so that is a big advantage, no need to screw with rewiring. I may have missed some other reason to do that but it doesn't seem like the best option.

Rereading the first post it sure sounds like the focus bags are getting used. Looking at ford parts its the same part number for both airbags FiST so that is a big advantage, no need to screw with rewiring. I may have missed some other reason to do that but it doesn't seem like the best option.
OP chose not to change the airbags but we did talk about that in this thread. I just completed this conversion and swapped over the Fiesta airbags si they would plug in. Im in the process of writing a very in depth write up so stay tuned.

Cool, there is a lot of talk on the Reddit threads about wiring and such as well. Parts bin cars make life so much easier. It's to bad the closest seats are hundreds of miles away or I would do it for just the drivers side on my car.

I'm hoping [MENTION=4060]bigbrotherjohn[/MENTION] or [MENTION=5591]LaVernWinston[/MENTION] can answer this. I am going to be swapping the full leather ST3 seat for my base model seats. Would it be possible to not transfer the power seat adjustment or seat heater over so I didn't have to worry about that wiring? Thanks for the help, I just pulled the trigger and bought the seats. Im planning to drive and pick them up on Mon.

I'm hoping [MENTION=4060]bigbrotherjohn[/MENTION] or [MENTION=5591]LaVernWinston[/MENTION] can answer this. I am going to be swapping the full leather ST3 seat for my base model seats. Would it be possible to not transfer the power seat adjustment or seat heater over so I didn't have to worry about that wiring? Thanks for the help, I just pulled the trigger and bought the seats. Im planning to drive and pick them up on Mon.
I didn't deal with either of these things but it should be possible. The only thing you change on your bottom frame is the fabric and foam. All of the features built into the bottom frame should stay the same and not get in the way.

OP
B
Thread Starter #51

Just to clarify, are they Focus ST3 seats?

If so, I don't think you will be able to retain the electric front/back adjustment or the electric raise/lower adjustment because they are built into the Focus metal seat base which will have to be swapped. The electric seat back adjustment, however, will probably have to be retained because it is built into the frame of the seat back, maybe you can take it out, I'm not sure how.

As for the heating pads, you might be able to take them out, but I dont know why you would, you could just leave them disconnected if you dont want them.

[MENTION=5591]LaVernWinston[/MENTION] & [MENTION=4060]bigbrotherjohn[/MENTION] thanks for answering back. I will post an update on here after I get them taken apart. Wish me luck I've never upholstered a seat before.

I got the driver's side installed. I had an auto upholstery shop do the seat frame an airbag swap of the Standard ST seat to the FoST 3 full leather Recaro so I can't tell how hard it was they said it was a bit of a challenge and took one of there guys the better part of the day to do it. No airbag light and everything works as it should so I'm happy.

I thought I was special with st3 no airbag light. I took all the cushions out and put the st3 cushions back on in 2 hours so the airbag, wiring, and frame are the same as stock. I'm trying to get heat pads to work though.

I thought I was special with st3 no airbag light. I took all the cushions out and put the st3 cushions back on in 2 hours so the airbag, wiring, and frame are the same as stock. I'm trying to get heat pads to work though.

Man I would so pay to go there for you to set mine up!! Mine came with heated seats so I'm sure It'll be easier!!

[MENTION=5601]pwhitefist[/MENTION] your swap/install looks good. I'm loving this upgrade.
[MENTION=1971]caliboy15[/MENTION] yes take the leather cover and padding from the Recaro's and put them on your seat fame and airbag.