Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Installing Focus ST3 full leather Recaros in Fiesta ST

I own a '16 FiST with the cloth seats. I need to replace the bottom cushion cloth cover with a new one. How hard is it? Any tips? How do I get the seat apart? Specific tools? Pic of the damage I am replacing.

Not sure if they're of any use, but anyone doing this swap is welcome to any leftover or unneeded parts from my project. Already having Recaro's, I'm turning this little Focus Orphan into my new office chair. Seat base, wiring, etc. are all going in the garbage otherwise.

Just wanted to post in and say that I have completed my recaro swap using Ford Racing aftermarket seats I got from a buddy for $475. Outside of saying "Ford Racing" they are exactly the same as ST2 Focus ST seats.

Overall process is to take the RECARO bottom cushioning/fabric, plastic bolster support and swap to FIESTA seat base. FIESTA Side Airbag (located in seat back) goes into RECARO seat back which will bolt to FIESTA seat base that you've swapped the aforementioned recaro bits to.

Badly drawn diagram:

TOOLS:
  • Mechanic's gloves (your hands will get absolutely sliced without them, trust me)
  • Various TORX Socket Set
  • Various Metric Socket Set (mostly 10mm)
  • Trim / pry tools to remove bottom cushion / fabric from bottom seat frame
  • Phillips Screwdriver
  • Drill and various small bits (think 1/4" diameter or smaller, doesn't need to be exact)
  • 3 hardware bolts (around 1/4 dia x 1/2 - 3/4 length) per seat
  • 3 locking nuts corresponding to hardware bolts per seat

General Steps:
  • Remove plastic trim/handles from recaro seat base and Fiesta seat base
  • Loosen up wiring going to seat back airbag
  • Undo seat back from their respective bases (two torx bolts on each side for a total of 4 torx holding seat back to base per seat)
  • Flip base over, pry up u-channel clips all around edging that hold the foam/fabric secure to base (note, VERY sharp metal everywhere)
  • In recaro seat base, "unhook" the bolster/fabric from the plastic bolster support riveted to the base. Imagine an upside down "U" inside the foam on each side at the front with a bar hooked into it, this is done by pushing DOWN and IN towards the opposite side on the foam/fabric from the top while using your fingers from the inside (between base and foam/fabric)
  • Remove seat foam/fabric from base. Once unhooked it just lifts up.
  • Drill out rivets holding black plastic bolster support to focus base. You'll see them, there are two at the front and one at the back.
  • Repeat from step 1 for Fiesta seats (except there is no riveted in bolster support to worry about, once you undo the clips on the underside of the base the foam and fabric just separates off)
  • Bolt bolster support black plastic to the FIESTA metal seat base using hardware bolts and locking nuts
  • Swap recaro foam/fabric over your now ready/prepared fiesta base and reclip everything. Re-"hook" the recaro foam into the bolster support by pushing DOWN from top of seat and using your fingers from the inside.
  • On both seat backs unclip / fold up the fabric starting from the bottom. On the INSIDE from the back there are two 10mm bolts holding each airbag in, undo these and swap the FIESTA airbag to the RECARO seat back. Rebolt in.
  • Fold down seat back fabric from recaro seat back, resecure it and bolt it to your newly created fiesta base with recaro bolster/foam/fabric
  • Re-secure/attach wiring and plug everything in
  • Re-install plastic trim and handles from the Fiesta base back onto the assembled seat
  • Reinstall into car, replug to car. Good to go!

Overall I'd estimate it took 3-4 hours going very slowly on the first seat and less than 2 on the second.

I didn't take too many pics but hopefully some of these help:
Recaro airbag (fiesta is a bit smaller but bolts / fits in the cutout in background)

Recaro airbag lined up with recaro seat

Recaro seat back "folded" up. Note blue velcro, be careful detatching the fabric from the foam's velcro as it may peel off the foam if you aren't careful

Seat base comparison, they're the same. Fiesta left Focus Recaro Fight

The removed recaro base foam/fabric and entire back frame with fabric/foam on it

Comparo / when I finished the driver's seat. Still need to clean them.

Zer0

Fantastic write up. You did what I failed to do months ago. The diagram is a good reference.
No worries! I actually meant to take more pictures but I was so eager to get the passenger side done I ended up just blowing through the thing way faster than expected. I fully believe anyone who's changed oil, removed a bumper, or done a brake job before can do this without issues. Ignoring the fact that you have to be very gentle with the actual inner foam, it was very easy!

Just got my full leather Recaros in today. I am going to see what I can do to retain the driver side power fuctionality as well as add in the heated seat function. Taking a quick look at the service manual for the FiST, all you need for the heated seats are to apply power to the heater mats and they will internally regulate. Need to cross ref this with the FoST service manual to make sure, but it sounds like all that would need done is to wire up relay and switch for the seats to have heated seats (EDIT: This is NOT the case for the FoST, it uses more "smarts" for controlling it. It may be possible, but not something I will be looking too much into for the time being) . EDIT: As far as keeping the power movement, it does look possible. It will, however, not be a simple tool procedure. It looks like I can grind both sets of rivots holding the FoST mounts on, which should let me remove the bottom slide. I will grind the rivots off the front mounts on the FiST seat and transfer them over the FoST slides. It will have to have a low profile, such as an elevator bolt for the back hole one the front mount to be able to clear the top slide when moved foward. The front hold can be a normal (in my case, grade 8) bolt. For the back, I will need to create a simple mount that will bolt into the stock hole, and give me a hole about an inch back to be able to mount through the bottom slide and hold down the lead screw. I will take as many pictures, make a parts list, etc of this process for anyone else wanting to do it. I know I could just simply swap out bottoms, but I like the idea of have full power too much haha
EDIT: Got the FoST mounts ground off today and picked up some bolts and flat steel stock from Lowes (came in at $25) So far it looks like I should be able to simply swap the front mount from the FiST seats to the FoST rails, and just have to come up with an "extension" mount for the backs.

Last edited:

J2FoRS

Just got my full leather Recaros in today. I am going to see what I can do to retain the driver side power fuctionality as well as add in the heated seat function. Taking a quick look at the service manual for the FiST, all you need for the heated seats are to apply power to the heater mats and they will internally regulate. Need to cross ref this with the FoST service manual to make sure, but it sounds like all that would need done is to wire up relay and switch for the seats to have heated seats (EDIT: This is NOT the case for the FoST, it uses more "smarts" for controlling it. It may be possible, but not something I will be looking too much into for the time being) . EDIT: As far as keeping the power movement, it does look possible. It will, however, not be a simple tool procedure. It looks like I can grind both sets of rivots holding the FoST mounts on, which should let me remove the bottom slide. I will grind the rivots off the front mounts on the FiST seat and transfer them over the FoST slides. It will have to have a low profile, such as an elevator bolt for the back hole one the front mount to be able to clear the top slide when moved foward. The front hold can be a normal (in my case, grade 8) bolt. For the back, I will need to create a simple mount that will bolt into the stock hole, and give me a hole about an inch back to be able to mount through the bottom slide and hold down the lead screw. I will take as many pictures, make a parts list, etc of this process for anyone else wanting to do it. I know I could just simply swap out bottoms, but I like the idea of have full power too much haha
EDIT: Got the FoST mounts ground off today and picked up some bolts and flat steel stock from Lowes (came in at $25) So far it looks like I should be able to simply swap the front mount from the FiST seats to the FoST rails, and just have to come up with an "extension" mount for the backs.
Any more info on this?
I have heated recaros but found a pair of FoST power ones id like to swap. Curious how difficult it was.

So if I buy some Focus ST Recaros, the Fiesta airbags will connect with nothing else needed? No adapters? That's the only thing holding me back from buying a set of seats.

So if I buy some Focus ST Recaros, the Fiesta airbags will connect with nothing else needed? No adapters? That's the only thing holding me back from buying a set of seats.
If you swap your Fiesta airbags into the Focus ST Recaros, then yes it will work. The stock Focus ST airbags have a different connector. The swap is "simply" pulling up the seat cover most of the way which can be a bit of a pain, removing two nuts, yanking out the Focus ST airbag, placing the Fiesta ST airbag in and rolling the seat cover back down. I had to pinch a small piece of foam (less than an inch squared) to fit the Fiesta Aigbag

If you swap your Fiesta airbags into the Focus ST Recaros, then yes it will work. The stock Focus ST airbags have a different connector. The swap is "simply" pulling up the seat cover most of the way which can be a bit of a pain, removing two nuts, yanking out the Focus ST airbag, placing the Fiesta ST airbag in and rolling the seat cover back down. I had to pinch a small piece of foam (less than an inch squared) to fit the Fiesta Aigbag
Great, thank you! Time to find some Focus seats now... they're so much nicer looking than the FiST Recaros IMO.

Just won a set of ST3 recaros on eBay for 350 bucks! Yaay me, now to get them and start the swap. Will do the airbag swap and wire up the heaters. I think I might order a set of buttons and wiring for the stock Fiesta heated seats and see if can adapt them.

I just picked up a Set of the Fist recaro's on ebay. Does anyone have any instructions on how to remove the the top cushion from the base? I need to remove the top cover for repair. Any help will be really appreciated.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I haven't read through the entire thread after the first few pages, but I have an addendum for those installing ST2 partial leather Recaros in your FiST (the full leather ST3s might be somewhat different)

The step where you have to drill out the rivets for the plastic thigh bolster support, you can actually do something different and have a MUCH easier time separating the support from the cushion. If you flip the seat base over, you can see the bottoms of the rivets, take some wire cutters and shear the ends off. This will release the plastic from the seat base and you can then separate the cushion from the plastic without the seat base in the way. (I should have taken pictures but I was just trying to get the seat installed)

Additionally the lower seat plastic pieces; I used all of the plastics from the Focus seat. Everything went right on to the Fiesta base with no issues.

I may finally have a line on a set of the ST3's. My question becomes, can you fit a pair of these in the back of the FiST with the seats down?

While I did not find out if they fit in the back of the FiST, I do know that they will fit comfortably in the back of a toyota camry. I spent the weekend installing them and I thought I would share my experience.

Since I had acquired the ST3's with the powered drivers base and I didnt want to be stuck with whatever position that the drivers back was in, I decided to skin the seat backs as well and swap the foam to the fiesta back. This wasn't terribly difficult but it did end up being rather time consuming, especially on the first seat. You have to be really careful with the Velcro in seat back to not separate it from the foam. On the first seat I completely skinned the back and removed the foam. On the second seat I only peel the seat back up far enough to remove the airbag, and then pulled the frame out. This saved a ton of time dealing with the Velcro in detail lines in the back. The key to that second seats tactic was learning what I had to do to release the headrest guides, which was use a smaller screwdriver to release a clip on the left side (if looking from the front) near the seat frame to pull them up and out.

I also had to do the same thing to the fiesta seat backs, which was the more annoying of the two. They use hog rings in the back of the fiesta seat, as well as some fabric strap around the airbag that is connected with what seems to be two plastic hook bars with plastic rivets on each end.....I dont know. It was really obnoxious.

On the drivers side I also kept the fiestas lumbar adjuster, which is just a wire the tightens to bring the seat back forward. That only involved cutting out a bit of the foam over the mount, and a hole in the leather to mount the arm.

The seat bottoms were really easy to do, as long as you snip/cut/drill those weird looking rivets out. The seat bottom foam has some loop attachment to the plastic bolster supports that make it pretty much impossible to remove from the support without damage otherwise. With the rivets removed it is trivial to release those loops to free the bolster support. Then you just bolt that to the fiesta frame.

I also made sure to keep all the heated seat bits, not that I saw any real way to remove the heating elements from the seats. I removed the two plugs from from the plug box thing on each of the focus seats along with what I assume is the control that lets the focus have multiple heating settings. I will figure out the wiring some other time.

I also decided that while I was already sweating and cursing with all these seats apart, I might as well put the foam and covers from the fiesta back onto the focus frames. So I did. I had to cut out the foam on the side to fit the shape and size of the focus airbag, and I replaced the hog rings with heavy duty zip ties but since the frames are identical it all went back together like it was from the factory. So I ended up with a set of cloth fiesta st seats on focus frame rails.

A7xogg

Man, Just stumbled on this thread. Well that website is gold. Im gonna keep a lookout for any full black recaros that come up close to my area. Currently all the all black are on the other side of the country

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Man, Just stumbled on this thread. Well that website is gold. Im gonna keep a lookout for any full black recaros that come up close to my area. Currently all the all black are on the other side of the country
Road Trip?

Ford Community Posts