Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

15x8 and 225/50's

In regards to weight, also
Keep in mind the weight of he tire. The fatter and taller the tire the more weight. Something a lot of people ignore. Some people go with a wheel that's 2lbs lighter but then he tires they use are 1-2lbs heavier, so actually not gaining much of anything. Not saying this is your situation, just something I've noticed people don't consider:
I'm at 32.5 lbs per. With a 225/50 I'd which is the extreme I'd be at 34.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The R4 is the full race compound. My front rotors lasted about 5k miles on the street. Replacements are really cheap though.
OK, gotcha.

I just thought that Porterfield made some full race compounds above the R4, why I implied they were an 'entry level' (but well above a street/autocross friction level) full race compound pad. ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For some of us that that negative is really a positive, at least for me it's trying to make the car as versatile as possible. Tiny wheels means less rotational weight, better ride, protection. And that gravel rally ride height is needed on the backroads. Also couldn't find wheels as cheap as I did in 16 vs the current 15 which were something like 320 for a complete set, brand new.
Yes, that's why I labelled it an aesthetic ONLY negative, (and even then only for some) but, the 15s are NOT giving you any more actual ground clearance, just some more room/travel in the wheel wells to possibly avoid scraping the tires with the correct offsets/tire width. :)

Yes, that's why I labelled it an aesthetic ONLY negative, (and even then only for some) but, the 15s are NOT giving you any more actual ground clearance, just some more room/travel in the wheel wells to possibly avoid scraping the tires with the correct offsets/tire width. :)
Ahh sorry misunderstood that piece.

Yeah I agree 15s by themselves don't do anything to increase ride height, tires though, upping from something like a 205/45 to 205/50 to 205/55 is about an inch difference of course, that's what I was getting at. Sorry for any miscommunication.

OP
E
Thread Starter #25
Here's a short video I shot a few days ago on my road trip. You can get a sense of the noise level (loud) and grip from the tires. You'll also hear them rub at least once, even on this smooth road.

[video=youtube;vIax565ZZBs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIax565ZZBs[/video]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
NICE!!

I HATE that there is no way to get that setup to work without rubbing/scraping! [mad]

That thing sounds GREAT wound out a bit. [thumb]
Which exhaust system do you have on it again?

That was a pretty decent pace for public roads, you are MUCH more confident than I could ever be that there would be no LEOs lurking/hidden around the next bend somewhere just waiting for an 'enthusiast' to come screaming by. [;)]

These little cars impress me more and more every time I see a vid like this one, and even more so that they do it with; FWD, a beam rear axle, and 1.6 liters (albeit boosted)! [biggrin]

OP
E
Thread Starter #27
NICE!!

I HATE that there is no way to get that setup to work without rubbing/scraping! [mad]

That thing sounds GREAT wound out a bit. [thumb]
Which exhaust system do you have on it again?

That was a pretty decent pace for public roads, you are MUCH more confident than I could ever be that there would be no LEOs lurking/hidden around the next bend somewhere just waiting for an 'enthusiast' to come screaming by. [;)]

These little cars impress me more and more every time I see a vid like this one, and even more so that they do it with; FWD, a beam rear axle, and 1.6 liters (albeit boosted)! [biggrin]
That's the stock exhaust and sound symposer. That was a state highway with a 60 mph speed limit. In that state, corner speeds are advisory only.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That's the stock exhaust and sound symposer. That was a state highway with a 60 mph speed limit. In that state, corner speeds are advisory only.
WOW! STOCK they sound like that wound out? (I did not get to drive like that on the test drives with a salesman in the car at ALL times. :( LOL )

I have to move to that state!!! [cool] [driving]

Here's a short video I shot a few days ago on my road trip. You can get a sense of the noise level (loud) and grip from the tires. You'll also hear them rub at least once, even on this smooth road.

[video=youtube;vIax565ZZBs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIax565ZZBs[/video]
do you have coilovers? if so, what settings are you at? (clicks from full hard/soft front & rear)

OP
E
Thread Starter #30
do you have coilovers? if so, what settings are you at? (clicks from full hard/soft front & rear)
No coilovers, just stock springs. I have Koni Sports at 1/2 turn from full stiff front and rear and camber bolts at -2.25. I used to back off the front damping to 3/4 turn from full stiff to soften the ride around town but now I just leave it at 1/2 all the time. It's a bit stiff, but really compliant for the street.

Since you resurrected this old thread, let me update it with the fact that these tires fit fine with just a bit of pulling and rolling of the fenders. The main clearance issue is the front fenders right where the fender meets the bumper. It needs to be pulled about 1/2 inch right in that area. The rears only need to be rolled about 3/8 inch. That's with stock springs though - I don't know if that would work if you're lowered.

And here's a link back to an old meaty tire thread before the fender pulling... http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/1691-Meaty-Tires-Thread/page54