Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fitment possible?

AZST

After looking at multiple sets of wheels/tires, I'd be interested in doing some Fifteen52 17x8 Tarmac on 235/40-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE11. Would this type of setup be possible without fitment issues? What about with spacers?

OP
AZST

AZST

Thread Starter #2
Nobody running a setup with 235s? Would the benefit even be worthwhile over 215s?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That would look really badass, but I can't see how it would not rub/scrape somewhere without some RAAMaudio style, highly fabricated mods. [dunno]

Sadly, whatever ultimate grip benefits you would gain from the width, would be negated by the great unsprung MASS of that setup. :(
(I was considering something just like that at first, until the people on here 'in the know' convinced me otherwise, and to go 15x8/225s instead.)

IF there were 16x8s made for our cars, in a style I could live with, and be happy with seeing every day, (Pro Race 1.2s/OZ Superturismo LM/Konig Helix/etc.), I would go to those wrapped in a 225/45-16 instead, and give up the slight weight benefit to be able to run a higher tread wear, and more street-like tire than the 100 tread wear, almost slick, gumballs which are the ONLY things available in 225/50-16.

OP
AZST

AZST

Thread Starter #4
That would look really badass, but I can't see how it would not rub/scrape somewhere without some RAAMaudio style, heavily fabricated mods. [dunno]
Is there any info out there regarding at what places in the wheel well where oversized tires rub?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't know, hopefully, someone on here who has tried, or spoken to a tuner/owner, or anyone who HAS tried will come into this thread and give that info.
[MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION], anyone?

OP
AZST

AZST

Thread Starter #6
I hadn't really thought about how that mass level might negate grip benefits. I'd like to at least keep 17" wheels for aesthetic reasons. Perhaps O.Z. Ultraleggera 17x7 on 215/40-17 would be a good compromise. Those wheels are quite light, and its still a little wider than stock for extra grip; with some of the better available tires, I would assume it would be sufficient enough for most purposes.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^That, just with the (yes, heavier) 7.5" wide Supertourismo LMs instead of the Ultraleggeras was one of the other original setups I wanted.

But I would prefer that 215/40 tire on a 7.5" wide wheel (which OZ does not make in the Ultraleggera for our car), even for the street.

Weight aside, the Fifteen52s in 17x8 with one of the 215/40-17s on it would probably fit without any additional work/rubbing, but they would have a little 'stretch' to them, and ride a little more harshly on the street than on a 7.0/7.5 wide wheel.

I LOVE the way the Fifteen52s look, I just wish that they could make them lighter, without costing the $800.00+ per wheel that forged versions would demand. :(

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I run 215/40/17 on 17x7.5" wheels with no rub whatsoever. You can run a 17x8 with a 225/40/17 just gotta watch the offset. Try to stay no lower than a +38 if you want to avoid tire rub.

OP
AZST

AZST

Thread Starter #9
I run 215/40/17 on 17x7.5" wheels with no rub whatsoever. You can run a 17x8 with a 225/40/17 just gotta watch the offset. Try to stay no lower than a +38 if you want to avoid tire rub.
Thanks for the info. The 225s would be nice, but, based on my research, you can't get tires of that width in 40/17, you'd have to do 45/17.

OP
AZST

AZST

Thread Starter #10
^^^That, just with the (yes, heavier) 7.5" wide Supertourismo LMs instead of the Ultraleggeras was one of the other original setups I wanted.

But I would prefer that 215/40 tire on a 7.5" wide wheel (which OZ does not make in the Ultraleggera for our car), even for the street.

Weight aside, the Fifteen52s in 17x8 with one of the 215/40-17s on it would probably fit without any additional work/rubbing, but they would have a little 'stretch' to them, and ride a little more harshly on the street than on a 7.0/7.5 wide wheel.

I LOVE the way the Fifteen52s look, I just wish that they could make them lighter, without costing the $800.00+ per wheel that forged versions would demand. :(
Definitely wish the forged Fifteen52s weren't so expensive, as they are absolutely gorgeous, but I can't justify spending that kind of money on a wheel :/

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thanks for the info. The 225s would be nice, but, based on my research, you can't get tires of that width in 40/17, you'd have to do 45/17.
Yes, sadly, unless you want to run 0 to~40 tread wear, DOT slicks on the street, that size does not exist. :(

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
YES, THANKS for that info, it helps a lot! [thumb] [cool]

I want a 225 width tire on the car, and the low weight of 15s, but I DO love those 17x7.5 OZ Superturismos looks-wise, and have lusted after them for even longer than the Pro Race 1.2s, I just have never had a car that could use either of them before this one (bolt patterns, width, etc.).

Decisions, decisions.