Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 intake owners with P144C issues please chime in

Trader history for OffTheWall503 (0)

Is it necessary to swap out to the original intake while we wait? Does the code mean that there is an actual issue with the intake? Or is it just an error code popping up by "mistake". Hopefully this makes sense.
Oops, I forgot it's a lot more work for you intake folks versus those of us who just bought the induction hose.

The error code had no ill effects on my car, just the annoying CEL. If I had the intake, I'd just live with it and clear the code whenever it shows up.

Is it necessary to swap out to the original intake while we wait? Does the code mean that there is an actual issue with the intake? Or is it just an error code popping up by "mistake". Hopefully this makes sense.
I know, and I appreciate it. I don't mean to sound grumpy. I just finished up "trying" to tighten everything up again, and think I might be on to something. I think their source of hose clamps is a little hit and miss. Of the three clamps they supplied, one was still tight, one had come very loose, and one started missing slots with far less pressure than the other two. Going to replace the two dodgy ones tomorrow and see if things change.
I feel silly quoting myself, but thought I should give an update. After replacing the supplied hose clamps with much wider, normal hardware store stainless hose clamps, I've driven twice as many miles as it took to pop the code last time, and no more codes! I didn't even go crazy on tightening them, just the normal sort of snug on a hose clamp. I think the wider clamps help more of the silicone hose surface area seal around the tubes.

As a precaution, I did do a few laps with electrical tape around the induction hose first to make sure there's no worries about the hose clamps digging into the soft silicone.

[MENTION=5122]OCS12[/MENTION] what size hose clamps did you use exactly?
They were both 3 1/2" clamps. One's a bit long, but I'm not going to bother trimming it until I know if this really fixed anything. I'll update whether I'm still code free tomorrow. Then I've got the time and mileage test done. (I'm not sure which the car uses to throw the code)

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Installed my intake hose a week ago. Hand tightened clamps with a nut driver not ratchet and did not really crank on them. I have a Diamond OCC and Mountune MP215 and have seen no codes YET!

Bluedrank

We knew this was going to happen before they shipped because the first 2016 full intake owners started throwing them before these induction tubes shipped out.

What's even funnier, my girlfriend looked at my upgrades spreadsheet and pre-ordered this thing as a surprise birthday present for me. So I'll be in the same boat as you guys come September 10th, lol. Hopefully this all gets figured out by then. I would imagine no amount of tightening is going to fix the flaw, it's probably some issue with the adapter design.

We knew this was going to happen before they shipped because the first 2016 full intake owners started throwing them before these induction tubes shipped out.

What's even funnier, my girlfriend looked at my upgrades spreadsheet and pre-ordered this thing as a surprise birthday present for me. So I'll be in the same boat as you guys come September 10th, lol. Hopefully this all gets figured out by then. I would imagine no amount of tightening is going to fix the flaw, it's probably some issue with the adapter design.
So you're doing the Mishi P144C mod as well? Rumor has it, the check engine light adds five horsepower!

Bluedrank

So you're doing the Mishi P144C mod as well? Rumor has it, the check engine light adds five horsepower!
Haha I will be once she gives it to me on my birthday. I had actually pre-ordered it really early on, like the day it became available. But I cancelled the pre-order because of the delays and the full intake throwing the code, I knew the induction tube would be the same story. But I kept it on my upgrades spreadsheet that I had shared with my girlfriend in case she needed gift ideas. So sure enough she saw it was on sale because of the pre-order and bought the same thing too for my birthday.

She only spoiled the surprise because we were talking about my car and I mentioned it and she realized she had already purchased the same part that I was saying is giving you guys all these headaches. Lol.

So these will be my headaches when my birthday arrives. I'm just hoping [MENTION=1848]mishimoto[/MENTION] gets it figured out soon.

Bluedrank

Haha I will be once she gives it to me on my birthday. I had actually pre-ordered it really early on, like the day it became available. But I cancelled the pre-order because of the delays and the full intake throwing the code, I knew the induction tube would be the same story. But I kept it on my upgrades spreadsheet that I had shared with my girlfriend in case she needed gift ideas. So sure enough she saw it was on sale because of the pre-order and bought the same thing too for my birthday.

She only spoiled the surprise because we were talking about my car and I mentioned it and she realized she had already purchased the same part that I was saying is giving you guys all these headaches. Lol.

So these will be my headaches when my birthday arrives. I'm just hoping [MENTION=1848]mishimoto[/MENTION] gets it figured out soon. It's honestly a really beautiful part, and I'll be very happy to have it on my car assuming it works without throwing a code.

Hey guys,

We are actively working on a viable solution for everyone who may be throwing the code as we are taking this issue seriously. The evap system is pretty sensitive so tightening all of the clamps are important, but our engineers are closing in on a workable solution beyond that. As soon as we have a more definitive answer, you guys will know for sure.
Waiting to install "after" the solution is made available.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #52
I think many of you are blowing this out of proportion. Use Mishimotos suggestions about double checking how tight or loose the clamps are. I've been CEL free for weeks now.

I think many of you are blowing this out of proportion. Use Mishimotos suggestions about double checking how tight or loose the clamps are. I've been CEL free for weeks now.
I seriously doubt that this is just an issue of many of us blowing this out of proportion for three reasons.

-Mishimoto has already come forward and said it's an issue, and that they are working on it.
-What are the odds of finding this many people in a community of car enthuiasts that do not possess the extensive knowledge and experience required to operate a hose clamp?
-When I removed the Mishimoto hose and put my factory one back in, the code went away.

You just happened to get lucky and get one that plays nice! It's not like any of us are freaking out over this. We're just tossing around different ideas we've tried to see if we can find a solution.

Bluedrank

I seriously doubt that this is just an issue of many of us blowing this out of proportion for three reasons.

-Mishimoto has already come forward and said it's an issue, and that they are working on it.
-What are the odds of finding this many people in a community of car enthuiasts that do not possess the extensive knowledge and experience required to operate a hose clamp?
-When I removed the Mishimoto hose and put my factory one back in, the code went away.

You just happened to get lucky and get one that plays nice! It's not like any of us are freaking out over this. We're just tossing around different ideas we've tried to see if we can find a solution.
Yep. If the whole issue was clamps not being tight enough, I'd be worried about the overall design tbh. I'm certain most of you are not idiots and are at least hand tightening those clamps to a good torque.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #56
I'm not questioning anyones abilities, I'm simply stating that I tried their recommendation of removing and re-installing the intake, then checking torque after a few heat cycles.

I'm not denying there's a problem, but if you haven't gone through the procedure they recommended to resolve the problem, then that's on you. If you HAVE done so and the problem is still there, then the responsibility is on them.

If you have a catch can, I've also found that I was having these code issues before on a stock intake and loose clamps on my Mishimoto OCC were the culprit.

I'm not questioning anyones abilities, I'm simply stating that I tried their recommendation of removing and re-installing the intake, then checking torque after a few heat cycles.

I'm not denying there's a problem, but if you haven't gone through the procedure they recommended to resolve the problem, then that's on you. If you HAVE done so and the problem is still there, then the responsibility is on them.

If you have a catch can, I've also found that I was having these code issues before on a stock intake and loose clamps on my Mishimoto OCC were the culprit.
I did try their recommendation. No luck. Tried going even tighter. No luck. Tried different clamps. No luck.

I won't have a catch can for a few more weeks, so no issue there. Besides, the code goes away when swapped back to stock, and is present with both the intake and induction hose owners, so it's localized to the adapter.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #58
Maybe there was a batch of bad adapters, no issues for me as of now after following their recommendations (knock on wood).

Maybe there was a batch of bad adapters, no issues for me as of now after following their recommendations (knock on wood).
That would be my guess. It's quite common with a new product to have to refine tolerances early on. I know it's happened plenty of times where I work.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The only "active" device in this adapter is the one way check valve. Basic operation can be checked like the old "PCV" valves........if you can blow air thru but not suck air it works or can't blow and can suck. What that may not tell us is if it is occasionally failing. They should be asking for people throwing codes to send their adapters back for testing. I suspect it is a quality issue on the valve. My install is doing fine and I only hand tightened the clamps with a nut driver and old arthritic hands!