Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 intake owners with P144C issues please chime in

Trader history for OffTheWall503 (0)

Bluedrank

The only "active" device in this adapter is the one way check valve. Basic operation can be checked like the old "PCV" valves........if you can blow air thru but not suck air it works or can't blow and can suck. What that may not tell us is if it is occasionally failing. They should be asking for people throwing codes to send their adapters back for testing. I suspect it is a quality issue on the valve. My install is doing fine and I only hand tightened the clamps with a nut driver and old arthritic hands!
Good point. You're probably right. If not everyone is experiencing it, bad check valves could be the cause.

Well, this time around I have something promising to say. Something bugged me when I was swapping back to stock, so I tried one more experiment.

I had noticed a LOT more play in the smaller fitting on the Mishimoto adapter than the OEM. So this afternoon I put the Mishi hose back in. I ran it with the smaller line disconnected to pop the code again as "pending" (CEL won't show up yet)

Then I added a single layer of electrical tape around the smaller male fitting on the adapter and plugged it back in. It squished a bit, but locked into place.

Went for a drive, and........ Pending code went away!! Is this the air leak?!?

Just thought I'd update, 4 days and 500+ miles later, not so much as a pending code. I'm tempted to try an O-ring instead, to make it less of a ghetto fix, but just don't want to touch it while it's fine.

Anyone throwing a code, rub some very soapy water on those fittings. You'll find your air leak.

mishimoto1

Hey [MENTION=5122]OCS12[/MENTION], thanks for sharinhg that, very helpful! We will also look into whether that fitting is actually sized properly.

Hey [MENTION=5122]OCS12[/MENTION], thanks for sharinhg that, very helpful! We will also look into whether that fitting is actually sized properly.
Happy to help! One of your customer service reps has a much more in depth explanation of how I hit on that. (Very nice guy, by the way). I know you guys have some very good engineers, but I didn't see any harm in seeking help from our skunkworks guys (our race motor division). They had a hilarious idea involving a hair dryer, duct tape, and a FLIR, but it instantly showed an air leak. I wanted to leave work out of the post earlier, but might as well give credit where credit's due. (Just a hint, they're marine engines and usually painted black)

I've been holding off posting this on here because I don't want to jinx myself...but I installed my Mishimoto intake about one week ago on my 2016 and have yet to see a check engine light and I have put 400 miles on the car since the install.

You could have the code, but it's just a pending code and will not throw a Cel until later. Only way to know that is to run an OBD-II scanner to pick up the code. Here's hoping your is actually a trouble free one.

I've been holding off posting this on here because I don't want to jinx myself...but I installed my Mishimoto intake about one week ago on my 2016 and have yet to see a check engine light and I have put 400 miles on the car since the install.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #68
I have been so confident in my new setup, no new or pending codes. I even removed the evap purge line I had re-installed before.

I checked for codes using my accessport and there was nothing pending! In the clear for now [driving]

OCS12,

You might very well be onto something here. I got a pending code p1441 for my FiST a few days after installing the Mishimoto Induction Tube. I checked all my fittings and they were all tight and torqued down as much as possible. Noticed the adapter connection was a bit looser than the OEM like you mentioned. Put electrical tape like you did on the end and slid it back into the connector. Much more snug now, and no pending code thus far! I also have the Mishimoto OCC and CFM Valve Cover Breather. No codes or pending codes yet! Great observation [thumb]

Well, this time around I have something promising to say. Something bugged me when I was swapping back to stock, so I tried one more experiment.

I had noticed a LOT more play in the smaller fitting on the Mishimoto adapter than the OEM. So this afternoon I put the Mishi hose back in. I ran it with the smaller line disconnected to pop the code again as "pending" (CEL won't show up yet)

Then I added a single layer of electrical tape around the smaller male fitting on the adapter and plugged it back in. It squished a bit, but locked into place.

Went for a drive, and........ Pending code went away!! Is this the air leak?!?

OCS12,

You might very well be onto something here. I got a pending code p1441 for my FiST a few days after installing the Mishimoto Induction Tube. I checked all my fittings and they were all tight and torqued down as much as possible. Noticed the adapter connection was a bit looser than the OEM like you mentioned. Put electrical tape like you did on the end and slid it back into the connector. Much more snug now, and no pending code thus far! I also have the Mishimoto OCC and CFM Crankcase Breather. No codes or pending codes yet! Great observation [thumb]
Happy to be of service! I've been talking to Mishimoto directly about this (they're pretty awesome on the customer service side), and their engineering folks are aware this ghetto fix is fixing the code issue. I'll happily let them know it worked again! I rack up a lot of miles with my daily commute, and still code free!!

Anyone with the code, give this a shot and report back. The more info we can give Mishimoto, the faster everything will be solved. We all win! Besides, it's a harmless experiment that costs about half a cent to try.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I still have a problem with Mishimoto's attitude towards their customers.

Quote "We actually just finished test fitting the piece on a 2016 Fiesta ST and everything fit great. We ran the car for a bit to be sure no codes would be immediately thrown."

Real QC testing....."we ran the car for a bit"!

Now a month after shipping their "highly" tested device and being notified by many it is causing codes, Mishimoto is still shipping and have no solution. This is plain stupid. The hose can be assumed to be OK as it is the same as they have been selling for years. That leaves the adaptor for the 2016 as the culprit. Just how hard is it to measure one device that is causing codes and find the defective part? We are talking three fittings and a check valve here. Why have they simply not asked for people to send their defective devices back to find the cause? This is beyond crazy.....this is a company that cares only about sales and zip about their reputation. If Ford approached our cars with the same disregard this Forum would be going crazy demanding they do better, but I guess since Mishimoto is a sponsor they get a pass on the Forum. Not from me......I will not do business with a company so inept they cannot in a month's time determine which of the 4 parts is causing the problem. Can you imagine paying a tech to fix this and in 4 weeks has no clue which of the 4 parts is defective? I trained technicians for some of the largest companies in the world and if any of them took longer than a week to resolve this they would not have a job. A REAL company would not put up with this! Neither will I, this will be my last purchase from these charlatans and I encourage others to take a stand.....I have seen several comments that Mishimoto has a history of this. Had I done enough research I would have waited to order. Had there been a folder on vendors to look at would have made that much easier.

I would suggest to this forum to set up permanent folders for members to leave ratings on vendors so that we as members have an easy source for researching their reputation. One of the quickest ways to force a company to improve is to bring to light any issues that need to be resolved, This is what makes Consumer Reports and car mags that actually test a car important, unbiased comments. Too many threads turn into members dumping on products that they do not like. Why not have a folder where that person can express why? We the members can judge for ourselves if that is an issue with us and the vendor will have a place to look at both complaints and raves and respond to issues.

Mishimoto should tell people when they advertise pre-sales that the part has not been designed, built or tested yet, but then who would pre-order? When I asked Mountune about one of their intake hoses for a 2016 I received an honest reply...."We are working on one and when it is ready and tested we will release it."

A7xogg

SO its not a p144c code but, ive been throwing a p04db code which is a crankcase ventilation disconnected code, only pops if im realling hammering it in the top of the rpm range.

@ Mishimoto any updates on a permanent fix?
I'm not sure if I'm really suppose to say anything, but from direct communication with them, they have the issue sorted and will reach out to everyone as soon as the fix is ready. Their customer service has been pretty straight forward and great to deal with.

And just to brag a little, I was right! [biggrin]

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I am glad to hear something but as usual it is not from Mishimoto.

OCS12, thanks for solving what their "Engineers" could not figure out. I am glad at least one person is impressed with their so called "Customer Service". I am sure most of us would trade the t-shirt for a product that works and a Customer Service department that remembers they have customers. 2 fittings and 1 check valve and they never did any type of QC checks or testing prior to shipping and we still wait for the "fix". Sad. So it appears to be an undersize fitting. Or more correctly a cheap, low quality fitting that was not inspected or tested, just shipped with the hopes it was correct and would work. 5 minutes for them to update the Forums as to when they will be shipping the "fix" would maybe start to repair their reputation.....if they care.

I am glad to hear something but as usual it is not from Mishimoto.

OCS12, thanks for solving what their "Engineers" could not figure out. I am glad at least one person is impressed with their so called "Customer Service". I am sure most of us would trade the t-shirt for a product that works and a Customer Service department that remembers they have customers. 2 fittings and 1 check valve and they never did any type of QC checks or testing prior to shipping and we still wait for the "fix". Sad. So it appears to be an undersize fitting. Or more correctly a cheap, low quality fitting that was not inspected or tested, just shipped with the hopes it was correct and would work. 5 minutes for them to update the Forums as to when they will be shipping the "fix" would maybe start to repair their reputation.....if they care.
Just to be clear, no one's saying my engineers out engineered their engineers. I have no idea if they hit on the problem before or after I did, just that we hit on the same source. I'm not sure if you contacted Mishimoto directly, but they have been absurdly good about staying in communication. They even relayed my patch onto those with issues as an interim fix.

I'm an engineer at a company that builds hundreds of engines a day. We have issues too. You can test prototypes to your heart's content, but real world use exposes issues. Sometimes crap happens.

I don't judge a company for the occasional oops, I judge them by how they handle the oops. And FWIW, I just bought an intercooler and charge pipes from them today, so I guess I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is on my opinion of how things have been handled.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Exactly my point....I am glad you have a relationship with them....unfortunately the rest of us don't. They have my email address.......crickets........they have requests for information on this forum........crickets!