Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune RMM Squeak/creak/clicking fix

So I have had my Mountune RMM installed for probably 10,000 miles. At first it only clicked, squeaked or creaked once in a while, then it started doing it with every clutch push, every throttle application and was driving me nuts. I followed the installation procedure to the letter, and even though I knew better from previous Urethane mounts on other cars, I believed their website that said "Does not add any NVH."

So when I was under there for an oil change last weekend, I uninstalled the mount and took a look. (Sorry I don't have any pics) But based on the wear marks in the urethane, the washers on the "Big end" were digging into the urethane causing resistance to movement and most likely the noise. So I lubed the crap out of it. I used synthetic multi purpose grease anywhere urethane touched metal. Where metal touched metal, I used anti-sieze. I lubed everything involved with, or related to the mount.

I am happy to say that it was a success. No noise, no vibration, nice and smooth and quiet.

TUX15ST

Interesting, good that you fixed it but definitely not something that should have had to be done on a part from such a big name supplier, they need to fix the issues somehow

OP
romancommander
Thread Starter #3
Interesting, good that you fixed it but definitely not something that should have had to be done on a part from such a big name supplier, they need to fix the issues somehow
I agree, and most MFG's will ship you Urethane lube in your installation kit. Any bushings you buy from Energy Suspension or Prothane come that way, for any car. I was especially annoyed because I am a bit of a Cobb fanboi coming from the Subi world, and I bought the Mountune over the Cobb RMM against my gut instinct to "try something new". I regret it.

Interesting... I think I'm having the same issue. I have a service appointment tomorrow because I thought I had transmission problems.

If you don't mind weighing in on if you think I'm having the same problem, I'd appreciate it. I'd say the issue is definitely worse when it's cold. The "creak" sound is the best way to describe it. There's definitely no "grind". It kinda sounds like stress on metal or bending metal or something. I hear it mostly starting in first gear right when the clutch is almost out. I also hear it when I lean on the gas when there's a lot of torque (1st or 2nd gear). And sometimes when letting the clutch out in 2nd.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I agree, and most MFG's will ship you Urethane lube in your installation kit. Any bushings you buy from Energy Suspension or Prothane come that way, for any car.
This is what I would have used on it, and what I plan to use on my CP-E RMM IF it displays these same symptoms.

I keep a supply of this stuff on hand (as well as the non-reactive/non-corrosive to polyurethane Super Lube grease) just for this purpose, having had polyurethane sway bar bushings on most of my previous rides. [wink]

TUX15ST

If you dont have access to poly grease, the next best thing is the red mobil grease or green grease but clear poly grease is certainly best for poly bushings

OP
romancommander
Thread Starter #8
Interesting... I think I'm having the same issue. I have a service appointment tomorrow because I thought I had transmission problems.

If you don't mind weighing in on if you think I'm having the same problem, I'd appreciate it. I'd say the issue is definitely worse when it's cold. The "creak" sound is the best way to describe it. There's definitely no "grind". It kinda sounds like stress on metal or bending metal or something. I hear it mostly starting in first gear right when the clutch is almost out. I also hear it when I lean on the gas when there's a lot of torque (1st or 2nd gear). And sometimes when letting the clutch out in 2nd.
That's where mine was worse. It sounds like a creak or metallic noise. FYI this only happens with the upgraded RMM. IF you have the stock RMM its not the issue.

I have one and have never had an issue. I will note the wear and keep my eye on it. Thanks for the post!

Yeah, I have the mountune RMM and it seems to be developing the same issue. I will buy some poly lube and see if that improves it.

So in the time since posting, I have had the issue occur. I can confirm that using some poly-lube does work very well. This is also the recommended fix from Mountune themselves after emailing them a link to this thread.

Thanks for the info everyone! I've had this issue since it's been installed.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

ethan-8

This sounds A LOT like the problem I'm currently having it would be interesting to know if it was in fact the RMM that was the issue or something else? I've only just recently purchased my car and the previous owner had a lot of mountune work done to it but I'm not sure if he had a mountune RMM. Any help would be appreciated[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I have the cobb, same squeaking issue - I mixed graphite and silicone grease and lubed 'er up and it's been quiet since.

For what its worth, this stuff is great to have in the garage https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-08798-9013-Silicone-Grease/dp/B00GD49GTS
You can use it once a year on your window/door seals and they'll never dry out.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Well i have heard of some people with the cobb rmm having similar issues but def more mountune ones
Not that it's super helpful, but I tossed some silicone grease on my Cobb during install and I've heard nary a peep from it. It did make the DMF noises louder which drives me slightly bonkers in traffic.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I got the mountune last year and it came with 2 packets of grease. I used it ALL. No problems so far.