Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission fluid change

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I have not read every page of this thread but now that my car is back I had a random thought.

So new (used trans with 11k) trans is in along with a new flywheel, clutch kit, slave cylinder along with new clutch/brake fluid (Motul 600).......car drives so good.

Reason I bring this up with the change it included new trans fluid and being that I had the work done at Ford, they put OEM fluid. And omg boys, it shifts like butter. Notice most times we rave of a fluid its after we got the OEM stuff out from the manufacturer. So it's the original stuff that the trans was broken in with, then once we get all the metal shavings out from break in....bam! We love the new fluid.

Maybe down the line I'll try changing the fluid again and seeing how it feels. As of now I'm just getting the miles in on the new clutch

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I have not read every page of this thread but now that my car is back I had a random thought.

So new (used trans with 11k) trans is in along with a new flywheel, clutch kit, slave cylinder along with new clutch/brake fluid (Motul 600).......car drives so good.

Reason I bring this up with the change it included new trans fluid and being that I had the work done at Ford, they put OEM fluid. And omg boys, it shifts like butter. Notice most times we rave of a fluid its after we got the OEM stuff out from the manufacturer. So it's the original stuff that the trans was broken in with, then once we get all the metal shavings out from break in....bam! We love the new fluid.

Maybe down the line I'll try changing the fluid again and seeing how it feels. As of now I'm just getting the miles in on the new clutch
Watch it! That is like admitting Ford did something right. Heresy! Idiocracy! You will be noted for this outrageous act of treasonous insurrection. 451 posts and not once did you leave a clue of this unseemly behavior. Therefore Sir, If this continues I will commission a curse on your turbo bearings from the Witch Queen of New Orleans, my ex wife.

danbfree

3000 Post Club

Have to agree that indeed that likely a significant part of the improved feel is likely simply getting the original "break in" fluid out, but that said personally I felt more comfortable going with a specific oil for manual transmission. Also, it's a bit cheaper than the Ford fluid as well, so why not? But thanks for bringing up a good point, these trans need some break in time it appears and it helps to get that nasty fluid with shavings out after a maybe a 10k initial break-in period.

Business6

Ordered the BG fluid from Whoosh. Not happy with the Motul 300 so I'll swap out to this and give it a try for a while. I'm certain it's more about the condition of the transmission than the fluid itself but if a fluid can improve the feel a bit before committing to a trans rebuild that would be great.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Yeah guys just starting a narrative

In 20k I'll do Ford junk again and se how it feels. I drive a ton so itll be quicker then most

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Ordered the BG fluid from Whoosh. Not happy with the Motul 300 so I'll swap out to this and give it a try for a while. I'm certain it's more about the condition of the transmission than the fluid itself but if a fluid can improve the feel a bit before committing to a trans rebuild that would be great.
Let us know how you like it. I'm intrigued with that new offering from Whoosh vs. the Ravenol.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club

Can you confirm how much Ford put into the newly installed trans? The correct fluid amount debate (1.67L vs. 2L) lives on.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
FYI, I emailed ravenol on their wording, "Practice and tested in aggregates with filling", when it comes to meeting Ford's spec.
I am a bit uncomfortable that they don't specifically state that it "meets or exceeds" the spec. Say what you will, but I'm a stickler for wording (I work in govt compliance, lol).

I am still contemplating getting the castrol syntrans fe 75w from the uk via ebay. Total cost to my door would be roughly $62-ish. Also thinking about the Motul dctf, even though it's a syn blend (just like the Ford stuff is).

Edit: Forgot to mention that Ravenol has not responded as of yet.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Can you confirm how much Ford put into the newly installed trans? The correct fluid amount debate (1.67L vs. 2L) lives on.
Its 2L the debate has been settled. They filled the with 2L to help with bearing failure they were encountering. I had a brand new Trans installed at ford under warranty....drained it....out came 2L. As I remember a Tech told me there was a TSB on this particular matter also.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Its 2L the debate has been settled. They filled the with 2L to help with bearing failure they were encountering. I had a brand new Trans installed at ford under warranty....drained it....out came 2L. As I remember a Tech told me there was a TSB on this particular matter also.

Yes, I am very familiar with your posts, but want to get other experiences to compare. What one dealer does (or does not do) can (and usually does) differ.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yes, I am very familiar with your posts, but want to get other experiences to compare. What one dealer does (or does not do) can (and usually does) differ.
Its says right here..
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-mtf-2-sae-75w-80.html

..meets ford spec dawg... I run it....its the most noticeable fluid change I've done. I too also work for Da Govt... a bunch a slack jawed Yokels I tell ya coming from the private sector.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Its says right here..
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-mtf-2-sae-75w-80.html

..meets ford spec dawg... I run it....its the most noticeable fluid change I've done. I too also work for Da Govt... a bunch a slack jawed Yokels I tell ya coming from the private sector....
Not quite (see pic below).

Specifications are: "API-GL4, MT-1".

"Practice tested in aggregates with filling" for the manufacturer specs. I'm not saying it isn't, just want them to clarify, as it seems vague in my opinion.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
For reference, this is Castrol's info on their stuff.... Do you see a difference in the wording? ;)

jeff

2000 Post Club
I wouldn't mess with Typhoon, he'll give you a war you won't believe.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I wouldn't mess with Typhoon, he'll give you a war you won't believe.
War? Ha, no. I have no issues with him or anyone else. He has contributed immensely to this forum, and that is wholeheartedly appreciated. I have benefited personally from it. But that's not to say that there can't be a difference of opinion. And I'm not saying I disagree with him persay. Having a healthy (respectful) dialogue is good I think.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
For reference, this is Castrol's info on their stuff.... Do you see a difference in the wording? ;)
Your thinking way to hard into this....I will put money that both fluids are identical...I've spoken with Valvoline about fluids and why some specs are not word for word....As I was told..." If we had to put every single spec that our fluid meets on every bottle it wouldn't have enough room for our label and be more of an advertisement for the manufacturers. Use what ever you want.....good luck out there bud!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
War? What are you talking about? I have no issues with him or anyone else. He has contributed immensely to this forum, and that is wholeheartedly appreciated. I have benefited personally from it. But that's not to say that there can't be a difference of opinion. And I'm not saying I disagree with him persay. Having a healthy (respectful) dialogue is good I think.
He just joking dawg....any info is better than no info!

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Your thinking way to hard into this....I will put money that both fluids are identical...I've spoken with Valvoline about fluids and why some specs are not word for word....As I was told..." If we had to put every single spec that our fluid meets on every bottle it wouldn't have enough room for our label and be more of an advertisement for the manufacturers. Use what ever you want.....good luck out there bud
Yes, I do overthink things. It makes me mental. It does however come in handy for the work that I do.

I will probably order some of the Castrol from the uk, depending on what I hear back (or don't) from Ravenol. Piece of mind.
I figure if I get 4 bottles, I can save a little on the bulk shipping. It would be good to have extra just in case I spring a leak or need to replace an axle, etc.