Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission fluid change

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hold on let me journey to ford in Hope's the Tech is still there and have him go into Fomoco's dealer connect program print it out and then it'll be posted here based on heresay by a Tech when I asked him after they replaced my Trans....But hey I'll contact my Engineer buddy who worked for Ford and go from there....sound good man?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Oh, I saw/read those threads. But you mentioned the IB5 as spec'ing 2.1L, which is a different trans.
I thought danbfree was saying that a different car had the same trans (IB6/B6) as us, but had a different spec amount (the aforementioned 2.1L). I got excited for the new findings.
Ib5/IB6, do you really think having one extra gear mean it takes a HALF liter less? Seriously, the transmission takes 2L, it works better, feels better, sounds better, it just works RIGHT vs fucked up, I'm done discussing this. To top it all off, the one before it with one less gear takes 2.1L, I have NO idea why people are going on and on and on about proof of this or that when EVERYONE other than the manual itself is saying this. I simply don't care any more... Now you and I agree that the 2L is what works best in this, not sure why you are entertaining the rhetorical nonsense that comes from all the pointless questions, I'm moving on from this thread, I don't care about proof, it's just pointless to worry about it anymore when it's universally known what actually works best, I literally ca not possibly care any less about proof of anything when the questions are coming from someone who even said what he drained came nowhere near to the 1" from the top that is said to put in, that's all the proof on top of fantastic results that's needed, no reason entertain his OCD madness any longer.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You even posted yourself back in April in your first link that 1.67L came out and was not even close to the 1" from the top that is called for, that's enough proof right there, end of story, no one needs to hear your whining and begging for proof despite being presented over and over again that it takes 2L for the thing to work right. Please, for the love of God just let it go and stop asking us about this, there are far more important and interesting things to discuss with our cars unless you're some lawyer digging for more proof to try to sue Ford or something? But please, don't ask me about this topic any more, I've said all I have to say on it and if you don't like it as enough proof, just do what you want but enough of the borderline harassment about "proof" when there has been all kinds of real world results of what has been drained is not enough and much better performance when 2L is put in, end of story.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Ib5/IB6, do you really think having one extra gear mean it takes a HALF liter less? Seriously, the transmission takes 2L, it works better, feels better, sounds better, it just works RIGHT vs fucked up, I'm done discussing this. To top it all off, the one before it with one less gear takes 2.1L, I have NO idea why people are going on and on and on about proof of this or that when EVERYONE other than the manual itself is saying this. I simply don't care any more... Now you and I agree that the 2L is what works best in this, not sure why you are entertaining the rhetorical nonsense that comes from all the pointless questions, I'm moving on from this thread, I don't care about proof, it's just pointless to worry about it anymore when it's universally known what actually works best, I literally ca not possibly care any less about proof of anything when the questions are coming from someone who even said what he drained came nowhere near to the 1" from the top that is said to put in, that's all the proof on top of fantastic results that's needed, no reason entertain his OCD madness any longer.
HAHA, that's EXACTLY what this is, OCD madness!
For the record, I cannot say if one gear more/less makes our trans so different from the base fiesta, as I am not an engineer for ford/getrag. But I will say this: not only does ford say to use less fluid, but specs a different fluid type as well.
Bottom line, the extra fluid is a good thing regardless of what the manual states. My apologies for going down this rabbit hole and taking everone down with me. [emoji850]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
For the record, I cannot say if one gear more/less makes our trans so different from the base fiesta, as I am not an engineer for ford/getrag. But I will say this: not only does ford say to use less fluid, but specs a different fluid type as well.
Bottom line, the extra fluid is a good thing regardless of what the manual states. My apologies for going down this rabbit hole and taking everone down with me. [emoji850]
Its not you man....you are all good! [thumb]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Its not you man....you are all good! [thumb]
Thanks guys for the good discussion, can't let others drive me crazy, LOL!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Hold on let me journey to ford in Hope's the Tech is still there and have him go into Fomoco's dealer connect program print it out and then it'll be posted here based on heresay by a Tech when I asked him after they replaced my Trans....But hey I'll contact my Engineer buddy who worked for Ford and go from there....sound good man?
So no evidence that 'Ford is overfilling the transmission to compensate for a bearing defect'.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
You even posted yourself back in April in your first link that 1.67L came out and was not even close to the 1" from the top that is called for, that's enough proof right there, end of story, no one needs to hear your whining and begging for proof despite being presented over and over again that it takes 2L for the thing to work right. Please, for the love of God just let it go and stop asking us about this, there are far more important and interesting things to discuss with our cars unless you're some lawyer digging for more proof to try to sue Ford or something? But please, don't ask me about this topic any more, I've said all I have to say on it and if you don't like it as enough proof, just do what you want but enough of the borderline harassment about "proof" when there has been all kinds of real world results of what has been drained is not enough and much better performance when 2L is put in, end of story.
Spell it out dude. "Whining and begging" for precisely what? I repeatedly asked for evidence that 'Ford is overfilling transmissions to compensate or account for a bearing defect' and repeatedly get replies that make out like I'm asking for a TSB? So you type out a llloooonnnnnngggg reply *itching about a question that wasn't asked? [unsurelaugh] The tech didn't "overfill" TF's transmission. He simply followed the instructions.

Ask a question before you jump into a conversation that you obviously know d**k sh*t about...

Last edited:

Quisp

1000 Post Club
this has been entertaining. kinda wish there was this much interest in the windshield washer fluid Ford uses in our cars vs. aftermarket washer fluids available and how much. [giggle]
Save that one for the Facebook group's.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
this has been entertaining. kinda wish there was this much interest in the windshield washer fluid Ford uses in our cars vs. aftermarket washer fluids available and how much. [giggle]
I wish I could find out what fluid was in VW's factory fill - smells kinda like acetone and works great. Have never found a washer fluid that worked that well and the stuff they *refill* with is different.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I wish I could find out what fluid was in VW's factory fill - smells kinda like acetone and works great. Have never found a washer fluid that worked that well and the stuff they *refill* with is different.
I use 303 Products windshield washer tablets to save space and help our environment from the plastic bottles that they typically come in. But it amazes me that in the last ~10 yrs. or so the number of windshield washer types/brands have grown in occupying shelf space and I really haven't bothered to investigate on the benefits or lack thereof for each LOL.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Whatever you use make sure it's not the orange rain x stuff. It apparently messes with the sensor in the rez

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I use advance auto parts washer fluid....its one of the cheaper....I can't pay $5 a bottle for stuff I am literally just dumping out....and its decent with rain repellent.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks to this thread and some of the input here it made short work of changing out my Transmission fluid yesterday.
Using the Ravenol fluid with the built in funnel was the easiest transmission fluid change ever.
It took me longer to jack the car up, take the airbox out and get all my tools than the actual fluid change.
[twothumb]

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thanks to this thread and some of the input here it made short work of changing out my Transmission fluid yesterday.
Using the Ravenol fluid with the built in funnel was the easiest transmission fluid change ever.
It took me longer to jack the car up, take the airbox out and get all my tools than the actual fluid change.
[twothumb]
MTF-2 or MTF-3? I decided to go with 2 liters of the OEM stuff till the weather warms up, seeing as the MTF-2 is a tad more viscous.

Edit: rockauto also now lists the oem stuff as being used in our manual transmissions (as well as the mustang, MT-82 , Focus 6 spd, MMT6 and MTX75). That's the first time I've seen a seller do that in their description. Makes me fell a tad better about using a "dctf", lol.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
MTF-2 is what I used. I don't notice much difference in shifting but at 63k miles it was due anyways.
Thanks for the reply and honest opinion. I added an edit and pic to my previous post.

Btw, how much did you manage drain out (provided you measured it, of course) and how much did you fill it with?

Thanks