Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission fluid change

A quick review of the Ravenol MTF-2.
For starters I never had any complaints about my transmission or the way it shifted from the factory.
Probably why I waited until 63k before changing it. Ok on to the review.
I do notice a slight improvement in gear engagement throughout the entire range. I am in stop and go traffic
on the highway a lot and this makes it just a little easier and smoother between shifts.
I would recommend this or something of equal or better quality for your transmission, and don't wait so long like me.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
A quick review of the Ravenol MTF-2.
For starters I never had any complaints about my transmission or the way it shifted from the factory.
Probably why I waited until 63k before changing it. Ok on to the review.
I do notice a slight improvement in gear engagement throughout the entire range. I am in stop and go traffic
on the highway a lot and this makes it just a little easier and smoother between shifts.
I would recommend this or something of equal or better quality for your transmission, and don't wait so long like me.
How much did you fill it with? The whole 2 liters, or did you match what came out from the factory fill?
Thanks

The whole 2 liters. After reading every post on our transmission it seems to be that the factory is now using 2 liters as there fill amount.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
How much did you fill it with? The whole 2 liters, or did you match what came out from the factory fill?
Thanks
Please lets not start this again for the love of god! I got my trans Replaced @26k and Pulled out 2L out of a brand new unit and installed 2L of Ravenol MTF-2 75-80
So that is what it got! Another member said in order to be 20mm below the fill hole it was about 2L also.[popcorn]

I also put 2L of Ravenol MTF-2 in this past weekend. Great shift feel and everything is smoother and less noisy. Won’t ever be using the stock fluid again. Next I think I’ll try the new stuff from Whoosh. 2L again. This trans is better over than under. It can’t be over-pressurized so what’s the harm? Underfilled obviously leads to issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Please lets not start this again for the love of god! I got my trans Replaced @26k and Pulled out 2L out of a brand new unit and installed 2L of Ravenol MTF-2 75-80
So that is what it got! Another member said in order to be 20mm below the fill hole it was about 2L also.[popcorn]
Not starting anything, just curious on the amount he used in the refill. The more info we have, the better the sampling it will be.

Edit: if you see my above post from the other day, I encountered the same discrepancy with fill hole measurements.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I also put 2L of Ravenol MTF-2 in this past weekend. Great shift feel and everything is smoother and less noisy. Won’t ever be using the stock fluid again. Next I think I’ll try the new stuff from Whoosh. 2L again. This trans is better over than under. It can’t be over-pressurized so what’s the harm? Underfilled obviously leads to issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. When I was doing my drain and fill last week, I shoulda ran my cable camera in there, see how the gears sit it the oil.
I put 2L in myself. I'm not worried about the overfill, even though I would imagine there's a reason for spec specifics that are beyond my level of expertise. [emoji41]

Edit: the fact of the matter is, putting 2L in is probably not overfill anyways, going by fill hole measurement calculations (as per the service manual) as opposed to what the supplement says.

Needed inspection, so I got the local shop I use to do an oil change and fill the gearbox with 2l of Ravenol that I supplied them with. Holy Sh*t! Haven't noticed oil make this much difference since I filled the engine of a car I was selling in the 70's with bearings that rattled like a can of rocks with pure STP. [wink] Smoooother changes, even a bit less clackity clack.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Needed inspection, so I got the local shop I use to do an oil change and fill the gearbox with 2l of Ravenol that I supplied them with. Holy Sh*t! Haven't noticed oil make this much difference since I filled the engine of a car I was selling in the 70's with bearings that rattled like a can of rocks with pure STP. [wink] Smoooother changes, even a bit less clackity clack.
Like I said all along....best fluid change I've done that made a difference....night and day!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^A lot of us switch to an external hex drain plug with a real powerful magnet in it as an extra precaution, even though yes, many will point out that there are magnets already in the gearbox housing (but those cannot be cleaned off unless/until one rebuilds the gearbox [:(]).