Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Permanent paint damage?

So I park in a large parking garage, and I came out to my car one day to see splatter marks on the back spoiler.

My question is if anyone knows how permanent this might be, or if it's easily reversible. If it is fixable, how would I go about it?

It looks pretty terrible and I'm pretty pissed it even happened. The car was parked under what I think is a drain line, but the line is super rusty. When I first saw it, the liquid already evaporated and there were crystals leftover.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

try bug and tar remover first. if it removes most of it, try to claybar the rest of it off. if that doesnt work... :( doesnt look permanent tho.

OP
C
Thread Starter #6
try bug and tar remover first. if it removes most of it, try to claybar the rest of it off. if that doesnt work... :( doesnt look permanent tho.
I just tried some light duty polishing compound. Seems to have taken care of the paint portion, bit definitely not doing it for the stripes. I assume I'll need to get some specialized products to clean the matte stripes at some point...

It's somewhat passable under certain lighting conditions, but glaringly obvious in others... Not in a good situation to work on restoring it all so hopefully it won't get worse over time.

Sorry to hear about your luck, at least the paint is fine!

Use caution when applying a polish to anything matte, as you can start to make it glossy by polishing it. That portion of vinyl is pretty small though, couldn't order a new piece from the dealer?

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
Sorry to hear about your luck, at least the paint is fine!

Use caution when applying a polish to anything matte, as you can start to make it glossy by polishing it. That portion of vinyl is pretty small though, couldn't order a new piece from the dealer?
Haven't tried the dealership option. I know there's cleaning options to treat matte stripes, but I haven't really looked in to them. Iirc, there's a video of some test methods on some dude's Camaro stripes, one of which was some kind of brush or abrasive that keeps the matte texture.

Definitely don't have the steady hands to apply the stripe correctly if I bought it.

Really wish I had my own garage to do this work comfortably, but that's another issue in itself.

ohdirka

Unfortunately I do not think the vinyl will be recoverable. The paint has clear coat that is less porous than the vinyl. It looks like it has etched into the vinyl. Maybe take it to a professional detailer and see if they can do anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if they said no.