Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gauge Pod, a DIY project.

This could be interesting. If I like V2 I could see myself putting in a order. Could you make it for both sides of the gauge cluster? Nice work on the project.

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #24
So I am at a point where I am going to start making a negative mold of the top part of the pod so that this can be reproduced a little easier. I also am working on ideas of copying the texture of the dash and transferring it to the pod so it looks like it belongs to the dash. If anybody is really interested in one or has any questions, let me know. My wife is due any day with baby #3, so any time spent on this project is going to be diminished. My hope is within the next week to have a working production of a few pods.

As for creating one for the other side (driver side) I will look into it. The hardest part would be making them mirror images. This is "hand made" and often changes and fixes have been made on the fly which results in tiny imperfections.

20160922_124323.jpg

Did you ever make any more of these? I now have my boost gauge and wondering if I can stay away from the vent pod as its balls hot here in AZ during the summer.

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #26
Did you ever make any more of these? I now have my boost gauge and wondering if I can stay away from the vent pod as its balls hot here in AZ during the summer.
My attempt at replicating the pod didn't turn out well. Even the prototype didn't hold up to my standards. The tab that I used to go inbetween the cracks in the dash and guage cluster to hold the pod in place put too much pressure on the dash. It takes to long to keep creating these things by hand. It is somewhat on hold now, but I am looking at alternatives like 3d printing to get the base just right.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Are you selling these??

IMPRESSIVE! [thumb]

I agree with you on the whole leaving a co$tly AP (or even a top line GPS or the like) in plain sight, 100% of the time like some do, as it is just too tempting for the less honest, and more nefarious amoungst us to resist (yes, even in "good areas"). [:(] (The sticky fingered could always get Cobb, or someone to unlock/un-marry it from your car, one way or another.)

I am even hesitant to leave the $500.00 AP in a sealed, HOT summer car interior, concealed and out of sight for fear of the 160*F+ temps effecting it negatively somehow, even if it is supposedly built to handle those temps. [wink]

This is awesome. Are you by chance selling these? If so, can you send me a PM!? Thanks!

Thanks guys. It took me a week to think of an area that met my requirements. I am not a huge fan of screwing anything into the dash and sticky things like tape don't last long in the Texas heat. So far it is molded to the edge of the upper shroud of the dash and the side of the speedometer gauge. So the idea behind this design will be to create "tabs" that will insert into the natural creases created by the joining areas of the dash and instrument cluster. I hope that there will be enough tension to hold it in place. The back-side of the pod will have a piece of felt or some sort of soft material to keep away any marring caused by vibrations to the instrument cluster. The vaccum hose will run under the steering column shroud up to the speedometer, so it should be mostly hidden.