Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gauge Pod, a DIY project.

Thought I would post this to hopefully give some of you ideas and get a little feed back. I know most prefer using the AP for extra gauges, and some use a vent pod. While these are all good options, I don't like the idea of leaving a $500 piece of equipment in the car and for me the vent gauge view is hindered by the steering wheel. This is my first attempt working with fiberglass and body filler. While it isn't perfect it turned out pretty good. Still have to run the vacuum line, with any luck will have it all hooked up this weekend.

the foundation.
20160903_101954.jpg

the test fit
20160908_071134.jpg
20160908_071144.jpg

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Do you have any larger photos? That's really great work.

That looks really nice. Like to see some more pics and detail of how it fits in place.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IMPRESSIVE! [thumb]

I agree with you on the whole leaving a co$tly AP (or even a top line GPS or the like) in plain sight, 100% of the time like some do, as it is just too tempting for the less honest, and more nefarious amoungst us to resist (yes, even in "good areas"). [:(] (The sticky fingered could always get Cobb, or someone to unlock/un-marry it from your car, one way or another.)

I am even hesitant to leave the $500.00 AP in a sealed, HOT summer car interior, concealed and out of sight for fear of the 160*F+ temps effecting it negatively somehow, even if it is supposedly built to handle those temps. [wink]

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #7
Thanks guys. It took me a week to think of an area that met my requirements. I am not a huge fan of screwing anything into the dash and sticky things like tape don't last long in the Texas heat. So far it is molded to the edge of the upper shroud of the dash and the side of the speedometer gauge. So the idea behind this design will be to create "tabs" that will insert into the natural creases created by the joining areas of the dash and instrument cluster. I hope that there will be enough tension to hold it in place. The back-side of the pod will have a piece of felt or some sort of soft material to keep away any marring caused by vibrations to the instrument cluster. The vaccum hose will run under the steering column shroud up to the speedometer, so it should be mostly hidden.

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Perfect line of sight, about the only way it could be any better would be to have a HUD (heads up display) boost gauge projected onto the windshield. [cool] [thumb]

Really nice and smart design and the best position I've seen for a boost gauge

What did you use to make the texture?
I've had an HUD project in mind for a while and it might come usefull!

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #12
Thanks everybody. To AwesomePawsum, I used a rustoleum spray-on bed liner. It gives it a little texture and hides some of the small imperfections.

An update: I had some time this weekend to work on the instillation. Being this is a little uncharted territory for me I ran into some fabrication issues. The area around the speedometer and where the pod meet I did not take into account the tubing. So I started cutting various holes in the pod trying to route the tubing through the pod as cleanly as possible. The issue I kept running into, and didn't take into account, was the length of the gauge and tube attachment. At one point I had the hose coming out the back side of the pod at such a severe angle it would put a kink in the hose. I spent a good deal of time trying to find a solution. Bottom line, the pod was a tad to short. The good news, the solution I have would be to either have a 90 degree elbow added so that any severe turns would eliminate kinks or use a section of more flexible hose. The not so good news is I have to create a new pod. Stay-tuned for Version 2.

Thanks everybody. To AwesomePawsum, I used a rustoleum spray-on bed liner. It gives it a little texture and hides some of the small imperfections.

An update: I had some time this weekend to work on the instillation. Being this is a little uncharted territory for me I ran into some fabrication issues. The area around the speedometer and where the pod meet I did not take into account the tubing. So I started cutting various holes in the pod trying to route the tubing through the pod as cleanly as possible. The issue I kept running into, and didn't take into account, was the length of the gauge and tube attachment. At one point I had the hose coming out the back side of the pod at such a severe angle it would put a kink in the hose. I spent a good deal of time trying to find a solution. Bottom line, the pod was a tad to short. The good news, the solution I have would be to either have a 90 degree elbow added so that any severe turns would eliminate kinks or use a section of more flexible hose. The not so good news is I have to create a new pod. Stay-tuned for Version 2.
Thanks mate, the answer is much appreciated !

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club

Your Version POD would still work for an electronic boost gauge where the sender unit is in the engine bay or hidden in the cabin and only wires are sent to the gauge. Would also mean smaller holes required. Just saying if you want to save your time and spend money on another gauge.

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #17
Sadly the pod is toast with all the random holes and tracks I drilled into it. I could fill them in, but honestly it would be quicker starting over. I have a few ideas with the same style in mind just going to tweak it a bit. If it works out the way I think it will it will look and function much better.

Seeing that I would love to get an intercooler, I would be open to creating a few extra pods if there were a few more interested. That is of course the design works.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Sadly the pod is toast with all the random holes and tracks I drilled into it. I could fill them in, but honestly it would be quicker starting over. I have a few ideas with the same style in mind just going to tweak it a bit. If it works out the way I think it will it will look and function much better.

Seeing that I would love to get an intercooler, I would be open to creating a few extra pods if there were a few more interested. That is of course the design works.
Well I would be interested for a 52mm boost gauge that I can actually see. The vent pod is blocked by my hands and wheel. Toying with creating something in the triangle window. Sadly our cars lack easy access to gauge pods.

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #20
V2 Pod. I think it came out better than the first one I did. Still needs a little more touch-up and sanding and then it will be ready for primer. [rockon]

Attachments