Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

resonator delete or symposer delete

hi i just recently bought my Fiesta ST 2015 and i was looking at cheap exhaust mods and i kept coming across either a resonator delete or symposer delete. i was wondering if somebody knew the difference between both or are they the same thing?

Thank-you
Chris

The Symposer is under the hood, it's like an engine kazoo. It's the noise you hear around 2500 RPM. It takes twenty minutes to do and the official part costs $20 out so. Search the forums.

A resonator is like a pre muffler, just under where your shifter is. It is big and triangular. Cost me $60 to have it replaced with a 2.25" diameter pipe. You may be pretty happy and not want a full exhaust change after. I like mine being gone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Symposer is under the hood, it's like an engine kazoo. It's the noise you hear around 2500 RPM. It takes twenty minutes to do and the official part costs $20 or so. Search the forums.
The 'un-official' part costs $2.99 + tax at any NAPA, Pep Boyzz, AA, AZ, etc.[wink]

OP
H
Thread Starter #5
which one do you think is better? which one is easier to deinstall if ever i want to go back stock? and does it affect waranty ?

The Symposer delete is the easiest to do and to reverse. Just keep your parts in a box in the garage. Totally reversible.

The thing is, your just going to make the interior of your car quieter, which is nice, but outside pretty much nothing had changed.

The Resonator delete should be pretty straight forward, it is reversible but people looking at the pipe will see the welds. It should not affect warranty just as a new muffler shouldn't, artist that's what they told me at my dealership.

The resonator delete sounds good to me, I'd delete the Symposer also as it is annoying after 3 months, and you'll be able to hear music better and your exhaust better too.

Please excuse the spelling- autocorrect is actually auto-incorrect on my phone.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This is a dumb noob question, but what is the purpose of doing either of these?
Purely for aural (sound) reasons.

The symposer delete allows the normal, natural sound of the engine/turbo/exhaust to be heard in the cabin, as opposed to a 'manufactured' artificial engine note (albeit NOT as 'cheesy' as all of the similar systems which actually pump the artificial sounds through the car's infotainment systems), which some people find not just annoying, but downright painful to their ears.

The resonator delete is for those who want more exhaust note, but without dropping $400.00 to $1200.00 on a complete new aftermarket exhaust system, while retaining a factory stock exhaust tip 'look'.

BOTH are VERY personal, individual choices/preferences, so it is hard to just make a blanket statement that they are "necessary", or required one way or another. [wink]

...The resonator delete is for those who want more exhaust note, but without dropping $400.00 to $1200.00 on a complete new aftermarket exhaust system...
... and gaining tiny HP/TRQ numbers (or none at all) with the aftermarket system. The general consensus is that the gains aren't worth the money, you're just changing the exhaust note. Same with aftermarket intakes. Performance -wise, they both are as good as or better than most aftermarket systems. (Someone correct me if I've missed the updates on this subject) So with that, it's cheaper to just remove either the muffler or the resonator and/or replace with an aftermarket one to get the sound you like.

Keep in mind that the resonator is designed to get rid of the "undesirable" sounds (raspy-ness) and to reduce drone. But to each their own.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
... and gaining tiny HP/TRQ numbers (or none at all) with the aftermarket system. The general consensus is that the gains aren't worth the money, you're just changing the exhaust note. Same with aftermarket intakes. Performance -wise, they both are as good as or better than most aftermarket systems. (Someone correct me if I've missed the updates on this subject) So with that, it's cheaper to just remove either the muffler or the resonator and/or replace with an aftermarket one to get the sound you like.

Keep in mind that the resonator is designed to get rid of the "undesirable" sounds (raspy-ness) and to reduce drone. But to each their own.
Yes, the only other thing that some of the aftermarket exhaust systems give you, besides sound, is that they are 304 austenitic stainless steel, vs. the factory system's (and some of the less costly aftermarket system's) 409 stainless steel, which is slightly lighter than 409 stainless (given the same size/count mufflers and resonators), and will not surface rust like 409 stainless eventually does.

Do yourself a favor and don't do a muffler delete. I did that first and the drone from 2600 to maybe 3200 rpm was unbearable. I got a magnaflow muffler a week later. Then it was too quiet. The resonator delete made me happy, and I've heard a few with factory muffler and a resonator delete and it sounds good enough.

Bluedrank

I did the resonator delete. It cost me 80 and took less than an hour. The sound is slightly more aggressive than stock, and I've found absolutely no issue with unbearable drone like the muffler delete or some aftermarket exhausts produce.

I've got to imagine it frees up the exhaust flow a tiny bit too, but who knows. I'm very pleased with the resonator delete either way, well worth the cost at under 100 dollar if you find the right shop.