Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

POLL: What Tune are you using on your Fiesta ST?

What Tune are you using on your Fiesta ST?

• COBB Tuning

Votes: 138 23.8%
  • Mountune

Votes: 85 14.7%
  • Tune+

Votes: 58 10.0%
  • Stratified Automotive Controls

Votes: 132 22.8%
  • DeadHook Motorsports

Votes: 23 4.0%
  • Livernois Motorsports

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Oz Tuning

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • PERON

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • "Self-Tuned" w/ COBB ATR

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Modern Automotive Performance

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • PD Tuning

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Dizzy Tuning

Votes: 115 19.9%

• Total voters

LILIKE16ST

Running a Stratified STG1 93 octane tune with 91 octane pump gas at one mile altitude.
I run the livernois 91 tune with 93 fuel to account for the crap winter blend fuels but I would NEVER run a 93 tune with 91 fuel no matter what that seems like a recipe for disaster I don't know if that was a type o or what just throwing that out there....

+1. I am really hoping that was a typo. 91 fuel for 93 Tune at 1 mile high altitude.....double whammy recipe for engine rebuild [sadpanda]

I run the livernois 91 tune with 93 fuel to account for the crap winter blend fuels but I would NEVER run a 93 tune with 91 fuel no matter what that seems like a recipe for disaster I don't know if that was a type o or what just throwing that out there....

This is what Stratified recommended. I even talked to one of their people over the phone about this. No, it's not a typo. Haven't been running it too long. I'd like to know if I need to switch back.

LILIKE16ST

This is what Stratified recommended. I even talked to one of their people over the phone about this. No, it's not a typo. Haven't been running it too long. I'd like to know if I need to switch back.
I'm sure there has to be some sort of mix up here. Maybe there was a misunderstanding I'm not sure why someone would suggest using a 93 octane tune with 91 fuel I could see the other way around using 91 tune with 93 fuel (what I'm doing for the winter just to give room a little wiggle room on the crap winter blends) maybe that's what they meant because I can't imagine them recommending the opposite I really think you should check into this like now and see what the issue is because that can't be right and it is a recipe for disaster so you really should look into fixing that asap. It seems to me like recipe for serious engine knock an possible detonation ecspecially at your altitude but who knows....

Well, I'm glad I posted that I guess. I already switched back down to the 91 tune to be safe. I'm a little spooked by what was said here but I haven't heard any knocking and certainly no detonation.

I've been googling about this and it looks like the idea of lower octane used in place of higher octane at high altitude comes from there not being enough pressure buildup in the cylinder to knock or detonate. I think this was especially true in older vehicles that didn't automatically compensate for the fuel. You can find plenty of people running 93 tunes with 91 gas at altitude with a google search, but apparently manufacturers like APR don't actually recommend it. I guess I'll be switching back to the 91 tune for good! Thanks for the heads up!

LILIKE16ST

Well, I'm glad I posted that I guess. I already switched back down to the 91 tune to be safe. I'm a little spooked by what was said here but I haven't heard any knocking and certainly no detonation.

I've been googling about this and it looks like the idea of lower octane used in place of higher octane at high altitude comes from there not being enough pressure buildup in the cylinder to knock or detonate. I think this was especially true in older vehicles that didn't automatically compensate for the fuel. You can find plenty of people running 93 tunes with 91 gas at altitude with a google search, but apparently manufacturers like APR don't actually recommend it. I guess I'll be switching back to the 91 tune for good! Thanks for the heads up!
No problem and I had not heard of that before. I kind of see the logic in one way but in another way the tune was meant for 93 fuel using 91 fuel seems like it would be a bad idea. I do understand what you're saying but it seems to me that's a bit of a crap shoot and like it's sort of like guesswork and that isn't good when it comes to the engine in your new vehicle. That seems like a wreck less thing to do I can't believe it's actually common at high altitudes. I uneeetand the concept it just doesn't seem like something I'd recommended doing ecspecially for the small gains in hp between the 91 and 93 tunes is it worth possibly putting your engine on the line? Probably not to most if not all people and it's probably good that you went back to the 91. You may very well have dodged a bullet and avoided damage due to your altitude and what you just explained to me but due to the fact that aftermarket tunes modify the thing that senses knock whatever it's called and the way the ecu works I'm not sure it would be a good idea to run higher octane tune than the fuel you're using. Now in my case I went with a 91 tune for winter with 93 gas because of the crap winter blend gas but in your case you may be ok running 91 tune 91 fuel due to what you explained to me about altitude I'm sure it'd be fine. But as far as 91 fuel 93 tune I would not do that. I'd like to see what others have to say about this in certainly no expert but that's my opinion based on my experience and understanding of the subject

No problem and I had not heard of that before. I kind of see the logic in one way but in another way the tune was meant for 93 fuel using 91 fuel seems like it would be a bad idea. I do understand what you're saying but it seems to me that's a bit of a crap shoot and like it's sort of like guesswork and that isn't good when it comes to the engine in your new vehicle. That seems like a wreck less thing to do I can't believe it's actually common at high altitudes. I uneeetand the concept it just doesn't seem like something I'd recommended doing ecspecially for the small gains in hp between the 91 and 93 tunes is it worth possibly putting your engine on the line? Probably not to most if not all people and it's probably good that you went back to the 91. You may very well have dodged a bullet and avoided damage due to your altitude and what you just explained to me but due to the fact that aftermarket tunes modify the thing that senses knock whatever it's called and the way the ecu works I'm not sure it would be a good idea to run higher octane tune than the fuel you're using. Now in my case I went with a 91 tune for winter with 93 gas because of the crap winter blend gas but in your case you may be ok running 91 tune 91 fuel due to what you explained to me about altitude I'm sure it'd be fine. But as far as 91 fuel 93 tune I would not do that. I'd like to see what others have to say about this in certainly no expert but that's my opinion based on my experience and understanding of the subject
I'll call Stratified next week and try to get some more info on the subject if I can. I've actually got a nice set of data logs from pulls I did on the 93 tune, so maybe they can take a look at those. I'm going to install a CAI today and was planning on doing another set to get an updated tune, and I think I'll do the new set with the 91 tune. I'll post an update when I talk to them.

Just installed the stage 1 93 tune from Cobb. Before the tune, the AP torque readout was dead on with my dyno results, 215lbs/ft peak. After the tune, reading 285lbs/ft! Holy crap, what a difference. Probably helps it's 30degrees right now, but I've not read of anyone getting these kinds of readings from just the cobb stage 1 93 tune. Fries tires in 3rd gear from a roll now and it's absolutely hilarious. Car is 100% stock other than a boomba BOV plate and CP-e RMM.

Went with Adam tuned at Tune+ for lifetime tune.
100% worth every penny. I love his work, he is prompt and professional. Any issues i have he has been able to easily resolve, the guy is a wizard.
On top of that i am making some very nice power over stock thanks to his work.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #72
How difficult was it to key in the tune yourself? Did you have past experience or just trial and error?
Prior to my FiST I used to tune my Nissan using EcuTek...As expected learning Ford's tuning strategy was a bit of learning curve...Braden (reverse engineer) at Cobb was very helpful in answering any tuning questions I had...Once you understand Ford's tuning strategies I found tuning the FiST to be fairly straight forward....

That said...In the near future once COBB releases their new / updated ATR program customers will be required to first go through an EFI on-line tuning class before purchasing ATR...

Prior to my FiST I used to tune my Nissan using EcuTek...As expected learning Ford's tuning strategy was a bit of learning curve...Braden (reverse engineer) at Cobb was very helpful in answering any tuning question I had...Once you understand Ford's tuning strategies I found tuning the FiST fairly straight forward....

That said...In the near future once COBB releases their new / updated ATR program customers will be required to first go through an EFI on-line tuning class before purchasing ATR...
That shouldn't be too much of a problem, I was going to look into classes anyways... thanks!

Went with Adam tuned at Tune+ for lifetime tune.
100% worth every penny. I love his work, he is prompt and professional. Any issues i have he has been able to easily resolve, the guy is a wizard.
On top of that i am making some very nice power over stock thanks to his work.
Chexmixa, I've purchased the lifetime bit have not started the process.... Have to install the waste gate doohicky and intercooler... Are you all stock? What max boost are you seeing?

Chexmixa, I've purchased the lifetime bit have not started the process.... Have to install the waste gate doohicky and intercooler... Are you all stock? What max boost are you seeing?
Currently I've got intake, intercooler, rmm, catback, 1 step colder plugs, and a catch can. I will generally spike as high 26psi but average 25 for Max PSI. Through the rev range it's between 22 and 23psi. By redline I'm down to 17psi.

Currently I've got intake, intercooler, rmm, catback, 1 step colder plugs, and a catch can. I will generally spike as high 26psi but average 25 for Max PSI. Through the rev range it's between 22 and 23psi. By redline I'm down to 17psi.
I'm running otc Cobb 93 and seeing consistant 17-18 psi... Does that seem normal before getting Adam on the custom tuning? Max is a rare 20psi.... Also is there a significant difference in power from 19 to 25

I'm running otc Cobb 93 and seeing consistant 17-18 psi... Does that seem normal before getting Adam on the custom tuning? Max is a rare 20psi.... Also is there a significant difference in power from 19 to 25
It's night and day bro. Huge difference! If you also use that wastegate you will wonder how you got around with out it. Adam will work with you, just be specific about anything you're noticing with the tune.

It's night and day bro. Huge difference! If you also use that wastegate you will wonder how you got around with out it. Adam will work with you, just be specific about anything you're noticing with the tune.
Sweet! That's the motivation I needed!

Can the canned tunes from Stratified and others be modified with the Cobb ATR or are they locked?

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #80
Can the canned tunes from Stratified and others be modified with the Cobb ATR or are they locked?
I know COBB's OTS maps can be modified using ATR..

Not sure about any others that offer OTS tunes but I would guess that they are all locked...