Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MFactory Helical LSD

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ok, I've had to answer this question and explain the technical stuff/reasoning behind it all on on every single forum for the past 10 years (and still do to this date), so I think I'm going to take another approach to this.

Rather than "me" explain things, I'm going to try to get "you" to explain it to yourself by a simple process of I ask a question; you answer. Hopefully at the end of the Q&A, you will have taught yourself enough to understand the differences, and I won't have said anything that people can label as "bias" etc etc

Sound good?
+1 - no need to ask MFactory to hash over the +/- of a Torsen LSD - this is probably one of the most discussed topics in the world of mechanical LSDs.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
+1 - no need to ask MFactory to hash over the +/- of a Torsen LSD - this is probably one of the most discussed topics in the world of mechanical LSDs.
I was NOT asking them to 'rehash' the benefits of a Torsen/worm gear style diff over a clutch plate style diff. [nono]
As I am already 'converted' to that 'faith' over even the best clutch plate type diffs (Cusco, OS Gikken, or whatever the latest greatest import fanboi 'flavor of the month' diff is).

Just what were their claimed benefits/advantages (OR their refuting of the other manufacturer's claims for their own Torsen type product) compared to/over the OTHER Torsen style diffs out there for our cars (Wavetrac, Quaife, and Peloquin ->which I've never heard of before {Europe only??}). [wink]

If you mean an unbiased technical comparison, then I would be more than happy to oblige :)
I'd like a technical comparison. Are there fundamental differences between the MFactory, Wavetrac, and Quaif differentials? I've seen a Torsen taken apart, but these are a different arrangement of the gears for the same effect, right?

The factory torque vectoring should apply brakes to a slipping wheel anyway, so isn't it a moot point whether it's done mechanically or not?

KKaWing

MFactory - traditional design with forged metal good price and awesome warranty, Wavetrac - does not go "open" when one wheel loses traction and USA made, Quaife - traditional design with big name fitted in the previous generation Focus RS (5-cyl. version)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
MFactory also claims USA made, but using Nippon forged steel, and many complicated heat treatment/tempering processes, and small shot peening for strength, and uniformity of finishes for friction reduction.

But does it also definitely go 'open' when one wheel loses traction, like the Quaife?? [dunno]

MFactory also claims USA made, but using Nippon forged steel, and many complicated heat treatment/tempering processes, and small shot peening for strength, and uniformity of finishes for friction reduction.

But does it also definitely go 'open' when one wheel loses traction, like the Quaife?? [dunno]
We don't claim "Made in USA", as we are a true international company and don't need to use patriotic marketing. With regards to your question, see my post above.

Happy to guide you in your way to answering your own question (and thus fully understanding it), but I won't answer it for you (been there, done that; thousands of times)

I'd like a technical comparison. Are there fundamental differences between the MFactory, Wavetrac, and Quaif differentials? I've seen a Torsen taken apart, but these are a different arrangement of the gears for the same effect, right?
Fundamental Design (i.e how it operates): All 4 major "quality" Helical LSD's on the market function off the same principles.
Manufacture: Each uses slightly different manufacturing process'. I can expand on this if requested
Performance: There is no difference between Quaife and Peloquin. MFactory went a slightly different route, and Wavetrac have their patented wave lock mechanism which only comes into effect when a wheel is unloaded

The factory torque vectoring should apply brakes to a slipping wheel anyway, so isn't it a moot point whether it's done mechanically or not?
That is correct, yes (provided it isn't turned off). That is where Wavetrac would "technically" have an advantage, but it is not as black & white as it seems

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF Wavetrac's patented wave lock system was not (patented that is), would your company have incorporated it into your diff's design, or do your engineers surmise (or somehow KNOW for FACT) it is flawed/useless in a MAJOR way, anyway? [???:)]

IF Wavetrac's patented wave lock system was not (patented that is), would your company have incorporated it into your diff's design, or do your engineers surmise (or somehow KNOW for FACT) it is flawed/useless in a MAJOR way, anyway? [???:)]
No, we wouldn't. Like the original designers of the wave lock mechanism (it was not designed by Wavetrac), we deem it unnecessary. With regards to it being flawed/useless in a practical sense, I/we have our opinions, but I don't want to open a can of worms on a public forum (again, been there, done that; thousands of times)

codestp202

No, we wouldn't. Like the original designers of the wave lock mechanism (it was not designed by Wavetrac), we deem it unnecessary. With regards to it being flawed/useless in a practical sense, I/we have our opinions, but I don't want to open a can of worms on a public forum (again, been there, done that; thousands of times)
Do you guys do installs at your San Dimas location? If so, how much would it cost to drive down purchase the diff from you guys and have it installed?

Any reviews of people running this LSD? Mine will get install next week. I have seen lots of potential buyers but no review yet...

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Emailed MFactory to get a answer on the TBR of their IB6 differential. Response :

"it is 2.1:1, so around 66%"

I have one on order and hope to get it installed for AutoX.

I have it, driven on it for about 1k and love it! I was honestly hoping it would help with traction, and it does work as designed in that regards, but now I light up both wheels instead of just one! Overall it's a great product, and like the idea that I don't have friction material (from a clutch based LSD) inside the transmission. I've beat on it hard and gone through an AutoX with it and it's worth it to have the car handle a certain way and have it repeatedly handle in that way.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I have it, driven on it for about 1k and love it! I was honestly hoping it would help with traction, and it does work as designed in that regards, but now I light up both wheels instead of just one! Overall it's a great product, and like the idea that I don't have friction material (from a clutch based LSD) inside the transmission. I've beat on it hard and gone through an AutoX with it and it's worth it to have the car handle a certain way and have it repeatedly handle in that way.
Really appreciate this honest review. I've contemplated LSD for a year or so now and chose against it because (a) I don't track my car and (b) I predicted that I'd simply get 2 wheel burnouts instead of 1 wheel burnouts, which is pointless. For street driving/daily driving I decided against the LSD for these reasons. Glad it's helping on the track. Thanks again this is refreshing.

Mikey456

Just curious.. how much power or what tune are you running? I have stock power and wonder if the LSD would be worth it. I loose traction in 2nd gear, if I’m not powering out carefully out of sharp turns.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Just curious.. how much power or what tune are you running? I have stock power and wonder if the LSD would be worth it. I loose traction in 2nd gear, if I’m not powering out carefully out of sharp turns.
The MFactory diff eliminated inside wheel-spin coming out of turns in my car. Stock turbo with Stratified tune. It is the best modification I have done to the car for track/aggressive purposes.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
210WHP/268WTQ, Tune+ E30 Tune
What mods? I got 210/300 SAE corrected on Dizzy e30, just a few mild mods... But I think an LSD is just as important for traction as RMM and upper motor mounts for any car that is even normal tuned and you care about traction at all. Sure, the Cobb TC dialed in definitely helps but still...