Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

3d Printing interior parts

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #83
These look really great, but I really want one machined out of aluminum. I know you're 3D printing them, but is a brushed aluminum version possible?
I could CNC them from aluminum but I'm sure the price wouldn't be worth it. I'm looking for a good matching brushed aluminum vinyl but nothing I like yet. I might be painting and polishing to get that look.

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #84
Any opinions on the climate control knob before I make one? I modeled this first attempt with the Audi knobs in mind.

Fiesta ST knob v8.jpg

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would only be interested in an aluminum option. The way i see it, i already spin a plastic knob. A better plastic knob wouldn't do much for me. What would also be cool in aluminum are the trim rings around outer A/C vents.

Aluminum vents & knobs would motivate me to repurchase the shifter trim to match ;)

I would be *way* in for aluminum, but a convincingly metallic plastic would be a nice visual upgrade for those climate knobs. I'm about to order your shift bezel as well. Very nice piece!

Edit: Is a gloss black finish available for the shift boot trim? I was looking at trying to match the feel of the gloss black stereo control panel up by the display screen...

mine should be coming in tomorrow. got my paint ready (silver, gloss). probably post some final pics sunday night

anyone have a source for the thin 3M Tape?
- Lazy Guy
i don't think you'll find any thin enough out of the box. i'm just going to use what i have laying around and cut it to size.

Here are some pictures of mine installed. I used the first aluminum paint I found but it wasn't the best match. This is for demonstration purposes anyway, but I still really like the way it looks. If anyone finds a good color match I think the trim will look OEM. The paint I used was an all-in-one so I think with a primer and clear coat it will look awesome. I simply hit the 3D print with paint to see the outcome.

View attachment 12383

View attachment 12387

View attachment 12386

View attachment 12382

View attachment 12381

View attachment 12380

View attachment 12388

View attachment 12379

Well I'll for sure take one, the color match is pretty spot on for just aluminum paint.

What do you guys think of trying out the yellow to match my new shift knob? Is your yellow a close match to the Mountune yellow?

Sorry for the sideways pic

Mountune Knob.JPG

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #97
Matte black ordered, will post photos after install. Expected to arrive around 12/14.

I like the black. I'm working on other parts which I ordered in black to check it out.

rsz_img_0295.jpg

What do you guys think of trying out the yellow to match my new shift knob? Is your yellow a close match to the Mountune yellow?
I never saw the yellow yet, but I'm sure it'll be bright like their other colors. It may not match your knob perfectly but I think it could look pretty cool.

... and for anyone wondering about carbon fiber. I tested out a piece to see how it would turn out.

rsz_img_0311.jpg

... and for anyone wondering about carbon fiber. I tested out a piece to see how it would turn out.
View attachment 12539
looks great!!

here's mine. little bit of primer, then silver paint, then gloss. pretty happy with the outcome!

DSC06395.jpg by Chris Hersh, on Flickr

DSC06398.jpg by Chris Hersh, on Flickr

DSC06405.jpg by Chris Hersh, on Flickr

DSC06407.jpg by Chris Hersh, on Flickr

DSC06409.jpg by Chris Hersh, on Flickr

DSC06410.jpg by Chris Hersh, on Flickr

DSC06411.jpg by Chris Hersh, on Flickr

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #100
I've been waiting to see everyone's color choices. Yours looks awesome!! Great job! [thumb]