Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

NEW ENKEI RPF1 Group Buy, 16x7 43mm 4x108, NOW TAKING DEPOSITS. Make sure to PM

Trader history for OAKOS Automotive (0)

GAbOS

That's great, except that I want a tire that's ~.5" taller overall than OEM O.D., not .2" shorter O.D. than stock height.
If I had known that when I posted before I would have offered an option for you. Good thing the internets is super easy to use.

Dunlop StarSpec 205/50 r16 - 24.1" OD w/ 7.5" tread width

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If I had known that when I posted before I would have offered an option for you. Good thing the internets is super easy to use.

Dunlop StarSpec 205/50 r16 - 24.1" OD w/ 7.5" tread width
Yup, thanks, I knew about those, but want even a little wider than that. ;)

GAbOS

Yup, thanks, I knew about those, but want even a little wider than that. ;)
Make sure the tire you get has super stiff sidewalls or it may try to roll over on itself if you go any wider. 7.5" is starting to it on a 7" wheel. ;)

I have StarSpec 225's on a 7.5 inch wheel so I've have some experience with that.

I'm thinking for my needs the 215/45 is going to be ideal. I want more meat, without having any rubbing, considering the Mountune springs I'm sitting on. I've tried finding photos of a FiST with 16x7 215/45 for their set up but came up short. Anyone have any photos of this for reference? I've found plenty of people running more meaty tires than that, but thats about it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have StarSpec 225's on a 7.5 inch wheel so I've have some experience with that.
This is EXACTLY what I want to know about, so PLEASE 'do tell' ALL of the pros and cons of that setup (for street use), and just how much 'worse' it would be with 225/45-16 Star Specs on a 16x7. ;)

GAbOS

Why did you break wheels with that set up? The tire seems meaty enough to absorb any shocks from a rough road. What happened?

GAbOS

Why did you break wheels with that set up? The tire seems meaty enough to absorb any shocks from a rough road. What happened?
The dumbest of reason. I tried to race someone up the on ramp.

Popped the clutch on the 340 with 225/45 r16 and it instantly whipped it's ass, the normal move to recover put it in an instant tail slap that I couldn't recover from. This is compared to the same tire at 205 on a 15x8"

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OK, THANKS, and although I am sorry/saddened that this happened to you, I am glad you lived to tell/warn us about it!

ALL THE MORE reason why we NEED MANY MORE 16x8 options for our exact setups!!!! [mad]

Manufacturers/vendors are you LISTENING?!?!?

Now I am hoping that even a narrow 215/45-16 on a 7 will be acceptable on the street. [dunno]

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I ran a 225/45/16 star spec on a 16x7 and hated the feel of it. I really want a good 16x8. Wish we could get them to do the rpf1 because I need a good wheel before next season of autocross. I will start looking elsewhere soon if the rpf1 doesn't come along.

The dumbest of reason. I tried to race someone up the on ramp.

Popped the clutch on the 340 with 225/45 r16 and it instantly whipped it's ass, the normal move to recover put it in an instant tail slap that I couldn't recover from. This is compared to the same tire at 205 on a 15x8"
Should this make me feel concerned when running a 215/45 on the RPF1 16x7?

GAbOS

If you want confidence when making fast reactions with your steering wheel; Get the right tire.

To say or scream that we need a 16x8 is too much really. I would still run a 205 r16 on an 8" wide wheel. Then again, I drive my cars hard. If you park yours, I see the need.

FWIW, I am using these for autocross exclusively so I wanted the most meat I could get. The Bridgestone RE-71R comes in a 225/50-16, but my eyeball said there was no way. The 50-series on a 225 is just too tall for an unmodified FiST. I swapped them for set of BFG RivalS in 215/45-16 and they look to be about right. Wider contact patch than OEM without too much concern about rubbing. Of course, I won't know until I get the wheels in a few months!

Yes. "Beefy" is great for looks but not for use.
Interesting.... I'll have to tell all the Miata guys that have for years proven that a 225 tire on a 8 inch wheel is significantly faster than a 205 tire on an 8 inch wheel. You know, the Miata guys that run harder than probably 99.9% of people here haha.

?For ideal handling: when sizing a tire for a given wheel, I usually target a tire?s TREAD width to be as wide as the WHEEL width, or 0.5? narrower than the wheel width.? -Billy Johnson (Professional GTE/Series Champion) http://www.billyjohnsonracing.com/career-highlights.html

The 225/45/16 Star Spec is 7.5 inch wide section width. That makes it the ideal size for an 8 inch wheel. Your 205/50/16's have a 6.5 section width, which is too small of a tire for that wheel to have optional performance. So keep your turn in, because initial response doesn't transfer into track times 1 to 1.

I've always been under the impression it worked the other way around..
Yeah, the gentlemen has it mixed up.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^So, according to the above theory, (and accepting that the 225/45-16 Star Spec IS actually only a 7.5" tread width), that tire on a 16x7 is NOT as "horrid" as all of the 'turn-in stretchies' on here claim it to/will be, especially for mainly street use???!!! [???:)]