Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Evap purge valve issues

Garytdi

Bringing this back again cause my car went from throwing the code once every other month to coming back every couple days. Now this is something I need to fix

Problem is the "fix" is so unreliable. I've read so many threads and it's a 50/50 fix. Who has had luck on a 16+?
Your post reminds me to give a followup. For me, the Dealership changing the purge valve didn’t help and then they tried replacing with another one and that didn’t help. Earlier this week they did a smoke test and found a leak around the 9D653 Cannister so they replaced that as they were able to pull a hose right off of it without any effort. We’ll see in a week whether this fixed the issue, crossing my fingers.

Anybody know if this issue is covered under the powertrain warranty or bumper to bumper warranty?

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Forgot to update

Finaly did the Purge valve and the light has not came back since. No more stumbling either

Is the evap purge valve covered under the "8 years or 80,000 mile" emissions warranty? I brought it in the dealer with the symptoms that it drops idle/stalls after every fill up. The service writer just said, ''we're not going to diagnose that."

This should be relatively easy to get to. Can't find information on how to change the evap parts, but of course someone is selling a skid plate for it, and that tells you everything you need to know, based on the photos.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/5690-Evap-Canister-Skid-Plate
I bought the car from a dealer, had that problem, and later noticed the evap line was broken off the evap canister and tucked into the back bumper. Replaced the lines and solenoid and it worked... then I bought and installed that skid plate. Had a similar issue shortly after. Ended up being the low pressure side fuel pressure sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, that hasn't worked on my car. I don't top it off, I wait, then remove and still get the stutter. Sometimes it even shuts off.

I've had some luck with the in/out routine. Do that a few times and it seems to be okay. Going to have the dealer fix it before 3/36 is up.
I used the emergency fuel filler funnel for 30 seconds after fill up and it seemed to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It would be under 3yr/36k mile warranty for sure ...but its also considered to be a part of the emissions system and all manufacturers are 8yr/80k by law federally.[party]

AzNightmare

It would be under 3yr/36k mile warranty for sure ...but its also considered to be a part of the emissions system and all manufacturers are 8yr/80k by law federally.[party]
Too late. I am at month 40.

[V]

Never heard of the 8yr/80k law. Any more info where I can read up on it?

Is a faulted canister purge valve assembly considered a emissions system?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club

FiestZA

Having this issue with my 2017 base S model & found this thread with Google; thought it was as good a place as any (apologies for the Noob post).

FWIW- Ford announced a "malfunctioning canister purge valve" recall for 2012-2018 Ford Focus models on 10-25-2018. Link.

Best as I can tell, the Fiesta and Focus models essentially have the same EVAP system, albeit with slightly different parts. Which is to say, I expect them to add Fiesta's to the recall at some point (so dig out your service receipts!) Ford offers this diagnostic advice for anyone waiting on a recall:
Dealers will reprogram the powertrain control module with new software that will detect a malfunctioning canister purge valve and prevent a potential excessive fuel vapor system vacuum condition from occurring. Dealers will inspect and replace the canister purge valve, carbon canister, fuel tank and fuel delivery module, as necessary. There will be no charge for these services. Customers should maintain at least a half tank of fuel until the recall is completed.
Seeing as I use my car as a Pizza delivery vehicle, I run the tank down to E constantly (this is bad, I know) and my guess is that's why I'm having this problem at <40k miles. But I wonder if folks who have modded their intakes are more prone to the issue regardless of vehicle/fuel/fill-up use/habits simply because of changes to the "vacuum condition" which are being detected as abnormal by the control module?

Also..
My reading of the PDF in the link you provided is that the 80k warranty only applies to the catalytic converter and the ECU and OBD computer units. Emissions Warranties for 1995 and Newer Light-duty Cars and Trucks under 8,500 Pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - see the bottom of page 4

And although this is from a two-year old post from another thread on this forum, I thought it worth mentioning here (for anyone else looking for info on the same issue)..
Just a question - If this code were to keep popping should I be worried? Is it really that big of a deal that the EVAP check valve seeing issues? car seem to run fine regardless just wanted to make sure.
IF the valve is stuck open, then that would suggest that the engine is running lean which can not just hurt your gas mileage but also your engine; the Focus recall notice above also indicates it could damage the plastic fuel tank and/or lead to fluctuating and inaccurate fuel levels, leading to a stall. For me, the problem occurs on start-ups after refills (causing me to crank the engine maybe 5X+ longer than normal), which can wear on the crankshaft and battery. For others (particularly automatics?), the problem can result in a vehicle stall while in traffic- obviously dangerous. More than that, I half-expect to be stranded at the pump over this while some j-off waiting in line behind me starts to lay on the horn instead of simply moving over to another pump.

My method has been to floor the gas pedal as the car turns over and rev the engine in neutral for 15 secs or so, but the start-up cranks have been getting longer. Given my work/drive schedule this has been a swift-moving headache that only started a couple weeks ago and I'm thoroughly scared off of my DIY tilt thanks to enderw88's post on Page 3 of this thread. I'll be taking this to the dealer tomorrow with my knowledge from you all here- although I fully expect to be charged full price despite the Focus recall, and I half-expect them to tell me that I'll need to wait while they order a new valve (with a full weekend of slingin' ZA's ahead of me!).. cuz, you know, Murphy's Law and all.

AzNightmare

So an update:

I dropped my car off to let them diagnose it at the shop and and later that day, they told me it was a faulty purge valve assembly. All my codes are related to that one issue. But they currently don't have the part to replace it at the moment. They ordered a new one that will take a few days to arrive. And so we made a new appointment next week so that they can replace the part.

When I went back to pick up my car, my issue has stopped and my car has not shut itself off since. I noticed my radio settings were all reset, so I assume they did something to reset the ecu. But I can't tell if they did anything else. I assume no? But car has been running fine since.

Was there something they could have done software wise to remedy this issue? I haven't paid anything yet, since I guess they'll bill me next week when I take my car in again, when they replace my faulty purge valve assembly.

I'm gonna fill up soon, so I'll see if the car is still dropping idle like before.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So an update:

I dropped my car off to let them diagnose it at the shop and and later that day, they told me it was a faulty purge valve assembly. All my codes are related to that one issue. But they currently don't have the part to replace it at the moment. They ordered a new one that will take a few days to arrive. And so we made a new appointment next week so that they can replace the part.

When I went back to pick up my car, my issue has stopped and my car has not shut itself off since. I noticed my radio settings were all reset, so I assume they did something to reset the ecu. But I can't tell if they did anything else. I assume no? But car has been running fine since.

Was there something they could have done software wise to remedy this issue? I haven't paid anything yet, since I guess they'll bill me next week when I take my car in again, when they replace my faulty purge valve assembly.

I'm gonna fill up soon, so I'll see if the car is still dropping idle like before.
Just a guess...they reset the codes and flashed the ECU.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

Just a guess...they reset the codes and flashed the ECU.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Well the codes were already gone. Since I uninstalled my AP before I took it in. lol
I told them I did scan it myself and gave them the codes I had. But I'm sure these techs know all about this issue based on the symptoms I gave them.

Dealer said they couldn't reproduce the problem. I even have video of the RPMs dropping while idle. $150 later they said the purge valve near the gas filler should be replaced since it was covered in spiderwebs, and would cause similar symptoms. Is the evap purge hose that Whoosh sells the same evap purge hose that other people have been using to fix this issue? Thanks.