Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Evap purge valve issues

Hey all,

I've been a long time lurker.
Anyways, I've been having the common idle issue after fill up. AFR and rpm goes all wonkey while idling until I drive it for atleast 10 minutes.
Always use Shell 93, always wait 30 seconds or more before removing nozzle, (Ive tried everything from 5 seconds to 2 minutes).
I know the fix is supposedly the evap purge valve or something. I was wondering what the part number is for this, as I honestly don't trust taking my car to the dealer unless necessary. Is this any easy fix?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Hey Chris,

I believe you want PN C1BZ9C915A

There is also a solenoid in the vapor canister near the rear of the car.

Had the exact same issue. In addition to not topping off, also try removing the fuel nozzle and inserting it back in, then pulling it out again. I repeat this cycle a couple times.

OP
cjpasch
Thread Starter #7
Sorry for the rather belated reply all.

are you shutting the car off before filling?
yep, always.

Also do not try any top up. The lever clicks you stop.
Yeah I only topped off once, and I think that is around when the problem started happening. That was like a year ago though.

Had the exact same issue. In addition to not topping off, also try removing the fuel nozzle and inserting it back in, then pulling it out again. I repeat this cycle a couple times.
I am going to try this next time I fill up. I also saw some people were able to fix it by turning off hill assist. Tried that to no avail.

Any codes popping up? Mine just started doing it.
Nah. No codes. Everything is fine once I've cruised in atleast 5th or 6th gear uninterrupted for a few minutes.

Hey Chris,

I believe you want PN C1BZ9C915A

There is also a solenoid in the vapor canister near the rear of the car.
Thanks Mitch. Do you think I'll need any of these parts? http://www.fordpartscatalog.com/aut.../emission-system-cat/emission-components-scat

I have been experiencing this issue from day 1 on my Fist. Literally day 1, hour 1. My car had about 75 miles on it when I purchased it. The low-fuel light was illuminated at the time I test drove it. The salesman and I drove together to the nearest station, a Shell in Houston, TX, and I filled it up. At that time, I was not aware of the "wait 5 seconds to remove fuel filler nozzle" I can't imagine I was so fast to remove the filler in less than 5 seconds, though. Nevertheless as I was idling the car afterward, trying to pair my phone with Bluetooth, the engine stalled. I thought to myself, great, I have just traded my VW GTI which had trouble starting under certain conditions for a vehicle that randomly stalls...

This issue has persisted ever since. The only way around it, I've found, is to leave the fuel filler in the tank for about 45 seconds to 1 minute after the pump automatically shuts off. I decided I should actually have it fixed when the car stalled on me while I was on the road in traffic. At that point I searched the NHTSA records and found another complaint about this issue. I filed my own complaint, and I suggest everyone else with this concern do the same.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/FORD/FIESTA/5%2520HB/FWD#complaints

October 12, 2015 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10781496
Components: FUEL/PROPULSION SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 10781496

Incident Date August 27, 2015

Consumer Location HONOLULU, HI

Vehicle Identification Number 3FADP4GX4FM****

Summary of Complaint

THIS PROBLEM INITIALLY SURFACED WITH LESS THAN 2500 MILES ON THE VEHICLE. IMMEDIATELY AFTER REFUELING MY VEHICLE, THE ENGINE WOULD STUMBLE AND SOMETIMES STALL COMPLETELY, WHILE AT A STOP AND WITH THE ENGINE IDLING. THE FORD DEALERSHIP DETERMINED THE PROBLEM TO BE A FAULTY EVAPORATION CANISTER PURGE VALVE IN THE FUEL SYSTEM. THE AMOUNT OF FUEL I ADDED TO THE TANK DID NOT SEEM TO MATTER AS EACH TIME I DID SO, THE ENGINE WOULD STUMBLE OR STALL WITHIN 1-2 MINUTES FOLLOWING THE FILL-UP. ONCE THE STUMBLING OR STALL HAD OCCURRED, THE VEHICLE RETURNED TO NORMAL OPERATION WITHOUT ISSUE (OR UPON RESTARTING THE VEHICLE) UNTIL THE NEXT TIME I WOULD NEED TO ADD FUEL. THE STUMBLING AND STALLING WAS PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS AS IT TENDED TO OCCUR AS I WAS PULLING AWAY FROM THE GAS STATION, MERGING INTO TRAFFIC AT A BUSY INTERSECTION OR ON-RAMP.
This week I finally decided to take it to the dealer to have fixed. They had my car for a week only to claim they could not reproduce the issue or find anything wrong.

If this is indeed the purge valve, I am probably going to just replace it myself to avoid being without the car for even more time. Probaly is I don't have the service manual and don't physically know where these parts are! If I have to drop the tank, I'm far more likely to press the dealer to do it. Does anyone have this portion of the service manual they could post since this seems to be such a common problem?
=----
And I quote from the tech's report "unable to duplicate concern. self test, koer and noeo, no dtcs, no historc dtcs, mode 6 all pass. performed evap self test twice, pases both times. filled tank with fuel, vehicle has no issues, noticed after market oil catch can installed, not sure if it could be altering map input fuel trims or not. no issues found at this time."

Sure, blame the oil catch can when all else fails. Especially considering the engine stalled 1 hour after I signed the papers with 75 miles on it :( Disappointed.

I have been experiencing this issue from day 1 on my Fist. Literally day 1, hour 1. My car had about 75 miles on it when I purchased it. The low-fuel light was illuminated at the time I test drove it. The salesman and I drove together to the nearest station, a Shell in Houston, TX, and I filled it up. At that time, I was not aware of the "wait 5 seconds to remove fuel filler nozzle" I can't imagine I was so fast to remove the filler in less than 5 seconds, though. Nevertheless as I was idling the car afterward, trying to pair my phone with Bluetooth, the engine stalled. I thought to myself, great, I have just traded my VW GTI which had trouble starting under certain conditions for a vehicle that randomly stalls...

This issue has persisted ever since. The only way around it, I've found, is to leave the fuel filler in the tank for about 45 seconds to 1 minute after the pump automatically shuts off. I decided I should actually have it fixed when the car stalled on me while I was on the road in traffic. At that point I searched the NHTSA records and found another complaint about this issue. I filed my own complaint, and I suggest everyone else with this concern do the same.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/FORD/FIESTA/5%2520HB/FWD#complaints

This week I finally decided to take it to the dealer to have fixed. They had my car for a week only to claim they could not reproduce the issue or find anything wrong.

If this is indeed the purge valve, I am probably going to just replace it myself to avoid being without the car for even more time. Probaly is I don't have the service manual and don't physically know where these parts are! If I have to drop the tank, I'm far more likely to press the dealer to do it. Does anyone have this portion of the service manual they could post since this seems to be such a common problem?
=----
And I quote from the tech's report "unable to duplicate concern. self test, koer and noeo, no dtcs, no historc dtcs, mode 6 all pass. performed evap self test twice, pases both times. filled tank with fuel, vehicle has no issues, noticed after market oil catch can installed, not sure if it could be altering map input fuel trims or not. no issues found at this time."

Sure, blame the oil catch can when all else fails. Especially considering the engine stalled 1 hour after I signed the papers with 75 miles on it :( Disappointed.
That was actually my post on NHTSA. The evap purge valve change did do the trick....for a while. The problem just recently cropped up again. I agree that if you leave the filler nozzle in for more than 30 seconds after it stops or repeatedly insert and remove the nozzle a few times after you refuel, it doesn't stall or stumble.

That was actually my post on NHTSA. The evap purge valve change did do the trick....for a while. The problem just recently cropped up again. I agree that if you leave the filler nozzle in for more than 30 seconds after it stops or repeatedly insert and remove the nozzle a few times after you refuel, it doesn't stall or stumble.
Ha! How about that. The fact that the evap purge valve worked for you, even for a while, is a good sign. I wonder how hard it is to change out. The parts don't seem to be prohibitively expensive. I read about a similar issues on a Focus ST forums also, so this seems to be a relatively common Ford thing.

Its been reported across different models. I'm honestly not sure where it is but I agree that the price will probably be cheap. It took the dealer all but a day for the repair. They did need to check the evap canister for fuel contamination though, which came out negative.

I ordered the part from RockAuto:

MOTORCRAFT CX2456 Vapor Canister Purge Valve / Solenoid $ 11.90 $ 0.00 1 $ 11.90

I can't find a consistent picture of it, but I found something similar in the engine bay that may be it. A Bosch label on it and number 0280142517. Not sure what this is or if it's even related.

The canister is about $60 and the solenoid assembly is $24. I may give those a try if the purge valve doesn't fix it.

I ordered the part from RockAuto:

MOTORCRAFT CX2456 Vapor Canister Purge Valve / Solenoid $ 11.90 $ 0.00 1 $ 11.90

I can't find a consistent picture of it, but I found something similar in the engine bay that may be it. A Bosch label on it and number 0280142517. Not sure what this is or if it's even related.

The canister is about $60 and the solenoid assembly is $24. I may give those a try if the purge valve doesn't fix it.
Let me know how it goes and post pics or do a video. I'll also consider replacing these parts myself if your situation resolves itself. The dealer just takes too long on these sort of things.

Small update. I received the purge valve from RockAuto, but I'm not sure if I can install it as is. The hoses that attach to the valve are rigid plastic and appear to be heat-shrunk onto the nipples, making them difficult if not impossible to remove without damage. I have not contacted the dealer parts dept, but I suspect they will sell an assembly with the relevant hoses pre-molded to the valve, probably costing upwards of a hundred bucks.

Anyone dealt with this rigid plastic hoses?

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Hey all,

I've been a long time lurker.
Anyways, I've been having the common idle issue after fill up. AFR and rpm goes all wonkey while idling until I drive it for atleast 10 minutes.
Always use Shell 93, always wait 30 seconds or more before removing nozzle, (Ive tried everything from 5 seconds to 2 minutes).
I know the fix is supposedly the evap purge valve or something. I was wondering what the part number is for this, as I honestly don't trust taking my car to the dealer unless necessary. Is this any easy fix?

Thanks for any help.

Chris
nothing wrong with the car
this issue has popped up in a few threads. My car was doing the same exact thing as well as many here....

when filling after it clicks the first time stop
don't try to top off - just stop there

problem solved, promise!

nothing wrong with the car
this issue has popped up in a few threads. My car was doing the same exact thing as well as many here....

when filling after it clicks the first time stop
don't try to top off - just stop there

problem solved, promise!
Unfortunately, that hasn't worked on my car. I don't top it off, I wait, then remove and still get the stutter. Sometimes it even shuts off.

I've had some luck with the in/out routine. Do that a few times and it seems to be okay. Going to have the dealer fix it before 3/36 is up.

While I have not looked on my FiST, I have never seen a purge valve located in the engine bay of a front engine vehicle. It should be back near the tank, I'll take a look later and see if I can find it. But very rarely will you need to really remove anything to get to a purge valve.