Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

E30 mixing chart

Trader history for Alex@Stratified (0)

E30 fuel mixes are a great thing to have. Maximizing performance without knock while still keeping the stock fuel system within reasonable operating bounds and not having to worry about gumming up the high pressure fuel pumps. We have a lot of customers using these mixtures with our tunes and we are often asked how to maintain the mixture in the tank. Because not everyone goes right to empty before filling up and few people have an ethanol sensor installed, we created a table that shows how to maintain the E30 blend when filling up with different amounts. Keep in mind that this table is correct when using E10 pump premium fuel (most common) and E85 fuel. Keep this little chart in your phone for reference.

This chart tells you how much E85 to mix with 93 at the time you are filling to achieve the E30 mixture. If you are filling with E85 for the first, time, the total amount you are filling is the size of your tank.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Pretty good little chart. However, I think it needs a disclaimer somewhere along the lines of don't go trying to get a 100% full tank. Without a gauge, a good little hint here is to use the fuel percentage PID that the AP has with 11.2 gal as max, and round off to the lowest whole number. That number is how much fuel you can put in to get very close to full without distorting the blend. It sounds complicated, but it's really quick and simple math.

X% * 11.2 = Gr

11.2 - Gr = Em

Gr= Gal remaining
Em= E30 mix or how much fuel you can add.

Once you have your Em, round it down. Take that number and refer to this nifty little chart. So for example.

20% * 11.2 = 2.24
11.2 - 2.24 = 8.96
8 gal = 5.9 93/ 2.1 E30

11.2 isn't an arbitrary number, BTW. It's the number I've found to usually be how much I can fit in my tank when I'm using ethanol. I've heard lots of different experiences, from people fitting 13 gal to people only fitting 11 into the tank. So, this process leaves a little room for Jesus and lets you fill up at anytime, with confidence you'll get the right mix. Especially if you're like me, and there's only one E85 station withing 30-40 miles. I know most may not agree with this, so that's fine. I just felt like sharing my process to make sure I get right every time.

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
It would be a good thing to test the content of the gas stations you use every now and then just to get a baseline of what is in there. I have an ethanol content gauge in my Evo and it has never passed 80% using 3 different gas station in SoCal (Long Beach, Pomona and Ontario). Every now and then it would drop below 75% so the mixture can be way off sometimes. I know some states in the East coast have crazy mixtures from day to day.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
It would be a good thing to test the content of the gas stations you use every now and then just to get a baseline of what is in there. I have an ethanol content gauge in my Evo and it has never passed 80% using 3 different gas station in SoCal (Long Beach, Pomona and Ontario). Every now and then it would drop below 75% so the mixture can be way off sometimes. I know some states in the East coast have crazy mixtures from day to day.
That's ideal, but I would hope that tuners are calibrating in such a way that leaves room for the fluctuations in ethanol percentage throughout the year.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I simply use their recommendation of 3 gallons of E85 and fill the rest with Premium (usually from Shell or Chevron). Seems to work well and calculations are always roughly E30 but you are right in the sense that you really need a tester to confirm for sure. Like Hijinx mentioned, I'm almost certain that Stratified and other tuners allow some leniency with the ethanol percentages.

Thanks for the chart! Does the OEM tune adapt for E30 automatically or only up to 93 octane? Thanks.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Especially if you're like me, and there's only one E85 station withing 30-40 miles.
^^^THIS I find hard to believe anywhere within the midwest, but I have heard on the ethanol locator sites that the amount of E85 offering stations has actually dropped there in recent years. [:(]

Anyway, THANKS for the calculations/equations, and also THANK YOU Alex for that chart!! [twothumb]

I guess I'm pretty lucky... I have one 3 miles from me and another two on my way to work. [driving]

I just purchased an e30 flash tune from Stratified and I am currently running a 93 octane Stratified Flash Tune.

When is the optimal time to switch map slots? Should I switch to the e30 tune immediately after filling up my tank with the proper e30 mixture? Or should I drive around for a few miles before switching maps?

Is it safer to run e30 fuel on a 93 octane tune, or 93 octane fuel (e10) on the e30 tune?

AzNightmare

I just purchased an e30 flash tune from Stratified and I am currently running a 93 octane Stratified Flash Tune.

When is the optimal time to switch map slots? Should I switch to the e30 tune immediately after filling up my tank with the proper e30 mixture? Or should I drive around for a few miles before switching maps?

Is it safer to run e30 fuel on a 93 octane tune, or 93 octane fuel (e10) on the e30 tune?
Bump... Any experts have answers to these questions?? :)

Do not run 93 on a e30 tune. After filling up with e30 you can switch to your e30 map. You can run e30 on a 93 tune, but do not recommend running 93 on a e30 tune the e30 map is too aggressive for 93 octane.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Do not run 93 on a e30 tune. After filling up with e30 you can switch to your e30 map. You can run e30 on a 93 tune, but do not recommend running 93 on a e30 tune the e30 map is too aggressive for 93 octane.
Are there any apparent (or even slight) dangers at all, to running E25/E30 on a 93 E10 tune (very lean running, etc.)?? [dunno]

I run close to E30 on the OTS 91 stage 3 map. My car is much happier with a couple gallons of ethanol added vs top tier 91 e-free only. Ignition timing, knock count, and OAR all improve with E85 added to a full tank of 91.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I run close to E30 on the OTS 91 stage 3 map. My car is much happier with a couple gallons of ethanol added vs top tier 91 e-free only. Ignition timing, knock count, and OAR all improve with E85 added to a full tank of 91.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
THANKS for that response! [twothumb]

OP
Alex@Stratified
Thread Starter #16
The more dangerous thing would be to run 91 fuel on an E30 tune as there would be a lot of knock. However adding 1-2 gallons of E85 to a pump gas tune is not going to hurt the car or motor. The O2 sensor dynamically adjusts your air-fuel ratios at all times.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The more dangerous thing would be to run 91 fuel on an E30 tune as there would be a lot of knock. However adding 1-2 gallons of E85 to a pump gas tune is not going to hurt the car or motor. The O2 sensor dynamically adjusts your air-fuel ratios at all times.
THANK YOU Alex! [thumb]

I will be ordering an E30 tune from you in the near future (once I get the cp-e IC and Mountune charge pipe kit installed), to go along with the 93 E10 one I already bought from you. ;)

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
THANK YOU Alex! [thumb]

I will be ordering an E30 tune from you in the near future (once I get the cp-e IC and Mountune charge pipe kit installed), to go along with the 93 E10 one I already bought from you. ;)
What are you waiting for? Get that installed!!!! ;)