Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Raindog's Sometimes Things Get out of Hand Build

I purchased this car with the thought of simply lowering, changing the wheels and adding a bit of power.

I picked up a Cobb stage one kit, installed the RMM, filter and loaded the tune. An impressive upgrade over stock.

Next on the agenda, I picked up a set of vogtland springs and XXR 527's.

The first snag came with the springs, they made contact with the strut towers so they were scrapped in favor of a Bilstein B14 kit. A lesson learned, should have taken the hit and bought them to begin with.

The Bilsteins transformed the handling, gone was the bounciness and mid corner imperfections are a breeze. Definitely worth the money.

It still wasn't enough so today instead of doing the logical thing and progressing to an intercooler and stage two I kind of ordered a GTX450R kit. Reason dictates that I would need a race intercooler and crash bar, so yeah, did that.

That big turbo needs feeding so I added a stratified auxiliary fuel system. Might as well add a guardian angel if we're going there, check.

Going to be difficult to hook so might as well add a quaife LSD. Checked with my transmission tech, he quoted $350 for install, that sounds reasonable. So yeah, ordered that as well.

Received my redline leather shift boot a while back and since I will have to pull the center console to install it anyway, I should address the shifter. Boomba short shifter package seemed to fit the bill, so I ordered that.

This is how things get out of hand and I have quite a bit of work cut out for me in the coming weeks. I have a week of vacation left that I need to take before the end of the year, I know what I'll be doing with it.

Well I think you did some very silly things...and I am jealous. I'm doing almost the same but no turbo or aux fuel. Well done sir, nicely played.

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #3
You are likely correct. On the positive note, I've found a station a scant forty-five minutes from home that sells E85.

While it's not ideal, it does mean that I can load up around twenty gallons at a time and mix for E40.

And that's what we call turning a frown upside down and hopefully banishing the need to run a methanol system.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #7
Seems like an interesting winter project, I've already ordered another short block, we might just have to see how far we can stretch a 1.6. Katie bar the door.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Seems like an interesting winter project, I've already ordered another short block, we might just have to see how far we can stretch a 1.6. Katie bar the door.
We found 36psi, MS109 and WOT 1/2 mile runs to be the absolute limit. Guesstimate was 430-450whp on the stock block since it went while racing. I don't know if you saw the carnage, but peep it.

Melted, err...disintegrated, some of the piston head, and warped the cylinder. You can very reliable and fast at 380whp on a stock block.

On to a built block, we're halted by the fuel system once again. There's a few strikes here against us. The first is that we absolutely need port injection at these power levels. In fact, of you haven't purchased the aux fuel yet, wait. Strat IS working on a port solution that should have a more optimal spray than Boombas. Anyway, the reasoning is balancing fuel that enters each cylinder. Cylinder 3 definitely gets the least, and as we're trying to make more and more power the problem becomes exacerbated.

The next strike is the LPFP/in tank pump. Fuel delivery requirements obviously go way up, especially while running E85. So, the in tank needs to be upgraded. Is it a PnP? Or will we need custom work done? Don't know yet.

What about the HPFP? Don't know. I know there's an option in the pipeline. I think the drivetrain will be the next target in sights before this point.

Some Guy On The Internet

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #9
That's quite a squeeze but half mile runs will definitely find a weak point. Did you have any cylinder head damage?

I don't have plans to run straight e85 but were I to, injector flow and the high pressure pump would be my immediate worry.

I'll make do and if I wreck a bottom end, no worries.

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #10
Port injection would be nice.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
That's quite a squeeze but half mile runs will definitely find a weak point. Did you have any cylinder head damage?

I don't have plans to run straight e85 but were I to, injector flow and the high pressure pump would be my immediate worry.

I'll make do and if I wreck a bottom end, no worries.

With port injection, I imagine straight E85 wouldn't be too much of a problem. But... I suspect we'd lose some of the goodness of DI, but who knows until we get there. Anyway, there was no head damage.

Some Guy On The Internet

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Going to be difficult to hook so might as well add a quaife LSD. Checked with my transmission tech, he quoted $350 for install, that sounds reasonable. So yeah, ordered that as well.
That quote is INSANELY inexpensive! [cool]

Around here most are quoting 5 to 6 times that price for the diff install!! [crazyeye]

It would pay for me to drive down there, and stay in hotel during the install, and STILL spend a lot less than getting it done anywhere locally. [mad]

KKaWing

That quote is INSANELY inexpensive! [cool]

Around here most are quoting 5 to 6 times that price for the diff install!! [crazyeye]

It would pay for me to drive down there, and stay in hotel during the install, and STILL spend a lot less than getting it done anywhere locally. [mad]
^ x2, At current conversion it's just under $600 here, but then big city prices.

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #14
One of the perks of working at a Ford dealer. The estimate was ten hours and employee rate is $35. We have a really good transmission tech, I've seen him r&r a focus tranny in just under two hours and I've never seen a comeback.

One of the perks of working at a Ford dealer. The estimate was ten hours and employee rate is $35. We have a really good transmission tech, I've seen him r&r a focus tranny in just under two hours and I've never seen a comeback.

Think I'd go down there if and when it's time for mine. I like knowing that a Ford service Tech is that good. And if anything happens or is wrong Ford at least that dealer would have to deal with it. So awesome

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #17
A good dealer will always back up their work, there is leverage in surveys. That said, I've been a Ford parts counterman for just over twenty years. I've seen the best and the worst when it comes to technicians, always do your due diligence, a well surveyed dealership will have high scores and want to keep it that way, they will not suffer a poor tech.

A good dealer will always back up their work, there is leverage in surveys. That said, I've been a Ford parts counterman for just over twenty years. I've seen the best and the worst when it comes to technicians, always do your due diligence, a well surveyed dealership will have high scores and want to keep it that way, they will not suffer a poor tech.

Ok. Can you help me or elaborate a little on how to leverage the surveys?

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #19
Just ordered the ethanol gauge kit from DHM as well.

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #20
Ok. Can you help me or elaborate a little on how to leverage the surveys?
Surveys are sent out after any service work has been done. Advisors and service managers are dependent on these surveys, they have a huge effect upon dealer rating as a whole as well.

Basically what this boils down to is that if you have your LSD installed and it makes noise or does anything that it shouldn't, your dealer will likely make it good even if it is on their dime. Whereas an independent would likely just tell you to get fucked.

At least that is my experience.

Ford Community Posts