Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Will the taillights from an older fiesta work on 2016 FiST?

DangerMouse

From what I can gather, they will physically fit, but Idk if they will work. Will I need the wiring harness and will it plug right in and work, or can I use the same bulbs and harness on the car?

I haven't found anyone else that has gone to the older style taillight either.

I am not a fan of the taillights on my st, they are too busy looking and stick out.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can share.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #4
Do you think they are plug and play? Guess it wouldn't be the end of the world, I'm sure I could figure out the wiring if need be.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #5
Which year are you looking at as the replacement?
Looks like 2011-2013 from what I can tell. I think 2014 they started going to the ones we have now. I know they will bolt up, just don't know 100% if they will be plug and play.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Do you think they are plug and play? Guess it wouldn't be the end of the world, I'm sure I could figure out the wiring if need be.
If you buy it from eBay it looks like most will include the wiring too. It does look like plug and play.

brbauer2

2011-13 Left & Right

THIS PART ALSO FITS:
FORD FIESTA
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6L L4 - Gas
2013 Ford Fiesta S 1.6L L4 - Gas
2013 Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.6L L4 - Gas
2012 Ford Fiesta SES 1.6L L4 - Gas
2012 Ford Fiesta S 1.6L L4 - Gas
2012 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6L L4 - Gas
2011 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6L L4 - Gas
2011 Ford Fiesta SES 1.6L L4 - Gas
From that I would have to say no....but [MENTION=5890]Steve@Tasca[/MENTION] should be able to answer better than we can.

Looking at the 2016 lights makes it even harder. There must have been a change halfway through production of the 2015 models that cause a part number difference. So definitely talk with Steve to nail it down unless you can get your hands on a cheap set that may not function.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
2011-13 Left & Right

From that I would have to say no....but [MENTION=5890]Steve@Tasca[/MENTION] should be able to answer better than we can.

Looking at the 2016 lights makes it even harder. There must have been a change halfway through production of the 2015 models that cause a part number difference. So definitely talk with Steve to nail it down unless you can get your hands on a cheap set that may not function.
St wasn't until 2014 though

Steve@Tasca

Vendor
I honestly don't know, part number changes can be for a number of reasons. Back in the Mk1 Focus days there was a build date split on hatchback tails and the only difference was one had a red plastic housing and the other had a black plastic housing. Other than the color of the housing behind the lens they were identical.

I do know the small wiring harness that's included with the lamps is different as are the bulbs used between the years on the Fiesta.

-Steve

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #11
I honestly don't know, part number changes can be for a number of reasons. Back in the Mk1 Focus days there was a build date split on hatchback tails and the only difference was one had a red plastic housing and the other had a black plastic housing. Other than the color of the housing behind the lens they were identical.

I do know the small wiring harness that's included with the lamps is different as are the bulbs used between the years on the Fiesta.

-Steve

Thank you for chiming in. I did fund that the bulbs for the reverse light are different but the other two are the same. The electrical plug looks the same but the pin order may be different.

I know people have used non st fiesta led taillights with success, I'm thinking it can't be that different or difficult.

If I can find a decent set for a good price, I have to try it.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #12
Update.

Found a cheap tail light on eBay. The harness plug is the same. It didn't work just by plugging it in.

I rearranged the pins on the plug to the older harness to match the locations of the pins on the new one. It sort of worked.

The turn signal works fine, the reverse light doesn't work at all, bulb looks good but...

The brake light doesn't work. It comes on with the headlights but doesn't flash when you press the brake pedal.

Overall it was a fun experiment, really wish I could of got it to work. Seeing the older tail light on the car makes me want them even more. They just look so much cleaner and less busy.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #13
I checked again and the brake light does work, until you turn the headlights on, then it is just on. I was working on this alone so I had to set up my phone to record the tail light while I was in the car. The bulbs are used that came with the tail light, I'm already invested this much, so I will get new bulbs and see if that fixes it. If not then at least I know I gave it my best.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #14
OK I can't stop something once I get started.

Reverse light works, bulb was bad after all.
Turn Signal works.
Brake light works with headlights off. With headlights on, it looks like it is in brake mode, as in already as bright as it gets.
It's the same bulb so I am unsure why it's acting like it's in brake mode when the headlights are on. It doesn't flash or do anything when you press the brake. Stays constant.

So close.

brbauer2

If there is a connector just to that 'bulb' try turning it 180?, could just be a polarity problem.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #16
Can't Do that but I did swap the pins on the connector plug with the wires for the brake light bulb, does the same thing I hope.

I don't have a garage and it's been raining so I'll have to wait til tomorrow to try it, I am pretty optimistic this is it.

If it works I am going to order a pair of brand new tail lights. The used one was cheap for a reason.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #17
Success! They work prefect. I'll post pics later of the pin order of anyone else wants to do this.

Now I need a brand new set.

Well done! I much prefer the older style to ours. I pass a fiesta almost every day and wonder if they would trade me...

I'm in to see the pin out changes. Thanks for pioneering this for us!

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #19
Thanks! If I was better with electrical crap I would have been done much quicker. I just got home from borrowing a garage to install my gfb dv, boy that was fun...Hopefully worth it.

I'll get pics in a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks! If I was bettered with electrical crap I would have been done much quicker. I just got home from borrowing a garage to install my gfb dv, boy that was fun...Hopefully worth it.

I'll get pics in a bit.
My gfb dv just came yesterday. Any tips?

Sent from my Spaceship