Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Probably a really dumb question....

I bought my FiST about two weeks ago. I hit the 500 mile mark and as I have read I went to have my oil changed. The place I went allowed me to bring all the stuff for a "customer provided" oil change. Well long story short I got home and found my motorcraft oil and filter in my trunk. They used bulk Quaker state oil and a fram filter. Is that going to be an issue since I'm going to be changing it again in another 500 miles...? Just found out they used conventional oil as well!!!

Kazz

I don't think it's an issue if you're going to change it in another 500 miles. However, I'd look at the receipt to see what they charged you for. Sometimes labor is up-charged to cover for the fact that you aren't buying their oil & filter.

I get being pissed and disappointed. If it's really riling you, call and ask for the manager. They should do it the way you wanted at a very, very reduced cost (for free in my opinion).

OP
R
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Kazz! Just caught me off guard a little... I know these FiST's aren't luxury vehicles, but its the first "new" car I've ever bought and I don't want to screw it up in the beginning...

I would just drain it and do it yourself, an oil change is super easy. Plus with this being your first new car, you should try to learn the ins and outs of it, and it will help you gain knowledge about everything.

That seems unacceptable. You're being very responsible by getting your oil changed early and they're kind of screwing your plan up, IMO. I'd definitely contact a manager and get the fluids you want in your new car.

Also, if you have access to a garage, you might want to look into changing your own oil. The Fiesta is easy and only takes a few tools, plus you'll have the peace of mind knowing you have the correct oil and you'll save money. There aren't too many places I trust to put a wrench to my vehicle.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Motorcraft oil you were supplying is only a small step up from fully conventional oil anyway (unless you somehow found the FULL synthetic Motorcraft somewhere? [dunno]), AND your engine is still breaking in/'seating' as well, so, no harm, no foul (UNLESS, like Kazz above said, they charged you EXTRA for the service).

The filter (yes, even the 'Orange Can Of Death'!), should be fine for 500 miles, and the top of the line Frams (the ULTRA series) are actually one of the BEST filters out there right now, although I am sure they used one of the lower models (probably the OCOD mentioned above) on your change. [:(]

But yes, IF it bothers you enough, and your pissed off enough about it, go there and DEMAND them to install what you requested FOR FREE!!!

As others have said, THIS is WHY I do my OWN oil changes, and anything else I am capable of doing for this car.
But I DO realize that NOT everyone has facilities to do this, or is even allowed to do automotive work on their own property due to HOA rules (even IF they possess the tools/skills), and it is either go to a quick change place, or repair shop, or don't get it done at all. [wink]

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
That would bother me even though it's only for 500 miles. You're entitled to have it done the way that you expected. As said above, the cheap Frams are really bad. I've been told by mechanics and parts guys I trust that the OEM Motorcraft filters are quite good. After I had my break-in oil change (free at the dealer) I looked under mine to be sure that it had the correct FL 910S filter, and checked the work order to be sure the right 5w-20 oil was used.
As to the oil, I would want to be sure that it was the correct viscosity. That would be my concern, more than it being bulk Quaker State for that short time.
You've bought the car new, why not make sure everything's right from the start. I would make them redo it with your oil and filter.

OP
R
Thread Starter #8
I totally agree with everything y'all have said! And it does bother me and normally I would have made them change it out right then and there but I had to get home for my daughters birthday party... So in the morning I will be going to the parts shop and picking up everything I need and just going to do the oil change myself. On a side note how cool is this FiST community!