Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

all-season suggestions

TUX15ST

Kumho Ecsta 4X II in 205/40x17. You'll be glad you did.
I have these myself and im pretty happy with them especially considering they only cost me roughly $250 for all four after the mail rebate. great in wet and dry and even went through a few inches of snow without any issues so far

JasonHaven

Been happy with my BFG Comp 2 A/Ss - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A/S

I have the benefit of taking public transport or working from home on heavy snow days though, so they only get driven in an inch or two. No opinions on heavier snow events. Good grip in the dry and wet, no problems with cold, and although a little slippery in snow (as are any tire really), I haven't had any real control issues.

OP
D
Thread Starter #24
Thanks for the input everyone!!!
I'm still clear as mud on which set I'll go with. Hahaha

Zormecteon

Sooo I was down in Portland today. All the streets are still covered in snow, about an inch thick. Everywhere. I thought the main routes would be clear by now, as it's been days since it snowed, but no... Anyway, my first test of the Pilot Sport A3s in snow and they did just fine. I was able to go, stop and turn with no drama.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Sooo I was down in Portland today. All the streets are still covered in snow, about an inch thick. Everywhere. I thought the main routes would be clear by now, as it's been days since it snowed, but no... Anyway, my first test of the Pilot Sport A3s in snow and they did just fine. I was able to go, stop and turn with no drama.
Good to know. Thanks! [thumb]

Did you just leave full ESC on, or did you use just the Sport mode TC, or even everything off for this venture on the white stuff?

Zormecteon

I tried Sport mode going into Portland, and just left it alone coming out. I was cautious as there was much traffic around so noticed no difference between the two. Would be fun to try in an empty lot. My tendency is to use Sport Mode at all times, if just to save the rear brakes.

Interestingly, I recently read an article that said almost everyone should just leave that stuff (they were talking about the Corvette and other HIGH performance cars) ON. They said that it will save your stoopid ass, as you only think you're better than it is, you're NOT, especially on the track. It really is only the most skilled drivers that can out perform modern car control systems.

That said, I still turn mine down, (not off), as it's hard to four wheel drift with it on. .. (left foot braking)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Yes, IF, and ONLY if it is bone DRY out, I turn the WHOLE ESC/TC system off, for the same reason you've given (to save ALL of the brakes a little). [wink]

FistSt215

I have general g max and their pretty decent 2-3 inches of snow . I only spin out when I accelerate too fast but when you take your time on take off it's pretty good .

I also got the General GMax tires. It changes so much here, and I am so busy day to day I don't want to swap tires for maybe a few days that I will actually need real snows. It was last minute, and they were the only option besides some cheap no-name tires. So far, no snow. But I love them in cold, and rain.

I can't really comment about snow since I'm in TX but I am pretty OCD when it comes to tires. I've used OEM's (summer), Cooper Rs3-A's, and Falken Ziex 950 on the car so far and the RS3-A's are freaking awesome tire! So much so that I'm putting them on my new wheels today and never looking back. I had two sets of Michelin PS AS tire on my R32 VW in 17 and 18 and I was not that impressed?!? They were loud and I didn't think they were very comfortable. I will add that they had great wet and dry grip but that's about it. I also had Conti DWS and those things tramlined and were very squishy. Almost to the point of making the car feel unsafe at high speeds. I'm telling you, the RS3-A's do "a lot" of things right. Comfort, quiet, and are grippy in dry and wet. I really, really like them on this car.

Just my two cents for what it's worth. Oh, and those Ziex's are TERRIBLE in my opinion. Squirmy, loud, hard as a rock.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I don't know if this has changed, or if Falken has since taken steps to correct it, but that WHOLE Ziex all season line up had HORRID problems with bubbling side walls from even minor impacts with potholes, or other road hazards. [:(]

I will consider the Coopers, along with the Neo Gens, for my factory wheels ('intermediate' setup) when my current PS AS3s wear out. ;)

^^^I don't know if this has changed, or if Falken has since taken steps to correct it, but that WHOLE Ziex all season line up had HORRID problems with bubbling side walls from even minor impacts with potholes, or other road hazards. [:(]

I will consider the Coopers, along with the Neo Gens, for my factory wheels ('intermediate' setup) when my current PS AS3s wear out. ;)
Those Ziex 950-AS's are HORRIBLE! Those are going on Craigslist. Hell, I may have to give them away?!?

: )

Zissou

I had Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my old Mini Cooper S and liked them. They handled 2" of snow like a champ. Never got to test them in any deeper in Richmond haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF you are the very least concerned about snow/slush/ice performance (even shallow depths), but want probably the greatest grip in cold DRY winter weather (in an 'all-season') the Neo Gens look like the best bet.

IF the exact opposite is true, then the Conti DWSes, or maybe the Sport Comp 2 All Seasons are probably some of the best.

I have not had the factory Pilot Sport AS/3s out in ANY snow yet (not even a dusting to 1/2") to be able to give an opinion on them in those conditions yet.
They ARE very good, and decently sticky (laterally), in the COLD (even down to 10*F so far) DRY weather though.
Hello Im down the road from you in western NJ. Good comments. Pretty much my conclusions as well. Had all of these except for Neogens and AS3+. Trying to decide between Neogens and AS3+. Comps don't come in the size I want but I have them on another car. Good direct feel, on center ect... Not crazy about Michelins. Contis are vague and mushy. Had the Pilot SS on my SVT Focus, A008's and Federal 595 liked better. Leaning towards the Gens in a 215/40/17. Looks like a good contact patch. My magnetic Fist has been shipped ! Week or two and away I go. Tons of upgrades waiting including Vt330R turbo.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Hello Im down the road from you in western NJ. Good comments. Pretty much my conclusions as well. Had all of these except for Neogens and AS3+. Trying to decide between Neogens and AS3+. Comps don't come in the size I want but I have them on another car. Good direct feel, on center ect... Not crazy about Michelins. Contis are vague and mushy. Had the Pilot SS on my SVT Focus, A008's and Federal 595 liked better. Leaning towards the Gens in a 215/40/17. Looks like a good contact patch. My magnetic Fist has been shipped ! Week or two and away I go. Tons of upgrades waiting including Vt330R turbo.
When did you order it?

It took Ford over 5 months to get mine to me on an order build. [mad]

Jerickson88

I have Federal Formoza FD2’s and they have been fantastic for the last 1,500 miles. I am on stock suspension and wheels with a 215/40-17.

Smoother and quieter than the Bridgestones were. Maybe the handling isn’t the same but I was prepared for it. I’ll buy again when they are toast.

If funds permit, I was considering a set of the Cooper RS-3A for aftermarket wheels, otherwise I’d just swap the federals over.

I have Federal Formoza FD2’s and they have been fantastic for the last 1,500 miles. I am on stock suspension and wheels with a 215/40-17.

Smoother and quieter than the Bridgestones were. Maybe the handling isn’t the same but I was prepared for it. I’ll buy again when they are toast.

If funds permit, I was considering a set of the Cooper RS-3A for aftermarket wheels, otherwise I’d just swap the federals over.
I wanted the G1's but not available in 40 series on tire rack. Have them on my wifes outback and my SVT Focus. Nice overall but a little to "polite".
Quite though. I'll look at the Formozas for kicks.