Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Poll: How many have blown a FiST engine?

How many have blown a FiST engine?

• Yes, I have blown my engine

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • No, I haven't blown my engine...yet

Votes: 313 94.6%

• Total voters

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
For those that blew your motors on stock turbo, I wonder if there might have been a common component involved in these engines that failed?

One of the monitors that I have started to focus in on since adding the X37 is my recorded AFR's at WOT 2500 through redline. If the engine is ran too lean along with a high recorded knock count, then you risk bending a rod or other damage.

I didn't notice lean conditions until I installed a 2JR w/out also properly adjusting my tune. This was dumb on my part, and I am lucky that that I didn't damage my engine. I only ran it like that once, but the knock and lean AFR's that I recorded were enough to have caused damage. Thank you car gods, and if I would I have continued driving it like that who knows how long it would have lasted?

PS: Knowing what to monitor (as well as having a basic understanding of what your readings mean) and checking your car periodically via the Cobb AP is a tremendous help to protecting the long term enjoyment of your car.
You are def not the first person to see this happen. A friend of mine did this identical situation and his car is now at DHM getting an engine. Original cyborg turbo tuned. Added the 2J race intake without updating the tune. And before he knew what happened, it needed a piston.

So don't think your alone.

Also highlights the POWA of the 2J race intake, lol

Rhinopolis

You are def not the first person to see this happen. A friend of mine did this identical situation and his car is now at DHM getting an engine. Original cyborg turbo tuned. Added the 2J race intake without updating the tune. And before he knew what happened, it needed a piston.

So don't think your alone.

Also highlights the POWA of the 2J race intake, lol
You might not remember, and you were the one who warned me about that when I said in another post that I had added the 2JR to my setup. Thanks for the accurate warning, and now I am making others aware as well [twothumb]

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Poll: How many have had a blown motor?

Blown engine here Aug 2015

Made 425whp and melted cylinder 3 piston.
Same as this. Except mine was July 2016 and top of the cylinder was melted.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
You might not remember, and you were the one who warned me about that when I said in another post that I had added the 2JR to my setup. Thanks for the accurate warning, and now I am making others aware as well [twothumb]
Sorry man, I talk to a zillion people :)
Glad I was good for something :)

26k miles with ~25k miles on Cobb stage 3 tune with self-tweaks for ~28psi. Run hard on the street, autocross (SCCA Solo2) to 2 overall class wins, and lots of WFO miles between Virginia and Oklahoma. I understand mechanicals and electronics (I hope so, it's my job), so I've had no mechanical issues and all maintenance is performed by me. It's a great car for having maximum fun for little cash.

Engine/trans/chassis is bulletproof unless you're firing stupid bullets. There is nothing that stupid can't break...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Following this thread as I am 27k miles into ownership and very interested what is the main reason our little engines decide to blow.
Reason = Modified

Has there been any stories of blown motors with stock turbo?
Yes, when modified.

Even 100% stock it is not impossible to blow an engine *BUT* it will likely take quite a bit of time of abusive redlining at a standstill in an attempt to overwhelm the cooling systems and overheat the drivetrain.

grnmachine02

Yes.
45,500 miles Stock turbo tuned on e30 by Tune + till 44,000 miles swapped in x37 on 91 and e30 tuned by Tune+ a week before I started tuning on 100 octane with DHM my engine had a misfire and wrench thrown. Turned car off started back up light went away and no more misfires (this should have been my first clue) started tuning with DHM and on the third revision the engine was toast. I don't blame any tuner but more the abuse that I put my engine through with all the tracking and mountain runs. Cracked cylinder three piston with making a Max of 280hp on e30 with tune + the DHM tune never got a chance to get above 260hp
Just out of curiosity, were there any codes associated with the misfires and wrench light? I only ask because I have also gotten the wrench light, and limp mode, but a etc of p061b, which appears to involve the way the car measures torque. Clear the light and all is well. I just want to make sure I don't have a more serious issue than something ECM related.

Pete

Just out of curiosity, were there any codes associated with the misfires and wrench light? I only ask because I have also gotten the wrench light, and limp mode, but a etc of p061b, which appears to involve the way the car measures torque. Clear the light and all is well. I just want to make sure I don't have a more serious issue than something ECM related.
mine never went into limp mode but there was a drastic reduction in power. Also resetting my ecu didn't make my problem go away. There was a misfire code for cylinder three and a misfire code upon start up.

grnmachine02

mine never went into limp mode but there was a drastic reduction in power. Also resetting my ecu didn't make my problem go away. There was a misfire code for cylinder three and a misfire code upon start up.
Thanks, Pete. Makes me feel a bit less nervous.

TUX15ST

Ive gotten a random wrench light/limp mode with my dhm tune during a revision but it was only for too much boost at part throttle

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Some seem to have an impression that you shouldn't blow an engine if you haven't swapped out any engine parts.

Programming vs part-swapping, it is easier to blow an engine via programming.

Among parameters that could be programmatically tweaked:
  • Fuel volume (injection pulse width)
  • Fuel injection timing
  • Spark timing
  • Valve timing
  • Boost engagement
  • Boost pressures

Modifying parameters without an engineering perspective may easily result with engine damage.

It may be useful to note how many of the people that blew up their engines track their cars (Not-AutoX). It's no secret that heat is a problem in these cars especially when modded/or with a quick driver. That could be the culprit to some of the problems here, along with the obvious potential tuning issues.

Pete

It may be useful to note how many of the people that blew up their engines track their cars (Not-AutoX). It's no secret that heat is a problem in these cars especially when modded/or with a quick driver. That could be the culprit to some of the problems here, along with the obvious potential tuning issues.
Yeah I blame the heat build up of the track abuse I gave my old engine :)

Yeah I blame the heat build up of the track abuse I gave my old engine :)
Didn't you have an aftermarket radiator in your car? I'm trying to look into everything I can to increase the longevity of the engine...besides avoiding the track [driving]
My car really needs to last two more track seasons as you can't ship a car from Germany unless it has it's original engine. What did you think about aftermarket cooling? Any data?

Pete

Didn't you have an aftermarket radiator in your car? I'm trying to look into everything I can to increase the longevity of the engine...besides avoiding the track [driving]
My car really needs to last two more track seasons as you can't ship a car from Germany unless it has it's original engine. What did you think about aftermarket cooling? Any data?
Yes I did put the mishimoto radiator in but that was done probably a bit too late. The radiator paired with the thermostat keeps our engines cool no matter what.