Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Poll: How many have blown a FiST engine?

How many have blown a FiST engine?

• Yes, I have blown my engine

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • No, I haven't blown my engine...yet

Votes: 313 94.6%

• Total voters
COOL! Way to rip one up, really, very cool blown engine!

Still on stock internals or built?

Boost level, WHP, miles on engine, etc???

We know you have been having a lot of fun with high power for quite some time now so blowing an engine kind of has to be expected eventually:)
That was estimated 340whp, engine had between 60k and 70k miles, it came out of another member's car when they crashed it. Was about 26psi when it happened. Odd thing is when it let go I was 1/4 throttle pulling out of the parking lot at work.

Completely stock internals.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
That was estimated 340whp, engine had between 60k and 70k miles, it came out of another member's car when they crashed it. Was about 26psi when it happened. Odd thing is when it let go I was 1/4 throttle pulling out of the parking lot at work.

Bad tune?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Odd but it might of been just about to go from the last full throttle run and finally snapped.

Not likely a bad tune which I am a bit to familiar with having two tuners blow up engines for me, one on the dyno and one the day after the dyno when I paid $1100 for the tune which is insane and put 5 holes in the block the next day on track, fun going off on fire at over 100 MPH....

Se7eN

Had a friend blow the engine on his 2017, basicly hybrid turbo running Meth. Forgot to look at the Meth activating while running someone and it wasn't working at all. A couple of days later car started smoking a bit, so he swapped back the stock turbo and about a day or 2 later car started to rattle and it went, made a little window in the block similar to the one you posted but alot smaller. It was replaced under warranty luckly.

Mine just blew.... 2016 44k miles. Cyl 4/rod where unhappy in the block so they left. fist.jpg

Back in 1972 I was working for Sohio with my older brother. Had a VW bus come in that the owner stated had lost power on the Ohio Turnpike, it wouldn't go any faster that 33 mph. Open up the rear engine cover panel, stuck my head in and found the cause. Two cylinders had holes thru the crankcase each side of the parting line for the block. What really had me shaking my head is that the darned thing was still running smoothly on two cylinders. I actually drove in onto the lift.

Then my brother got on the phone and located a rebuilt van motor ready to go in. Took us 3 hours to do the swap with at least 1/2 hour struggling to get the engine and clutch onto the input shaft for the tranny. Pilot shafts for lining up clutches back then were usually junk unless you spent the big dollars to buy the factory tool. The real time sucker was getting all the cooling covers off the blown engine, the screws that hold these covers in place are slotted and usually rust in place.

BTW, the most likely cause was a siezed rod end bearing that snapped the rod. Air cooled VW motors only carried 2.5 quarts of oil and when you let it get too low they had a distinct tendency to seize at the rod ends.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Don't you all just love it ...The post.....Then no response. [drummer]
Yup.
The real fix for the early model with the crappy cylinder head would be replacing it with the updated head. That would have been very expensive, though.
Just get one that wasn't recalled. '16 and later are solid cars.