Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need mod/tune advice

G3rm

Trying to get a tune from Cobb. No previous mods, but getting an performance intercooler. Do I need a downpipe before the tune as well?

I recommend you buying your access port from mountune or stratified, or dead hook. Some will give you a custom tune with it or discounted tune. Also Consider a intercooler before getting a tune so you don't have to retune your car after.

I bought a mishi intercooler but if I could do it again look into buying a depo. A lot cheaper than every other intercooler and I've heard nothing but good reviews about them.

No down pipe required for tuning

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Ap from Stratified
Depo goodies
That would be a great startup and not much $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LILIKE16ST

I HIGHLY recommend the depo racing intercooler it's only 329.99 shipped and it is an unbeatable value. It's almost exactly like a Cobb in every aspect without the Cobb logos and its half the price. I have the livernois motorsports tune and it's great. I plan to switch o an accessport in the future so I can get an e30 protune. I'd recommend getting an accessport from one of the vendor s who offer free tunes with it and get the depo front mount that would be the best way to spend 800 bucks or so imo

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
I HIGHLY recommend the depo racing intercooler it's only 329.99 shipped and it is an unbeatable value. It's almost exactly like a Cobb in every aspect without the Cobb logos and its half the price. I have the livernois motorsports tune and it's great. I plan to switch o an accessport in the future so I can get an e30 protune. I'd recommend getting an accessport from one of the vendor s who offer free tunes with it and get the depo front mount that would be the best way to spend 800 bucks or so imo
Pro tube for e30? Seems like a waste of money. The e30 tune from stratified, hits MBT on the stock turbo. You would be wasting money on a protune imo, if running the k39.

LILIKE16ST

An e30 tune in general is what I mean I think it's pretty well proven an e30 tune can provide a decent bump in power over a 93 tune even on the stock turbo. I plan to go with an x47 down the road anyways so I'll need the accessport for some datalogged protuning for that anyways might as well make the switch now and get tuned for e30 so I can get some gains now until that comes.

LILIKE16ST

Also a protune can fine tune everything so to speak and smooth things out for better drivability and possibly a better powerband is not just for upping the peak power. I love my livernois tune it's awesome and drivability is great if I was sticking with 93 and sticking with the stock turbo for good I'd just keep it as I don't think there's much to be had going elsewhere outside of getting tuned for ethanol which is what I'm thinking

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
An e30 tune in general is what I mean I think it's pretty well proven an e30 tune can provide a decent bump in power over a 93 tune even on the stock turbo. I plan to go with an x47 down the road anyways so I'll need the accessport for some datalogged protuning for that anyways might as well make the switch now and get tuned for e30 so I can get some gains now until that comes.
Yes, but protunes are generally for full customization such as ie: drivability --extracting the most power, while being safe. What I was saying was, on the Strat e30 OTS tune you max out the stock turbo, not just make more power, hence a protune on the stock turbo would be wasting money.

LILIKE16ST

I am referring to data logging and fine tuning an e30 tune remotely not paying for a dyno tune im not sure if you misunderstoood on that just clearing that up

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Keep in mind hitting MBT doesn't negate the other benefits the fuel gives like knock resistance and cooling.
Not understanding what you're trying to say lol, E85 has a high resistance to knock (high octane).

MBT (meant best torque) on the stock turbo. What that means is that we were able to advance timing until no additional power was being made and the engine remained knock free.

From Stratified's website. ^

Not understanding what you're trying to say lol

Hitting MBT doesn't cap the performance benefit of ethanol. Better knock resistance can leave room for more boost (safely), so don't think of MBT as a hard tuning line which you should never go over. In the MK6 world, where cars hit MBT on 93, we still see lots of HP gains on E30 despite hitting MBT (mainly from boost increase). Timing isn't always everything.

Short story: I do think there is still a benefit of pro-tuning on stock turbo.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Hitting MBT doesn't cap the performance benefit of ethanol. Better knock resistance can leave room for more boost (safely), so don't think of MBT as a hard tuning line which you should never go over. In the MK6 world, where cars hit MBT on 93, we still see lots of HP gains on E30 despite hitting MBT (mainly from boost increase). Timing isn't always everything.

Short story: I do think there is still a benefit of pro-tuning on stock turbo.
Still not understanding what you're saying, we are talking about the stock turbo. Also read my edit above, right before your response. Where are you extracting powering after MBT? In conclusion, not understanding what you're saying.

Still not understanding what you're saying, we are talking about the stock turbo. Also read my edit above, right before your response. Where are you extracting powering after MBT? In conclusion, not understanding what you're saying.
MBT isn't the end of tuning.

Pro-tuning still has application on stock turbo because you can extract more power and drive-ability from AFR adjustments, VE changes, Boost changes etc.

MBT doesn't mean you can't make more power. It means additional timing increases don't make more power.

Maybe [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION] can comment on this

DHM1

1000 Post Club
MBT isn't the end of tuning.

Pro-tuning still has application on stock turbo because you can extract more power and drive-ability from AFR adjustments, VE changes, Boost changes etc.

MBT doesn't mean you can't make more power. It means additional timing increases don't make more power.

Maybe [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION] can comment on this
i dont even know where to start on this thread there is so much misinformation. ill need some time to type something up.

i dont even know where to start on this thread there is so much misinformation. ill need some time to type something up.
Show us the light, we are but humble peasants.

Really though, it be a good topic to get a lot of information on. Also whether you think it is worth it to protune/e-tune on stock turbo cars etc.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Show us the light, we are but humble peasants.

Really though, it be a good topic to get a lot of information on. Also whether you think it is worth it to protune/e-tune on stock turbo cars etc.
Agreed on the good topic for CLEAR information, obviously a protune would be the best, all I was saying was you can max out the power on the stock turbo with an e30 tune. Atleast that's what I got from reading the Strat blog