Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Who tracks their FiST?

Thanks! It was amazing to see him just a speck in my rear view and just two corners later he was up my a[colort=black]ss[/color]. Crazy fast car.
I've had similar experiences with people running F430 and 458 challenge cars and just seeing a red speck whizzing up to me on a straight. Crazy feeling

I just took my FiST to a Track Night in America last week at Carolina Motorsports Park in SC... I got a lap and half in before I got the red warning light. Ambient temp was around 84 degrees. My IAT was 103 and coolant hit 247 while the oil temp crept in to the high 250's. What a disappointment... I went to an event last August with higher temps in my 208k mile SVT focus and had no cooling issues at all. I have to say though, it was fun while it lasted. We have another Track Night that I don't want to miss on the "Roval" at Charlotte Motor Speedway at the end of next month, but it's looking like after reading and reading some more... an upgraded radiator is the only solution. I absolutely love the car, but I am pretty bitter about its laughable cooling system when it comes to aggressive driving(even on the street). Oh yeah... I'd also like to mention that the following day on my way home from work the car crept close to warning light temps. I sat in some traffic with temps around 92 or 93 and then when the traffic cleared and I was able to use the right pedal the coolant temperature hit 239.8.

I know some folks have cooling issues, but that does not seem normal (especially hitting 240 in traffic). What year is your car? Any mods or a tune?

It really is a crap shoot on the overheating issue. Mine was crippled by overheating until I went crazy and totally upgraded the cooling system. Ive run into one other ST driver at the track that had similar issues, and he just replaced the rad and said hes had no problems since. This last weekend I was at MSR Houston with a guy who was absolutely flogging his stock ST (running at least 5-6 seconds a lap faster then me) and said he never had any issues, which was blowing my mind...

When you say crippled, did your car enter limp mode or something? I was reaching 250+ oil and water temps, and was hitting my fastest lap times at Sonoma last month. I did see the red water temp icon flash on for a couple of corners but pushed through it. That might have been my fastest lap.

Talking to some guys at the track 250F almost seems normal. Not for our cars?

Woods247

2000 Post Club

Edit: I'll add some details about my car setup for track. I'm running a Cobb AP, Stratified 93 tune, Cobb IC, Cobb Drop In Filter, ITV22 plugs, CP-E catback, Super Blue brake fluid, custom brake ducting, Swift Spec-R springs, OZ Racing wheels, Falken RT615K (stock size) and most importantly the Mishimoto Radiator. I use a Schroth Quickfit Pro harness and HANS on track as well. Everything else is stock.
After adding the Mishimoto radiator I never had any issues with high temps, even at Road ATL on a hot day. However, last week I experienced high oil temps and power reduction. Prior to my last event, I flushed my Mobil1 with Castrol EL. I'm switching back to Mobil1 to see if there's improvement in oil temperature. I'd rather not install an oil cooler if I don't have too. I was constantly dealing with leaking issues with a Mishimoto oil cooler on my old car and I'm a bit hesitant to go that route again. I'm happy with the power of my Fiesta but would enjoy more pull at mid-top end. The new Mountune kit looks like it might provide exactly what I'm looking for. I never imagined I'd enjoy a FWD car on track but after learning this platform's potential, I've grown to love it.

Last edited:
My car is a 2015 with 28k miles. I was running the new v500 stage 1 OTS 93 tune from Cobb at the time, but I also attempted lapping in the 2nd session on the older stage 1 91 tune, and 3rd session with the Accessport completely uninstalled. I have a K&N intake(because it was really cheap) but my IAT's were actually surprisingly low.... to the tune of 103 or 104 with 85 being the ambient. Only other mods are fart symposer delete, Cobb lower mount, and KW coilovers. BTW this picture had to have been turn 2 on my first full lap...haha.

Are you guys monitoring your car with an accessport or another means?

I have a track day i will be attending in the near future and i have a 100% stock car that i don't want to modify for autocross reasons. I would like to know if i'm pushing it a little too hard but i don't plan on purchasing an accessport

You can use a Bluetooth OBD plug in and use the Torque Pro app on your cellphone to monitor the important stuff.
I thought that was only an android app? i have an iphone.

Is there a certain bluetooth that is best for the $?

Does anyone have an opinion on modifying this crazy restrictive stock fan shroud? It seems like there is a lot that could be eliminated to help with flow through the radiator at speed on track. Or am I wrong and just wasting time?

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #77
I just took my FiST to a Track Night in America last week at Carolina Motorsports Park in SC... I got a lap and half in before I got the red warning light. Ambient temp was around 84 degrees. My IAT was 103 and coolant hit 247 while the oil temp crept in to the high 250's. What a disappointment... I went to an event last August with higher temps in my 208k mile SVT focus and had no cooling issues at all. I have to say though, it was fun while it lasted. We have another Track Night that I don't want to miss on the "Roval" at Charlotte Motor Speedway at the end of next month, but it's looking like after reading and reading some more... an upgraded radiator is the only solution. I absolutely love the car, but I am pretty bitter about its laughable cooling system when it comes to aggressive driving(even on the street). Oh yeah... I'd also like to mention that the following day on my way home from work the car crept close to warning light temps. I sat in some traffic with temps around 92 or 93 and then when the traffic cleared and I was able to use the right pedal the coolant temperature hit 239.8.
That must have been very disappointing! I have been considering taking my FiST out to Carolina Motorsports Park too. Might have to wait until the fall. Not interested having overheating spoil all the fun!

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Does anyone have an opinion on modifying this crazy restrictive stock fan shroud? It seems like there is a lot that could be eliminated to help with flow through the radiator at speed on track. Or am I wrong and just wasting time?
I think if you're going through the trouble to pull the stock radiator you should install the Mishimoto. It makes a HUGE difference. @wooshmotorsports has the best price I've seen.

Siestarider

Our cars obviously run hotter than most of us are comfortable with, at least on track. I have never seen over 200 F on street in mine, but regularly see 240 at end of hard track session. And it drops fast, generally below 212 by the time I am in the paddock.

So my working theory is that as long as you respect the warning light, Ford engineers think you are good.

If you are novice tracker, forget AP. The only time you can look is after checking all around and on a straight.
Turn ESC all the way off.
Turn your heater on high (have a good sock on your throttle foot).
When the temp warning light comes on, check mirrors and ease off to 3/4 throttle on straights. Light goes off quickly. Work on turns full throttle, that is where the fun is anyway.

I have not seen anyone tracking report a overheat engine failure. Pete reported his blown engine was related to lots of hard tracking, but it did not blow on track.

Re: Sethgpar's question and that cool photo of our fan shrouds, I am going to cut the right side flaps out and mount a thin oil cooler there. Almost have all the stuff. Theory says I will get a better overall cooling package that way.

Several of us trackers posted years ago on making sure all the intake air goes though the heat exchangers rather than around them. Very important to keep all the high pressure up stream and low pressure downstream. I used weatherstrip tape and racing tape.

Almost forgot, I cut hood vents in where manometer testing showed highest pressure under and lowest pressure over, just about like the WRC Fiestas run them. But still messing around with vent lips to get the best pressure drop.

Sorry 'bout the ramble, apologies to the OP.

Kazz

Our cars obviously run hotter than most of us are comfortable with, at least on track. I have never seen over 200 F on street in mine, but regularly see 240 at end of hard track session. And it drops fast, generally below 212 by the time I am in the paddock.

So my working theory is that as long as you respect the warning light, Ford engineers think you are good.

If you are novice tracker, forget AP. The only time you can look is after checking all around and on a straight.
Turn ESC all the way off.
Turn your heater on high (have a good sock on your throttle foot).
When the temp warning light comes on, check mirrors and ease off to 3/4 throttle on straights. Light goes off quickly. Work on turns full throttle, that is where the fun is anyway.

I have not seen anyone tracking report a overheat engine failure. Pete reported his blown engine was related to lots of hard tracking, but it did not blow on track.

Re: Sethgpar's question and that cool photo of our fan shrouds, I am going to cut the right side flaps out and mount a thin oil cooler there. Almost have all the stuff. Theory says I will get a better overall cooling package that way.

Several of us trackers posted years ago on making sure all the intake air goes though the heat exchangers rather than around them. Very important to keep all the high pressure up stream and low pressure downstream. I used weatherstrip tape and racing tape.

Almost forgot, I cut hood vents in where manometer testing showed highest pressure under and lowest pressure over, just about like the WRC Fiestas run them. But still messing around with vent lips to get the best pressure drop.

Sorry 'bout the ramble, apologies to the OP.
Good God man, pics, PICS!