Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Who tracks their FiST?

Just curious how many of you guys track your cars on a road course (not auto-x) and found it enjoyable? Did you feel your FiST had enough power to keep you entertained or were you signaling other drivers to pass most of the time?

I think the FiST is probably more at home on an autoX circuit, but I don't have the patience for spending an entire day at an event and only having 6-8 runs that last about a minute each. Just not my thing.

I have other cars more capable on a racetrack, but prefer the cost of maintenance and expendables to run a FiST as long as it is fun. I thoroughly enjoy driving my FiST on a daily basis and is my preferred daily and hope it can be just as enjoyable on a road course.

TIA for any feedback.

Pete

Just curious how many of you guys track your cars on a road course (not auto-x) and found it enjoyable? Did you feel your FiST had enough power to keep you entertained or were you signaling other drivers to pass most of the time?

I think the FiST is probably more at home on an autoX circuit, but I don't have the patience for spending an entire day at an event and only having 6-8 runs that last about a minute each. Just not my thing.

I have other cars more capable on a racetrack, but prefer the cost of maintenance and expendables to run a FiST as long as it is fun. I thoroughly enjoy driving my FiST on a daily basis and is my preferred daily and hope it can be just as enjoyable on a road course.

TIA for any feedback.
I tracked and will be tracking my car again. I found the Fiesta on the MP215 can hold its own on a tight road course like Streets of Willow. On bigger high speed tracks like big willow depending on the group you are in you could be getting passed quite a bit. On E30 or with a bigger turbo our cars are very surprising on what they can keep up with. Myself and other members have posted some of our track day experiences and what mods we had at the time.

Ive tracked it once, and will do it again Sat/Sun. The FiST was very capable for a beginner like me, the only issue was overheating. It was sunny and 80 and it overheated like a pig. Ive since installed a Mishimoto rad and oil cooler, and installed the DH crash bar and opened up the grill. Hopefully all of that along with cooler winter temps should allow me to push it even harder. We'll see how the brakes hold up...

Siestarider

The Fist is a track natural. Smooth momentum carrier and surprising grunt out of turns. Easy to operate. Don't forget to turn ESC down or off, or pay the price in brake heat and wear.

I wonder how the authorities are going to make this much fun illegal. But as long as they do not know...

ST is a fun car, but cars like the Miata (any generation) or the FRS/86/BRZ require less modifications to be track worthy and make a more efficient use of tires/brake pads/rotors, so they're overall better and cheaper platforms to track on.

ST is great if you need 4 usable seats, 5 doors and the cargo space often.

Siestarider

Yeah, back to earth. For just tracking lots of better cars at better value. But getting point by's from some of them sure is fun.

caliboy15

I track my FiST... It's fun to pass cars that is 4x more expensive than my FiST

OP
Cerberus
Thread Starter #8
All your comments sound very encouraging. I appreciate the feedback.

I've had mine out four times now with the only issues being overheating brakes and a loose hose clamp letting the charge pipe pop off. From the factory it's set up well enough to have a good time and learn.

I can fit all the tools I need, a jack, some stands, and a spare set of wheels/tires in the back with room to spare. I'd like to see a miata or BRZ do that.

Hah yeah I showed up to a Discount Tire with 4 tires and 4 wheels for them to assemble and balance, and the guy was shocked I fit all that back there. Im still shocked how few people have had overheating issues considering mine couldnt make it two hot laps without limping...

I track the fist as well. Surprisingly even stock can keep up with those cars if you keep up the momentum. I raced the car stock on a few tracks an seen what the car is capable of. It's a fun car to drive and I will see what it can do with the mods that I've added. I will be competing in time attack with it.

Pete

I track the fist as well. Surprisingly even stock can keep up with those cars if you keep up the momentum. I raced the car stock on a few tracks an seen what the car is capable of. It's a fun car to drive and I will see what it can do with the mods that I've added. I will be competing in time attack with it.
You are also a way better driver then myself. You really know how to push the car to its true limits.

MeisterR

Vendor
Nice to see quite a few people takes their ST on the track.

It is fun, and I think it is much more enjoyable than Auto-X because you get more than 60 seconds behind the wheel in a session.
I tried a session of Auto-X, I don't think it is for me.

Maybe I will do another track day in the future.
The only down side of going to track days are the wear and tear, and you got to really start watching out for heat or else performance will deteriorate / things will break.

Enjoy it, it is great fun. :)

Jerrick

Siestarider

I've had mine out four times now with the only issues being overheating brakes and a loose hose clamp letting the charge pipe pop off. From the factory it's set up well enough to have a good time and learn.

I can fit all the tools I need, a jack, some stands, and a spare set of wheels/tires in the back with room to spare. I'd like to see a miata or BRZ do that.

Not only that, you can wear really good track tires on street (careful in wet) and I have found front WW BBK with Carbotech XP 10 work well with OEM pads on rear on both street and track. Yeah, I know XP-10 are supposed to be too aggressive for street. But work for me on both.

I have found the adjustable Meister coils to be better at softer settings on street, but OEM works very well and is plenty stiff for tracking.

In fact, at closest track I typically just show up and drive.

But tracks further away, more gear is insurance, and hauling it all with you (mine is a flat bed that easily hauls 400 lbs) is a cost-savings and convenience in every way. Plus I have actually slept in my rear bed when I foolishly went to mountains to hoon during an SEC football weekend, no rooms for hundreds of miles. Pull into WalM, sleep 7 hours and press on regardless.

Try that in your Miata.

What tracks are you guys hitting up? Like small test tracks or grand prix-sized tracks? Mazda Laguna Seca is literally just down the street from me and I've been getting an itch to go way too fast on the overpopulated and poorly maintained California roads, but I feel like a track of that size would get boring for a car that's relatively slow compared to the 911 GT3s and Corvettes I see going to track days.

Siestarider

No worries about track size, Fist will match nearly any production car in the twisties and straights are less fun anyway, so when a GT3 blasts by just wave. I have driven mine at Sebring and PBIR multiple times, but those are just closest tracks to me. I would love to be close to Laguna.

If you are just starting to track, you will be in beginner class where everyone is equal. Nothing boring about driving as quickly as the car allows. My experience has been that the car starts out way better than the driver, only with seat time will you gain the skill to safely use the car to its potential. And track is the only place you can make a mistake at speed and the consequences tend to be minor. Spins off track are dirty, in your eyes, nose, etc. But way safer than a ditch or tree.

I love it.

Yes I am practically new to cars and I'd like to be able to get the lead out so I'm not tempted to do so on the road and so I can become a more skilled driver overall. I've been daily driving a truck for a while that doesn't like to go any more than 65mph and going fast is ecstasy ever since I bought my Fiesta. It's like a whole new world has opened up to me.

If you're worried about getting blown away on-track you might try autocross first. You will be classed with similar cars and run one at a time. Amazing how fun it is and will, IMHO, teach you more vehicle dynamics than on a road course.

Butterybunz

If you're worried about getting blown away on-track you might try autocross first. You will be classed with similar cars and run one at a time. Amazing how fun it is and will, IMHO, teach you more vehicle dynamics than on a road course.
+1 to this. Autocross is the best way to get your feet wet