Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Swollen Lug Nuts

PENN

Had to replace all 16 at the dealership today for $116...

Who else had this problem?

What did you replace your Ford lug nuts with?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
This happened to me after my hernia surgery...[coolsmile]

Seriously, good post, I would like to know too. I have and like Muteki SR35's on my other car, and I think a vendor on here offered those with the wheels it was selling.

lol I googled it because I've literally never heard of such a thing. What a weird issue. For the lazy, it's when a two piece lug nut gets moisture or something between the layers and corrosion expands the outer layer, which is the bit your lug nut wrench goes over. I only saw the stock lug nuts once when I was replacing them, but I do remember them looking multi-piece.

Now I wonder why car companies would choose to use lug nuts like these.

This happened to me after my hernia surgery...[coolsmile]

Seriously, good post, I would like to know too. I have and like Muteki SR35's on my other car, and I think a vendor on here offered those with the wheels it was selling.
I've been using the Muteki SR48 which is basically just the extended length version of the SR35 from the looks of it. Plenty of great aftermarket lug nuts out there though.

DangerMouse

Ouch. I picked up some black gorilla lug nuts on amazon for $35, I need to stop being lazy and put them on.

You are not alone. I will have to replace mine this spring as I go back to my summer tires. Lugs from Tire Rack have never given me any problems. Any other recommended replacements.

DangerMouse

You are not alone. I will have to replace mine this spring as I go back to my summer tires. Lugs from Tire Rack have never given me any problems. Any other recommended replacements.

You just reminded me, I have lug nuts from tire rack on the car already. I'll throw my stock ones in the recycle bin.

I had this problem on two of my Fiestas. While I replaced the set on my ST with a new set I received gratis from an acquaintance, I also ordered several 25/32 sockets (perfect fit for my swollen nuts) online to go along with the Gorilla tools I keep in each car.

kevinatfms

Went with McGard one piece lug nuts. This has been a problem since the mid 2000's when I worked at Ford. Crappy cheap design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford and Chrysler are notorious for having these issues.

McGuard makes really good stock replacements, along with a newer company TPR(TaperPro). I've had a host of lugs in the past, and for stock-looking chromes, either of these are good.

As far as alternatives, stay away from the cheaper Chinese options(unless you want to replace them once a year). I liked my Rays lugs, but the pricetag may be a lot for some. Muteki makes a good product as well as Gorilla.
If I'm buying another set for my car currently, I'm looking into titanium stuff.... but i'm crazy like that... lol

TUX15ST

I had a fellow fist owner warn me about this same issue with his lugs and i switched mine out to mcgards for about $50 total with locks and never looked back

Had to replace all 16 at the dealership today for $116...

Who else had this problem?

What did you replace your Ford lug nuts with?
Odd question, but would you be able to try to get those lugs from the dealership and send to me? I work at Ford and one of my co-workers and I are trying to show how big of an issue these lugs are. I can pay the shipping if need be.

As for what's happening, the lugs are a two-piece design that has a stainless cap over the standard lug. As others have said, the swelling is probably caused by corrosion under the cap. Another problem that can occur is that the cap can deform under load (even just trying to remove the lugs with the provided tool in your trunk) and will no longer fit a socket.

Kazz

Are you folks that are experiencing this problem running those lug nuts in winter weather? I have a separate set of wheels, tires, and lug nuts for winter. I'm guessing that would avoid this issue?

brbauer2

Are you folks that are experiencing this problem running those lug nuts in winter weather? I have a separate set of wheels, tires, and lug nuts for winter. I'm guessing that would avoid this issue?
It will help, but not eliminate it. I stripped off the outer cover on one of the lugs on my '12 SE even before it saw it's first sub 32? day.

One piece of advice I've used in the past on my Neons(same stupid cap design) is to squirt a little wd-40 in the cap before threading the nut on the stud. DO NOT lubricate the stud! (different story for a different thread, but basically lubrication and proper torquing methods don't mix well).

Anyways, the wd-40 keeps most of the moisture from getting between the nut and the cap, and the lugs tend to a) come off easier, and b) last much longer before deforming.

There's no way to eliminate this issue with this style lug, but the wd-40 will slow the process substantially.

Just a tip.

These lug nuts are a huge problem, I work at a used car dealership, we've replaced 500+ of these in the past 6 months. PN# 611-303 from dorman is what I use from the aftermarket, they can be had for significantly less than buying from the dealer.

Personally, I just replaced mine was a set of gorilla nuts.

Didnt know this issue was so big... Before I bought my FiST I had a FoST and had no issues changing a flat with 16k miles (1 yr old) on the ODO. I can only assume they use the same type of lug nuts.