Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

NEW Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Dampers w/Mountune Sport Springs

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
It's a catch 22, because in my experience with my Miata I upgraded to the Bilstein HDs that were on the R package and the shorter travel of the Bilsteins caused my car to drop even more. That is the only reason I am considering the B6s instead.

On my Volvo 240 I used the HDs (equivalent of the B6) with lowering springs and a modified bump stop, no issues whatsoever and are still rolling around on the car 3+ years after I sold it to a friend of mine. The shocks are bullet proof.

Nice to see guys enjoying Bilsteins. Had them on an Evo with Swift Spec R springs and loved them! Toying around with getting a FiST and looking to see what all is available for them.

OP
Khill007
Thread Starter #64
Vs coilovers, I like the idea I wouldn't have to fight with leveling the car and setting perfect ride height.

On the flip side... would be nice to be able to lift the car 2mm if I were to get some scrub on certain tires.
B6's on stock springs are prob it for me...

I just wanted to also add something. I had some experience in the TJ jeep world. And after owning 3 different jeeps, I bought one with a really suspension setup. Someone lifted the jeep as much as possible, in the least correct way they could. So it was odd to me that the jeep rode the best of all jeeps. ( 7" short arm lift for you jeep people ). After some upgrades to my other TJ with the EFI 5.0L swapped into it, it started getting "death wobble" and despite the long arm built 4 link in the rear, it STILL did not ride as good as the incorrectly lifted jeep.....

I took a leap that it was shocks.

I was right. The best riding jeep had blistein. The other jeep had rough country and before that some other shocks came with its 4" lift. So I upgraded all the shocks to the same blisteins. Bammm. Perfect. The jeep rode so good. Made me a big believer in blistein does. From what I later read, no other jeep shock could match the blisteins. So.... here I am. If I do shock upgrades, it's extremely likely going to be a blistein.

I did want the KWv3 but.... $2,000? I don't think so lol.
I had a 2012 JK Wrangler and installed a AEV Bilstein lift. It was my 6th Wrangler with suspension mods and it drove like it was stock. Loved that Jeep!

The FiST drives VERY nice with just the fronts on. I can't wait to do the rears this week as I'm sure it's going to be even better. Very nice mod and I really am stoked at how it rides. I wasn't expecting it to turn out this good!?!

any mention of spring rates?

Edit: I ordered some B6's to pair with stock springs too. 750 cad with the family day discount w/ free shipping from essex (bilstein canada).
Nothing was said unfortunately.

I will be installing my set up tomorrow, really looking forward after this review.

Quick question, are the top hats supposed to be level or have some angle to them? Mine are angled a bit.

OP
Khill007
Thread Starter #69
Quick question, are the top hats supposed to be level or have some angle to them? Mine are angled a bit.
Man, I can't remember?!? You really can't screw them up if the bottom of the spring is seated correctly. The top has a bearing so it spins. Not really a seating position on top.

Man, I can't remember?!? You really can't screw them up if the bottom of the spring is seated correctly. The top has a bearing so it spins. Not really a seating position on top.
It's looks one way and like you said hard to screw up. Once I get rime, maybe tomorrow they are going on.

OP
Khill007
Thread Starter #71
You know, I just noticed my front right tire has more gap than the left?!? I'm wondering if there is something to this top hat lean. There are two blue marks on the top hats. I wonder if those are markers as to how the bolts go into the mounting holes up top.

Anyone????

OP
Khill007
Thread Starter #72
Or maybe my toe is so bad it just looks odd?! I haven't had it aligned yet.

OP
Khill007
Thread Starter #73
Well, I guess the alignment helped with the tire gap on the passenger side. It measures pretty even...maybe a 1/8" higher. Screw it! My rears finally shipped today. They must be having a run on these things. Can't wait to get the on!

Best the storms and got my fronts on. Couldn't really test them a whole lot since I had tools and a jack in the rear seats and hatch. But man it rides totally different. Will definitely test these out soon.

VirtualRonin

Active Military
You know, I just noticed my front right tire has more gap than the left?!? I'm wondering if there is something to this top hat lean. There are two blue marks on the top hats. I wonder if those are markers as to how the bolts go into the mounting holes up top.

Anyone????
I installed the Mountune springs on my stock struts and I noticed the top hat lean as well so I think its normal. I installed everything according my online Chilton's DIY manual. Below is the reference step for aligning the top hat with the strut. Hope that helps.

4. NOTE:Make sure that the spring is correctly located in the lower
spring seat.
NOTE:Make sure that the installation marks are aligned.

strut_spring_alignment.jpg

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Not to side track too much. Since the B6 and B8 part numbers are the same for the base Feista as they are for the Fiesta ST, would we not consider the ST lowered on OE springs and thus gravitate to the B8? I am no suspension expert just want knowledge and data.

Subscribed and VERY INTERESTED in anyone's review on OEM springs for comfort and handling in B6 or B8, especially in autocross! Thanks!

Had a little chance to really test them out today. It's drives like a completely different car. On rails is an understatement. It is solid and planted, you point the wheels and it goes exactly where you want it. Corners very flat, without any unsteadiness. Bumps in the roads are absorbed way better than the stock combo.

Will need to fiddle around with a few things once I get a warm day again. On the passenger side I noticed I had to draw the stabilizer link onto the strut with the bolt. The shaft kinda angled up and didn't go in with just a push like the driver side. The passenger side also sits just ever so slightly higher. Which I noticed as I was torquing everything down that the bottom spring end kinda over shot the rubber isolator. The rain started to some down so I left it for another day.

OP
Khill007
Thread Starter #80
Not to side track too much. Since the B6 and B8 part numbers are the same for the base Feista as they are for the Fiesta ST, would we not consider the ST lowered on OE springs and thus gravitate to the B8? I am no suspension expert just want knowledge and data.
Excellent argument! Makes sense...