Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Big Power, Torque Steer, and You

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I feel no discernible torque steer in my car but it definitely wanders at full boost, sometimes to an alarming extent. I have full braces, TTR mounts, Bilstein B14 kit, LSD and 595 RS-R's that I've set at various pressures with little improvement.
That "wandering" you are feeling is more than likely due to the front end raising or getting unsettled, which can also cause some wheelspin. "Torque steer" especially bad torque steer like I've experienced in a 1986 Skyhawk GT or my 2011 Mazda Speed3 is a back and forth jerking motion that requires both hands on the wheel. The Skyhawk is the hands down WORST car I have every driven as far as torque steer is concerned. I also drove 1986 Dodge Shelby GLH-S with around 290hp and it wasn't even in the same league as far as torque steer. lol. A friend of mine had a Skyhawk GT Turbo and they'd put the spank on a 1985 Mustang GT, albeit white knuckled, which actually made it kind of fun. The Fiesta ST is MILD when pointed in a straight line, every once in awhile I'll get some steering kick back coming out of turns but in a straight line it is pretty solid.

Attachments

To be fair, the car didn't have this problem when it was stock and it's not torque steer. It feels like a rwd car does when running slicks on low pressure, except it's not the rear end moving around... it's the front end. It scares the absolute bejeezus out of passengers and is rather unnerving in curves but only happens around thirty pounds and up.

I'm considering swapping the bilsteins for something else, they are extremely harsh and non adjustable.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
To be fair, the car didn't have this problem when it was stock and it's not torque steer. It feels like a rwd car does when running slicks on low pressure, except it's not the rear end moving around... it's the front end. It scares the absolute bejeezus out of passengers and is rather unnerving in curves but only happens around thirty pounds and up.

I'm considering swapping the bilsteins for something else, they are extremely harsh and non adjustable.
I'm at 300whp and over 300pft torque and don't have torque steer. I'm willing to bet you that you are experiencing "front end float". It appears to be worse on a lowered car with negative 2.3-2.5 front camber. I experience what you are describing but this is not torque steer, but probably the front end moving up and down. I feel this too, but it doesn't feel like torque steer. Torque steer can be violent kick back of the steering wheel.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
300whp fwd and no torque steer? I bet you don't have wheelspin either huh

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #67
300whp fwd and no torque steer? I bet you don't have wheelspin either huh

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I guess I just edited my video to look like there’s not much torque steer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #69
I didn't see any clips where you took both hands off the wheel. Odd.
Why would you while racing? Or any car with considerable acceleration at WOT? You're probably a smart person, but what you're suggesting is stupid.

Isaac and I are both on the ragged edge with these cars and yet neither of us have torque steer issues.

But maybe we're lying, I work for Ford but Isaac doesn't... maybe it's a collusion thing. 🤣

The MS3 was pretty bad for torque steer. We had a big turbo SRT4 traded in once that made it look tame though, that thing would jerk the wheel out of your hands if you weren't bearing down on it. It was a riot to drive but the TS was a definite problem.

Torque steer is not an issue with the fiesta. I suppose if I let Jesus take the wheel there would be a problem (as there would be in any vehicle) but if you have the strength of a toddler you'll be just fine.

Why would you while racing? Or any car with considerable acceleration at WOT? You're probably a smart person, but what you're suggesting is stupid.
What if you're texting, or eating a burger, or trying to beat the latest record for solving a rubiks cube. Some variables cannot be taken into account.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
The MS3 was pretty bad for torque steer. We had a big turbo SRT4 traded in once that made it look tame though, that thing would jerk the wheel out of your hands if you weren't bearing down on it. It was a riot to drive but the TS was a definite problem.

Torque steer is not an issue with the fiesta. I suppose if I let Jesus take the wheel there would be a problem (as there would be in any vehicle) but if you have the strength of a toddler you'll be just fine.
I'm sorry but that is freakin hilarious!!! [histerical]

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #78
Isaac and I are both on the ragged edge with these cars and yet neither of us have torque steer issues.

But maybe we're lying, I work for Ford but Isaac doesn't... maybe it's a collusion thing. 🤣
Fake news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir. You are like me and are not "omg this is the best car ever made"

We understand there is a problem. Can we fix it? Probably not cause it's a design flaw. Look at the type R with 350 to the front wheels and little to no TQ Steer. But the front suspension is built to keep it away
Honda claims 306hp so it's likely around 275 or so to the wheels.

Suddenly my investment looks fairly logical considering the type R starts around $34k

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Honda claims 306hp so it's likely around 275 or so to the wheels.

Suddenly my investment looks fairly logical considering the type R starts around $34k
^^^[twothumb][clap][biggrin][driving][coolsmile][werd]

...and looks 1000x better than that origami mish-mosh monstrosity they call their flagship, especially if you were one of the lucky ones who got their FiST OTD for <$18K! [wink]

Last edited: