Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Be nice if Cobb kept us updated with some FiST projects as others are coming out with parts.

In fact it would be nice if all sellers would post upcoming parts on their sites so we would know what to buy, from who, and what to wait out for.

ie. im looking for a RMM solution, talking with HPD says they have something in the works from another company. and i should keep an eye out.
I would never have known this if i hadn't been talking to them about an exhaust and it just came up.

HaveBlue83

Injen= Hot air intake
yeah, on an N/A car.

fourtunately we have this thing called an Intercooler......get this.......it actually COOLS the air charge before it goes into the engine.....pretty nifty, huh? (and I will be going to a garret core fmic, so it REALLY won't matter where or what intake I use).

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
My MS3 didnt mind a similiar intake, even with our 115 degree summer temps.
Oh it didn't? Even with that massive top mount? Did you check the difference in a functioning cool box vs the one you used? Data?
yeah, on an N/A car.

fourtunately we have this thing called an Intercooler......get this.......it actually COOLS the air charge before it goes into the engine.....pretty nifty, huh? (and I will be going to a garret core fmic, so it REALLY won't matter where or what intake I use).
I love the mentally challenged lol. I've built cars that make 4x the fist power. Check my sig. I'll play though, have you by chance looked at the diff in temp from the dyno comparison with the stock box and the Injen? I guess the iat temp was just different for no apparent reason? Lol idiot.

Oh god a dsm guy lol. Jesus the idiots are among us. Rather the cheapass people.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Be nice if Cobb kept us updated with some FiST projects as others are coming out with parts.

In fact it would be nice if all sellers would post upcoming parts on their sites so we would know what to buy, from who, and what to wait out for.

ie. im looking for a RMM solution, talking with HPD says they have something in the works from another company. and i should keep an eye out.
I would never have known this if i hadn't been talking to them about an exhaust and it just came up.
Don't want Cobbs RMM?

And I'll be waiting for Cobbs intake as well. Might as well, I've been waiting this long

TheStig

Oh it didn't? Even with that massive top mount? Did you check the difference in a functioning cool box vs the one you used? Data?
Not mine personally, but others with the same intake showed no increase in IAT's over the stock box.

Im not trying to set the world ablaze with performance, i just want a little better response, more turbo noises and more BPV sounds. Call it ricer or whatever ya like but it will make more power than stock and i will watch my IAT's to see what she does.

Sekred

1000 Post Club

I love the mentally challenged lol. I've built cars that make 4x the fist power. Check my sig. I'll play though, have you by chance looked at the diff in temp from the dyno comparison with the stock box and the Injen? I guess the iat temp was just different for no apparent reason? Lol idiot.

Oh god a dsm guy lol. Jesus the idiots are among us. Rather the cheapass people.
Please keep the personal insults out of the thread .
I am sure you are capable of expressing your point of view without resorting to low ball remarks.
Thanks
Sekred

HaveBlue83

sorry I am quite sarcastic at times :). sorry Sekred, I will keep my end to a minimum.

I see about 7-10 deg over ambient with the Injen after the fmic. I really don't need or care to know what the intake temp @ the intake is. Does it get hot when I sit in traffic in the summer? yep it def spikes. Will a better fmic help that? Yep it will. The FMIC has been shown to be the weak link, not the intake. as I have said before, for $213 Shipped from eBay, I got wonderful turbo swooshy noises, and it still pulls great.

bottom line: is a sealed box with a cone in it the best route? YES. do we have any options with a realistic price out there for that setup? NO. is an open cone filter intake fun? YES.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Don't want Cobbs RMM?

And I'll be waiting for Cobbs intake as well. Might as well, I've been waiting this long
The RMM was just an Example. although I've been kicking around the idea of what RMM i want, pay around 200$ to get Cobbs to my place or just order bushings.

No unlimited funds from this user. [dunno]

dyn085

2000 Post Club
The RMM was just an Example. although I've been kicking around the idea of what RMM i want, pay around 200$ to get Cobbs to my place or just order bushings.

No unlimited funds from this user. [dunno]
The problem is that when manufacturers keep us in the loop but can't maintain timelines, people get mad/frustrated. It doesn't sit well with people and makes manufacturers/vendors look bad. There's a vendor on a site I'm an admin for that has been claiming he would produce a part for two years now...The faithfully-waiting have no part and the rest realize he's lost his credibility.

sorry I am quite sarcastic at times :). sorry Sekred, I will keep my end to a minimum.

I see about 7-10 deg over ambient with the Injen after the fmic. I really don't need or care to know what the intake temp @ the intake is. Does it get hot when I sit in traffic in the summer? yep it def spikes. Will a better fmic help that? Yep it will. The FMIC has been shown to be the weak link, not the intake. as I have said before, for $213 Shipped from eBay, I got wonderful turbo swooshy noises, and it still pulls great.

bottom line: is a sealed box with a cone in it the best route? YES. do we have any options with a realistic price out there for that setup? NO. is an open cone filter intake fun? YES.
I've seen a 5 degree temp increase while in motion by simply cutting the hole in my OEM box as recommended by some, and that doesn't even include the drastic spikes that happen while stopped at lights. Couple that to the 4-8? over ambient temps I was seeing with the OEM box and air feed. While I have a plan to fix that, I find it difficult to believe that a completely open element is supposedly providing lower temps.

Either way, hotter air is less dense and because of that it will actually stress the entire system and not just the already-weak IC. The turbo has to work harder, the IC has to work harder, and the tune has to work harder to compensate. Maybe most daily-drivers won't notice much of a difference and maybe it's worth the cost-savings and added noise/visual appeal, but those that are pro-performance should really be looking elsewhere.

Granted, I'm not the kind of person who really cares what others do to their cars. I'm surprised the pro-performance crew hasn't been bashing this intake given the amount of hate they've previously extended in vendor threads for BOV adapters and wheel threads for people willing to buy wheels that weigh more than 17#. I suppose that's a good sign that those members are less-worried with how people are modifying their cars.

Honestly-an intake comparison would be nice to see, but the last few Injen 'tuned' intakes I've seen far-underperformed competitors though. Obviously those comparisons are moot for this platform, but outside of possibly throttle response and noise/looks I doubt we will sees gains by replacing an intake on an otherwise stock FiST. Otoh, I will say that just cutting the hole in my box improved my filter pressure, so the Injen may offer some relief in that aspect.

You are definitely right in the fact that its tough to say another intake is better if it doesn't actually exist for the consumers though.

HaveBlue83

let me say that IF Cobb would have actually made their product in the USA (like injen did), and NOT drug us through the ringer with a huge wait time (because they outsourced their intake to some asian company and they screwed up the quality), I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE COBB INTAKE. I will not be buying anything else from Cobb because of this mix-up. I cannot buy what is not here, so I went with a super great deal on ebay. I actually will one day look to make a box like my old Focus Volant intake had. they were def cool. It gives me something to tinker with one day. there is a lot of room behind that grille for a nice ram-air closed-box setup with the Injen.

do whatever you want, idc lol.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club

Ummm do you even know where the IAT sensor is and its purpose? [shameful] HOw is a bigger FMIC gonna help you at idle in traffic and your IAT?? The factory IC on the Fist is adequate you must be thinking of the Fost?

How do you know it's made in Asia?
Ive worked for a company that immported cheap Asian stuff. Cobb's material is thicker and the welds are better.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Some say that modding cars is an addiction. Always buying your next fix....COBB is a reputable company and it is sad to see that some will change their entire opinion of a company due to the fact that they took a little longer to release an intake...not to mention that COBB has produced an intercooler, downpipe, roll resistor, catback, etc. and most importantly, the Accessport and ATR software. My opinion is, get another intake and be happy if you can't wait. Now with the discussion on the intake, I have had the stock setup, the Injen and now the mountune. Both the Injen and mountune are great. I just prefer the mountune. While cruising, the intakes carry very similar intake and charge temps. Which is great, but at idle at a red light and stop and go traffic is where the real difference shows itself. The mountune, even at idle stays within 5-10 degree f of ambient on both the intake and charge temps. I have a mountune intercooler btw. The Injen, on the other hand gets hot quick. In traffic, with the Injen and stock intercooler, I would see CHARGE temps up to and over 150 degree f. This really did cause lack of power and hesitation from a stop.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Exactly why I'm waiting for Cobb. After they fixed the whole shift assist problem we had they earned my trust from here on out. I can always wait to spend money. Ha.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I too trust in the COBB stuff...I have the Accessport and RMM from them and have no complaints with either. In fact, the Accessport ( second one that I have had) is my favorite tuning device. I can say that because I have had handheld tuners from SCT, Diablosport and COBB. My opinion though. I am also happy to see, since obviously I'm a mountune fan that mountune chose the COBB Accessport as the tuning device to market in NA.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Very true. I'll be looking at Cobb next Spring when I get my exhaust, downpipe, and intercooler setup. Might as well go all the way.

JPGC, how do you think Mountune's products face up to Cobb's? Or you can't go wrong with either??