Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

dyn085

2000 Post Club
the smoking tire guy already HAS the COBB intake on his car. are you telling me you guys have cars running around with the FiST intake on them but it's not finished yet? it's a couple couplers, a pipe and a filter. this is not rocket science.

I'm just glad I bought my Injen. If I had to continue to wait on the Cobb, I'd be quite frustrated.
That's part of testing and beta testing-you put some out in the wild to ensure there are not going to be any issues for the general population.

I've seen relatively drastic changes on a dyno with different manufacturers intakes. Granted, they were on different platforms and na vehicles, but it pretty much solidified my desire to wait for testing and data to support any performance modifications I do. Any manufacturer can rush an intake (or any other product) to market for sales, but that doesn't make them the best decision.

Most intake manufacturers don't seek CARB approval due to the time/expense. The fact that Cobb did with their FoST intake speaks volumes to me. While I can understand that the wait is too much for some, I personally would rather wait to see what they produce with the time they've invested in it. The fact that they're turning down the 'easy buck' in favor of making sure their product is worthy of the Cobb name/reputation should actually be a good sign for many.

the smoking tire guy already HAS the COBB intake on his car. are you telling me you guys have cars running around with the FiST intake on them but it's not finished yet? it's a couple couplers, a pipe and a filter. this is not rocket science.

I'm just glad I bought my Injen. If I had to continue to wait on the Cobb, I'd be quite frustrated.
Its probably a delay with an overseas manufacturer (read China) where quality varies from lot to lot. They probably got the order in time for the last release date, but the welds were ugly, the coating was improperly applied, or the piping bends were not quite up to spec.

I was first in line for a focus ST intake and when I got it, it was evident that the jig used to make it was off and it required "Adjustment" of the mounting hole.

HaveBlue83

Wowwwww my injen was perfect and designed and MADE IN USA! My first injen product, and i am already looking at their exhaust from the quality of the intake i got.

HaveBlue83

If they had a friggin "new product: Cobb FiST intake!" Thread showing us the progress in house, i am sure it would help calm the waiting buyers, show the progress, and assure people that the product will actually be made. Instead we get "almost done!" "Coming soon!". And then nothing. Laughable at this point. That was MAY. 2Jr even had up proto pics pf their cowl intake. You gotta give the masses something to chew on, or (like me), we will go elsewhere.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Just go look at pumaspeed website. The amount of things they have on there now for our car is crazy. I almost crapped myself when i saw it.

The material on the prototype intakes was different than the material for the production intakes. We are working with a local company on production, but revisions and tooling are going a bit slower than we expected due to potential revisions from testing. It is getting much closer though and I really wish I had some better updates!

Ian

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
The material on the prototype intakes was different than the material for the production intakes. We are working with a local company on production, but revisions and tooling are going a bit slower than we expected due to potential revisions from testing. It is getting much closer though and I really wish I had some better updates!

Ian
If you need someone from Canada to test a prototype, ill take the hit.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
That's part of testing and beta testing-you put some out in the wild to ensure there are not going to be any issues for the general population.

I've seen relatively drastic changes on a dyno with different manufacturers intakes. Granted, they were on different platforms and na vehicles, but it pretty much solidified my desire to wait for testing and data to support any performance modifications I do. Any manufacturer can rush an intake (or any other product) to market for sales, but that doesn't make them the best decision.

Most intake manufacturers don't seek CARB approval due to the time/expense. The fact that Cobb did with their FoST intake speaks volumes to me. While I can understand that the wait is too much for some, I personally would rather wait to see what they produce with the time they've invested in it. The fact that they're turning down the 'easy buck' in favor of making sure their product is worthy of the Cobb name/reputation should actually be a good sign for many.
You're going to find that the companies that don't do CARB certification are not going to be able to operate in California. CARB has put the kibosh on basically ALL of Berger Motorsports' stuff - they're real big in the BMW market... they did the same to Evolution Racewerks because neither of them get CARB#'s... so remember kiddies, if you don't pay the CARB guy big bad CARB will come and ruin your freakin day by threatening you with serious legal action if you sell anything else in Cali... it is SUPER obnoxious. You know how hard it is to tell people with money in hand, "No, I'm sorry but I can't take your money and sell you this because you live in this state."?

The CARB man is like the Tax Man. You can get away with not paying him for a while, but it'll catch up with you sooner or later.

Personally, I REALLY want aFe Power to make a sealed airbox intake for us. :(
Not enough demand so no swanky aFe Airboxes for us....

HaveBlue83

If they did not say the product was going to come out 3 months ago the issue would be null. Cant let the cat out and then not deliver.

A good garrett core fmic take care of most open air filters anyways. Would be nice to have a sealed box, but what if a company came out with one as an added option on an open air kit down the line? You never know.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
If they did not say the product was going to come out 3 months ago the issue would be null. Cant let the cat out and then not deliver.

A good garrett core fmic take care of most open air filters anyways. Would be nice to have a sealed box, but what if a company came out with one as an added option on an open air kit down the line? You never know.
Did you space out mid-sentence? I'm not 100% sure what the heck you're saying, the 2nd sentence is not totally coherent.

anyways... the existing options are ALL open element air cleaner setups, Cobb WAS sealedish but if there's been changes to the design now that's a big ?... A sealed airbox is better for induction of actual cold air and the wizards at aFe are VERY good at what they do... +32WHP and +60wtq on F10 BMW 335i... mind you the gain is between 1500-3000rpm and is about the same as stock thereafter, but that big of a difference down low is friggin ridiculous. The things you can do with a 3d Scanner + 3d Printer....

HaveBlue83

Ummm no....im saying you cant let the cat outta the bag with "new intake coming soon!" In may....and then nothing by aug. Its funny to see them still saying its coming even tho they are retooling in a non us country. Maybe by xmas now. My injen is great and made in the usa.

Also, it was supposed to say "cools better" in therein the intercooler part.. I was making a few points there.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Ummm no....im saying you cant let the cat outta the bag with "new intake coming soon!" In may....and then nothing by aug. Its funny to see them still saying its coming even tho they are retooling in a non us country. Maybe by xmas now. My injen is great and made in the usa.

Also, it was supposed to say "cools better" in therein the intercooler part.. I was making a few points there.
I got the part about not letting the cat out of the bag, it was the 2nd bit that left me scratching my head.

So you're saying with a large enough FMIC cooling the air charge, the hot air being drawn in at the intake point becomes a non-issue. Ok, I get that. But short of the FMIC in hot weather our cars STRUGGLE with heat even with OEM airbox my charge temps are 10*f over ambient. After fitting a COBB FMIC on his FOST my homie says his charge temps don't exceed +3*f over ambient. You've got a valid point there.

But if you don't have that oversized FMIC... charge temps play a big part in how the car behaves. The car is sluggish on 90*+ days here and performs totally different when it's 70*f out. I added heat shielding to my Injen to seal it up better and it did improve the performance and reduce intake air temps. Heat becomes a real problem with more passes... AWE tuning's B8 S4 lost 25whp after 8 back-to-back dyno pulls... consider then if that big 3.0T loses 24hp as heat builds up it makes sense that on our application we start to lose HP as temp increases.

HaveBlue83

I know. When i added a garrett core to my mirage the knock stopped and iat's plumetted. I WILL have the ATP core in the future.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'd wondered many times if we wouldn't benefit more by just bolting a filter straight to the turbo inlet and letting a really big, nice intercooler do the rest. I mean... With charge temp hitting 350degrees, is 20degree diff in air intake temps going to make a diff ? Prob not. But you would lose 25ft of stock air intake tubing and bends.

And the intake temp sensor in the maf is about pointless to us anyway if the intercooler is dropping temps to 3* above abundant.

My plan is to go somewhere in between those two ;) ( stay tuned kids).

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
I'd wondered many times if we wouldn't benefit more by just bolting a filter straight to the turbo inlet and letting a really big, nice intercooler do the rest. I mean... With charge temp hitting 350degrees, is 20degree diff in air intake temps going to make a diff ? Prob not. But you would lose 25ft of stock air intake tubing and bends.

And the intake temp sensor in the maf is about pointless to us anyway if the intercooler is dropping temps to 3* above abundant.

My plan is to go somewhere in between those two ;) ( stay tuned kids).
Pretty sure you're describing what, I forget who, either 2J or RAAM Audio, had put together as the Cowl Induction intake which basically relocates the intake STRAIGHT to the turbo. It's a "race car only", "don't do this to your DD" sort of upgrade which is why he's not going to sell them.

The cooler you can get the air charge, the better.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
He sold one to me :) (2J)
And yea. The filter goes in the cowl. But I was talking about a filter bolted dead on the turbo, zero piping.

If the cooler it dropping temps from 350degree to 73degrees on a 70 degree day... Hard to imagine 370degree air cooled to 74degrees on a 70degree day, but will 1-mile less piping wouldn't be better.

Not saying I'm doing it... Just hypatheticly :)

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
He sold one to me :) (2J)
And yea. The filter goes in the cowl. But I was talking about a filter bolted dead on the turbo, zero piping.

If the cooler it dropping temps from 350degree to 73degrees on a 70 degree day... Hard to imagine 370degree air cooled to 74degrees on a 70degree day, but will 1-mile less piping wouldn't be better.

Not saying I'm doing it... Just hypatheticly :)
You install it yet, and has it sucked in any birds or small animals?