Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
All I know without a catch can I had oil in my hot side pipes, with none whatsoever.
Exactly, I definitely wanted to be sure to mention that was a known positive... I just feel that the other risks and benefits didn't add up for me and also acknowledged that I'll be cleaning and/or replacing my pipes eventually as part of that trade-off... So, it's one of those few things that has very close to an equal argument either way and hopefully it's been good hearing both sides of it, but now back to intakes? hehe

Exactly, I definitely wanted to be sure to mention that was a known positive... I just feel that the other risks and benefits didn't add up for me and also acknowledged that I'll be cleaning and/or replacing my pipes eventually as part of that trade-off... So, it's one of those few things that has very close to an equal argument either way and hopefully it's been good hearing both sides of it, but now back to intakes? hehe
I went from Cobb to Injen. More fun, more noise, more power according to the butt dyno. Feels torque-yer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I went from Cobb to Injen. More fun, more noise, more power according to the butt dyno. Feels torque-yer.
That's what having an intake is all about, making the right noise you want and if it happens to feel like it has a little more torque too then that's definitely a win... Since I have a '17 I haven't messed with a full intake or induction hose as I didn't want to mess with the evap adapters, so I have a drop in w/upgraded crossover for now. Went that route after that Dizzy test showed that's where most of the gains were is in the crossover but adding a proper induction tube and ST200 air box can look and sound very decent and I will do that eventually when I do a hybrid upgrade.

That's what having an intake is all about, making the right noise you want and if it happens to feel like it has a little more torque too then that's definitely a win... Since I have a '17 I haven't messed with a full intake or induction hose as I didn't want to mess with the evap adapters, so I have a drop in w/upgraded crossover for now. Went that route after that Dizzy test showed that's where most of the gains were is in the crossover but adding a proper induction tube and ST200 air box can look and sound very decent and I will do that eventually when I do a hybrid upgrade.
I finally got around to putting the new EVAP line in for a ‘15 into my ‘16 when I did the intake. It’s not too difficult but I was also putting in transmission cable bushings as well so I had the battery and ECU already out. The Cobb “fix” always gave me CELs but rarely gave the warning light, just stored. The injen is dry filter and with this area being so dusty I wanted to use something that wouldn’t wet the dirt.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I finally got around to putting the new EVAP line in for a ‘15 into my ‘16 when I did the intake. It’s not too difficult but I was also putting in transmission cable bushings as well so I had the battery and ECU already out. The Cobb “fix” always gave me CELs but rarely gave the warning light, just stored. The injen is dry filter and with this area being so dusty I wanted to use something that wouldn’t wet the dirt.
So you moved from the Cobb fix (which I heard they got much better on 2nd revision) to the OEM Ford '14-'15 harness? I know that is the only guaranteed way not to get a CEL so I'll have to try to shop around for that... since it's an OEM part I'm sure it's out there for cheaper than Ron offers it, hehe...

So you moved from the Cobb fix (which I heard they got much better on 2nd revision) to the OEM Ford '14-'15 harness? I know that is the only guaranteed way not to get a CEL so I'll have to try to shop around for that... since it's an OEM part I'm sure it's out there for cheaper than Ron offers it, hehe...
Yes. I fully support Ron and will buy from him whenever possible. However, if you can find the part cheaper...? That’s up to you. I found mine through ford parts giant as they were only $50ish but shipping was killer. Somewhere near $30ish. But that was before Ron started selling them by almost a year.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yes. I fully support Ron and will buy from him whenever possible. However, if you can find the part cheaper...? That’s up to you. I found mine through ford parts giant as they were only $50ish but shipping was killer. Somewhere near $30ish. But that was before Ron started selling them by almost a year.
I'm quite neutral on Ron, there have been quibbles on the FB groups between him and other vendors, I just try to stay like "Switzerland" and not pick sides on those things... I've used him for some of his great house brands stuff but for an OEM part I'm definitely gonna look around like Tasca/RockAuto and whatnot, I just need a part number, which I can find through Tasca probably by searching under a 2014 evap harness or something... Thanks for the feedback!

I'm quite neutral on Ron, there have been quibbles on the FB groups between him and other vendors, I just try to stay like "Switzerland" and not pick sides on those things... I've used him for some of his great house brands stuff but for an OEM part I'm definitely gonna look around like Tasca/RockAuto and whatnot, I just need a part number, which I can find through Tasca probably by searching under a 2014 evap harness or something... Thanks for the feedback!
I got you fam. D2BZ-9C047-E

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I got you fam. D2BZ-9C047-E
Thank you very much! I've been looking at diagrams and whatnot and couldn't quite figure it out, this will make it much easier now! :)

Edit: And sure enough, shipping is ridiculous from almost everywhere so may as well just order from eBay...

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
i'm about to put the Injen Cold Air Intake Wrinkle Red on my 2014 fiesta ST. from what I have read it's the best option and looks freakin BA [lovest]

https://www.cjponyparts.com/injen-c...VMbz4feK5Ygv8-q-R4m_YGlACVeDfVr0aAotvEALw_wcB
If you haven't ordered it yet I would keep researching - I think the ITG maxogen and the 2j intake are both regarded as better "loud" intakes, then theres all the airbox replacement intakes. Check whoosh for some options.

CSM

1000 Post Club
If you haven't ordered it yet I would keep researching - I think the ITG maxogen and the 2j intake are both regarded as better "loud" intakes, then theres all the airbox replacement intakes. Check whoosh for some options.
Based on what? Remember Dizzy's intake tests showed teh AEM intake to give best gains overall....Injen is extremely similar design to AEM.

I have Injen and have been more than happy with it. Rode in a 2J intake car and its waaaaayyyy too loud

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Based on what? Remember Dizzy's intake tests showed teh AEM intake to give best gains overall....Injen is extremely similar design to AEM.

I have Injen and have been more than happy with it. Rode in a 2J intake car and its waaaaayyyy too loud
A few quick points:
- Looking similar means absolutely nothing from a fluid dynamics perspective, so "being extremely similar" is an invalid point. They are similar in that both are a piece of pipe with a few bungs and a filter on the end.
- The testing showed a variance of I believe 3.8 horsepower, which is a range *easily* explained by environmental variables.
- The testing referenced lacks sufficient environmental and configuration data to be regarded as much more than anecdotal, and dyno performance in a controlled environment with the hood probably up to mitigate heat soak isn't entirely applicable to real-world on-road performance. Not within those margins, at least. The testing lacked a statistically valid number of data points, so the data provided was a curiosity at best. I would be surprised if you could dyno a car 5 times in the exact same configuration and not get a spread of 3.8 horsepower.
- The statement "I have an Injen intake and am more than happy with it" is an opinion. There is no data provided, and thus the statement is without value in this context. If one could define and quantify "happy" it would be grand, but that is not the case. Some people are "happy" slapping themselves in the testicles - that doesn't mean it is better.
- The statement "rode in a 2j intake car and its waaaaayyyyy too loud" is an opinion. There is no data provided, and thus the statement is without value in this context. You would need to identify sound pressure levels, the OP's acceptable thresholds for such, and perform instrumented testing to determine what is "too loud" for the OP and what is not.
- I don't care what he gets, and I didn't point him to a particular product, I simply referenced that there are multiple products anecdotally referenced as being superior which would merit further research. Not advising him what to buy, not tempering the statement with my opinion, simply stating "do your research".
- I also have the Injen intake; anecdotally, the car slows down when the engine starts to heat soak which is only partially mitigated by an intercooler. *instrumented testing* demonstrates that increased temperatures in the engine bay lead to increased inlet air temperatures that result in decreased power output and an adjustment to timing. I own it, and hereby clearly state that it is not, in fact, the best option - based on *opinion* but supported by limited instrumented testing. As to what is better? I have not personally done enough instrumented testing, but anecdotally the inlet air temperatures in real-world conditions are lower with the 2j. Inlet air temperatures are overall lower with the stock airbox + panel filter. I bought the intake because I wanted to hear turbo sounds; I knew full well it wasn't the best "power adder", but I pursued the option that checked the boxes that suited my needs, mainly - quick installation and removal. Now, I'm looking to replace it with the 2j as I am less interested in quick installation and removal.

My statement to the OP, and anyone else, remains "do your research". Reading a single forum post is not research.

Just making it clear, I am not trying to be a jerk or anything, I am simply being very clear that I was not attempting to press someone to purchase anything in particular and that my opinion did not factor into my recommendation to research the options.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
From everything I have read , it is my belief that purely from a practical standpoint a modified stock or ST200 airbox is the mos t beneficial.
As they are not large HP gains to be had from most aftermarket intakes on our cars. The factory box is not a bad design if modded and the ST200 box was conceived from the prototype Mountune box only real difference being the ST200 box is plastic.
Yes the ITG Maxogen has tested out a Few HP better but how do charge temps look? Does it make you a bit more susceptible to heatsoak action?
Plus if you want less hassle from smog techs and cops both the ST200 box and a factory modded one are going to draw a lot less attention. They will not be as loud and they for all intensive purposes look and are factory.

This is all up to the individual but I am at a point where the less obvious my mods are the better off I am with , cops, dealers and smog techs( when that time arrives)

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thats a nice reply and all, but I just want to point something out. Taking one from your book....
The statement "I think the ITG maxogen and the 2j intake are both regarded as better "loud" intakes, then theres all the airbox replacement intakes." is an opinion. There is no data provided, and thus the statement is without value in this context. How is the OP to know that they are better without data to support your claims? Please provide sufficient value of N to determine statistical significance.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thats a nice reply and all, but I just want to point something out. Taking one from your book....

The statement "I think the ITG maxogen and the 2j intake are both regarded as better "loud" intakes, then theres all the airbox replacement intakes." is an opinion. There is no data provided, and thus the statement is without value in this context. How is the OP to know that they are better without data to support your claims? Please provide sufficient value of N to determine statistical significance.
Truncating my statement to make a point is silly - please reference the text you didn't bother to bold where it says "keep researching", after which I indicated the possibility that other products may be superior. The overall tone is still a recommendation for the poster to do research. If someone came to the conclusion that the injen was the best, it's unlikely they had done a substantial amount of research, so I believe my point "keep researching" is entirely valid. You are attempting to create a disagreement that does not need to happen.

Last edited:

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
From everything I have read , it is my belief that purely from a practical standpoint a modified stock or ST200 airbox is the mos t beneficial.
As they are not large HP gains to be had from most aftermarket intakes on our cars. The factory box is not a bad design if modded and the ST200 box was conceived from the prototype Mountune box only real difference being the ST200 box is plastic.
Yes the ITG Maxogen has tested out a Few HP better but how do charge temps look? Does it make you a bit more susceptible to heatsoak action?
Plus if you want less hassle from smog techs and cops both the ST200 box and a factory modded one are going to draw a lot less attention. They will not be as loud and they for all intensive purposes look and are factory.

This is all up to the individual but I am at a point where the less obvious my mods are the better off I am with , cops, dealers and smog techs( when that time arrives)
Yeah, if I wasn't a giant man-child in search of whooshy turbo sounds I'd probably go st200 intake, but I bought the ST to do immature things so... whoosh, pop, etc. ;)

I can't find it at present but didn't one of the custom tuners say something about some of the most powerful ST's having stock intake+panel filter and stock exhaust? I don't think they provided proof but it *is* interesting. But quiet :p
I do extremely boring work (cybersecurity) and at the end of the day (well, night really) I want my daily to make me laugh and the stock intake didn't do that :D

As far as avoiding attention-getting mods - I remember bugging Ron (whoosh) about which intake was easiest to swap on/off - I sent the ITG maxogen back because I didn't want to have to unwrap the wire harness. Turns out the Ford techs are waaaaaaaaay less stringent than I expected.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yeah, if I wasn't a giant man-child in search of whooshy turbo sounds I'd probably go st200 intake, but I bought the ST to do immature things so... whoosh, pop, etc. ;)

I can't find it at present but didn't one of the custom tuners say something about some of the most powerful ST's having stock intake+panel filter and stock exhaust? I don't think they provided proof but it *is* interesting. But quiet :p
I do extremely boring work (cybersecurity) and at the end of the day (well, night really) I want my daily to make me laugh and the stock intake didn't do that :D

As far as avoiding attention-getting mods - I remember bugging Ron (whoosh) about which intake was easiest to swap on/off - I sent the ITG maxogen back because I didn't want to have to unwrap the wire harness. Turns out the Ford techs are waaaaaaaaay less stringent than I expected.
Yep Jason (Dizzy) has 2 total stages, one with IC upgrade, one without. He says some of the more powerful FiST's have very few bolt on's. He's tuned the x47r on stock fuel and stock exhaust to 300+whp on e20... Anyway, I did the drop in with cold air cutout in the shroud where a Big Mouth would pass through that helps get cooler air in to the snorkel. Then I have the upgraded crossover and inlet, it was also Jason that obviously did the intake tests too and a decent little gain is found with just a crossover even. Since I have a '17 I just have no interest in spending $100 to downgrade my evap just to run a new induction hose that's like $75 and mostly for looks. So yeah, not much for looks or sound as is, but is the most I'd need to do for even a hybrid upgrade already.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yep Jason (Dizzy) has 2 total stages, one with IC upgrade, one without. He says some of the more powerful FiST's have very few bolt on's. He's tuned the x47r on stock fuel and stock exhaust to 300+whp on e20... Anyway, I did the drop in with cold air cutout in the shroud where a Big Mouth would pass through that helps get cooler air in to the snorkel. Then I have the upgraded crossover and inlet, it was also Jason that obviously did the intake tests too and a decent little gain is found with just a crossover even. Since I have a '17 I just have no interest in spending $100 to downgrade my evap just to run a new induction hose that's like $75 and mostly for looks. So yeah, not much for looks or sound as is, but is the most I'd need to do for even a hybrid upgrade already.
Actually on Mountunes webiste they state they flowbenched their intake hose and it showed a 33% improvement in flow over stock.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Actually on Mountunes webiste they state they flowbenched their intake hose and it showed a 33% improvement in flow over stock.
I go off of real world results and intakes didn't show much as far as power gains, just a couple did as well as using an upgraded crossover.