Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have seen the evap harness, I just wasn't sure if it was necessary to purchase since some intakes had fixes for it. I will definitely be purchasing the sound symposer delete as well though, thank you for showing me the whoosh brand one!
I wasn't to sure about the ST200 box. Is it the better option when compared to Mishimoto or ITG? Where does one route the air feed hose? What filer green or Ram Air? I'm sorry I'm a tad uneducated on these things, man. Thank you for all your help though.
You can route the Hose for the ST200 box anywhere you like...down to the ground...more towards the bumper.....Wherever you want it to go as it is flexible. Either Filter will do....The green filter must be cleaned and re-oiled... but it comes pre-oiled should be good for a long time before it needs cleaning. The RAMAIR one is a foam and can be washed in the sink with hot soapy water....I still haven't cleaned either of them...just wanted to try something different so I have both the Green filter and the RAMAIR one. The RAMAIR one is easier to deal with IMO...... oh one thing else look into getting a OCC I have a Damond OCC with the protective sleeves to protect the hose from chaffing and melting & to help with intake deposits as shown here....

https://damondmotorsports.com/products/fiesta-st-oil-catch-can-kit?variant=3833334148

More food for thought...Yay! [party]

You can route the Hose for the ST200 box anywhere you like...down to the ground...more towards the bumper.....Wherever you want it to go as it is flexible. Either Filter will do....The green filter must be cleaned and re-oiled... but it comes pre-oiled should be good for a long time before it needs cleaning. The RAMAIR one is a foam and can be washed in the sink with hot soapy water....I still haven't cleaned either of them...just wanted to try something different so I have both the Green filter and the RAMAIR one. The RAMAIR one is easier to deal with IMO...... oh one thing else look into getting a OCC I have a Damond OCC with the protective sleeves to protect the hose from chaffing and melting & to help with intake deposits as shown here....

https://damondmotorsports.com/products/fiesta-st-oil-catch-can-kit?variant=3833334148

More food for thought...Yay! [party]
Thank you for explaining the filters to me. The OCC is a mod i have looked at, but I couldn't figure out if it was something I should get at lower stages or wait, so thank you again for showing me the damondmotorsports option. They explain it really well on the site. Only thing I couldn't understand is what the VTA kit is for an extra $25 hahaha. You truly are a great help, my good sir!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thank you for explaining the filters to me. The OCC is a mod i have looked at, but I couldn't figure out if it was something I should get at lower stages or wait, so thank you again for showing me the damondmotorsports option. They explain it really well on the site. Only thing I couldn't understand is what the VTA kit is for an extra $25 hahaha. You truly are a great help, my good sir!
I'm just the local Troll here....The VTA is unnecessary IMO. I have VTA oil cap that is great also...

https://www.c-f-m.com/performancepa...-Breather-Kit-for-2014-17-Fiesta-ST-p5173.htm

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I had a mishimoto first gen can. The one they sell now is better but I also opted for the damond over the first gen mishi. I did the math and at my current 98k miles I have stopped 27oz of oil mist going in the intake manifold and over the valves. That's a crap load considering its mist. Turbo cars suffer blow by and direct injection make for dirty valves. Its 200 bucks for piece of mind.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Not going to bash anyone's opinion at all, BUT just to consider the other side of the OCC debate, we do have 2 stages of oil separation that wasn't present in older gens of turbo DI engines that do catch the heavy stuff. The light stuff that IS caught is usually what is sent through the intake in a fine enough mist that even having catch cans doesn't help prevent carbon buildup any further. This is from Stratified that has been tuning DI motors for years and they say it simply doesn't help with that. You *will* keep your charge pipes from getting much oil in them but it would take a LOT there to be a problem anyway. You also are now adding more points of possible failure as well as maintenance involved. Just something to consider, they explain it well HERE. Our engines are also designed for the factory amount of crankcase pressure that going to catch cans would mess with.

Don't get me wrong, if installed and maintained properly, they don't hurt, but also even more things to keep an eye on or could be the one mod that dealers see that make them not want to work on your car or honor warranty too. Just things to consider.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Not going to bash anyone's opinion at all, BUT just to consider the other side of the OCC debate, we do have 2 stages of oil separation that wasn't present in older gens of turbo DI engines that do catch the heavy stuff. The light stuff that IS caught is usually what is sent through the intake in a fine enough mist that even having catch cans doesn't help prevent carbon buildup any further. This is from Stratified that has been tuning DI motors for years and they say it simply doesn't help with that. You *will* keep your charge pipes from getting much oil in them but it would take a LOT there to be a problem anyway. You also are now adding more points of possible failure as well as maintenance involved. Just something to consider, they explain it well HERE. 16+ models also have the double instead of single tube PCV to help with buildup as well, but if you go with a '14-'15 intake with adapter, then you are going back to the older PCV system and maybe a single can at the right side could help a little.

Don't get me wrong, if installed and maintained properly, they don't hurt, but also even more things to keep an eye on or could be the one mod that dealers see that make them not want to work on your car or honor warranty too. Just things to consider.
Mine is a 15.
I'm well out of warranty.
The warranty work done was with the mishi.
Emptying out the occ is pretty much all you do.
Idc what anyone says, oil mist in the intake and
Back of the valves is not something I want.
But that's just my 2 cents.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
16+ models also have the double instead of single tube PCV to help with buildup as well, but if you go with a '14-'15 intake with adapter, then you are going back to the older PCV system and maybe a single can at the right side could help a little..
This information is incorrect. That piping is for the EVAP system not the PCV and the two systems are NOT connected so therefore its irrelevant.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
This information is incorrect. That piping is for the EVAP system not the PCV and the two systems are NOT connected so therefore its irrelevant.
You are right! It is Mishimoto that keeps perpetuating that myth by STILL having it in their intake product description, so yes, the evap system improved to a double hose so that is why the '16+ aren't part of the evap recall... Thank you for clarifying that, I am going to edit my post...

In any case, with 2 stages of oil separation from the factory already and having just the right crankcase pressure that the factory system provides for engine longevity, AND no proof that they help with carbon build-up, I personally don't see the point. I feel having the factory designed amount of crankcase pressure is more important.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Mine is a 15.
I'm well out of warranty.
The warranty work done was with the mishi.
Emptying out the occ is pretty much all you do.
Idc what anyone says, oil mist in the intake and
Back of the valves is not something I want.
But that's just my 2 cents.
Yes, of course, definitely just info for someone new like OP was talking about... Also it is too often ignored that the factory PCV system not only already has 2 baffles to catch the heavy stuff, it also is designed to have the proper amount of crankcase pressure to keep things flowing right in both vacuum and boost operations. By changing that up, who knows if what is caught would have even *needed* to be caught by a catch can in the first place instead of under the proper pressure in place with the factory system working right. In other words, that heavier stuff you caught may have been caught under the right pressure already and just water/fumes going back to the intake is definitely not gonna hurt much at all, in fact it can help keep the turbo spooled with that pressure, much like full recirc DV's do too... I just found that studying that tech paper closely, it resonated with me anyway and explains why it's FAR from a clear thing if catch cans even help, but indeed to each their own! Just something for anyone new to the platform to hear both sides of it so they can make their own educated choice before spending the money. I mean, WMI guarantees clean valves and can be done for not much more in parts cost than good dual catch cans, but is also clearly more involved install and needs the right tune for it as well.,, but can make more power too, so there's that! :)

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I have contemplated water meth injection too for those added benefits but like you stated it's a lot more involved.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I have contemplated water meth injection too for those added benefits but like you stated it's a lot more involved.

I think running e30 quite often wouldn't hurt either. I'm sure the alcohol fumes, and not having dirty oil helps keep PCV tubing and intake valved clean, as well as driving hard in boost and vacuum frequently keeping stuff flowing right over or burned right off when the valves gets nice and hot. Even some newer intake direct cleaning services available for DI now too that at least help quite a bit, so plenty of other proven ways to prevent carbon buildup.

Obviously it all boils down to personal opinion and ultimately I just think installing catch cans for as advanced of a PCV and oil separation we have already isn't worth the extra hassle for me when there are a number of other things that help. Some guys just may want to stay on top of all that themselves and that's fine too. I can't bash on anyone who wants to take it to that level themselves, I'm just kind of wuss who thinks it's just not worth it, hehe.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I think running e30 quite often wouldn't hurt either. I'm sure the alcohol fumes, and not having dirty oil helps keep PCV tubing and intake valved clean, as well as driving hard in boost and vacuum frequently keeping stuff flowing right over or burned right off when the valves gets nice and hot. Even some newer intake direct cleaning services available for DI now too that at least help quite a bit, so plenty of other proven ways to prevent carbon buildup.

Obviously it all boils down to personal opinion and ultimately I just think installing catch cans for as advanced of a PCV and oil separation we have already isn't worth the extra hassle for me when there are a number of other things that help. Some guys just may want to stay on top of all that themselves and that's fine too. I can't bash on anyone who wants to take it to that level themselves, I'm just kind of wuss who thinks it's just not worth it, hehe.
If it separates the oil, where does it go after separation? If I have cought 27.5oz, that's bamn near a quart. I'm asking because idk. I didnt know the 16 had a different setup.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
If it separates the oil, where does it go after separation? If I have cought 27.5oz, that's bamn near a quart. I'm asking because idk. I didnt know the 16 had a different setup.
Sorry for the confusion, the '16+ has a double line for evap over the single line of earlier ones, not PCV... So with the advanced PCV in our cars, it is designed exactly for the pressure generated by the very tight tolerances of our cars engine, there isn't much blow-by compared to others. Once separated in the baffling, it drops back into the oil pan where it belongs and only very light stuff that does not stick and buildup goes to the intake. Keeping oil temps up by avoiding short trips keeps your oil clean by burning stuff off naturally. Once you add catch cans, you don't have the same pressures through the PCV system, which lowers efficiency and makes the catch cans, well, catch more than if it was the factory pressurized system... Like I said, they won't hurt anything if installed and maintained right, but I'd rather let the factory system do the work when who knows if catch cans actually help prevent any probs at all long term over all the other ways to keep carbon buildup down.

Absolutely totally personal choice, I even considered them too, it's just how I determined the direction for me to go after doing research on it.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You are right! It is Mishimoto that keeps perpetuating that myth by STILL having it in their intake product description, so yes, the evap system improved to a double hose so that is why the '16+ aren't part of the evap recall... Thank you for clarifying that, I am going to edit my post...

In any case, with 2 stages of oil separation from the factory already and having just the right crankcase pressure that the factory system provides for engine longevity, AND no proof that they help with carbon build-up, I personally don't see the point. I feel having the factory designed amount of crankcase pressure is more important.
You'd think a company like that would know better. I don't know why they keep calling it a "PCV" adapter. [screwy]

anticon

I would assume increased turbo pressure would also create higher crankcase pressures. Is the stock system designed for those increased pressures? I believe that is why there are VTA options for the OCC and the oil cap. In the end they both connect to the same area at the top of the engine. In the image below, the yellow tube allows the crankcase gases to vent to the top of engine, as I understand the blue line on the left vents under vacuum into the intake manifold and the one on the right vents under boost into the crossover pipe. I have a Damond VTA OCC that sits in the vacuum one, but I would assume that under boost I would still get crankcase gas/mist into the charge pipe through the right blue PCV hose (this is why there are two can options). I also have a CFM VTA oil cap, mainly because I got it for a good price. But...I do think under high boost conditions (i.e. e30 Stage 2 or 3 tune) it might be a good idea to have a VTA to allow excess pressure to escape just in case. This is just my current understanding and I am open to discussion, please let me know what considerations I may be missing. I can't remember which thread I found this image but it came from a [MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION] post.

Capture.JPG

anticon

The only place I can see where it would separate oil mist would be in the cover on the top of the engine shown in my post above. Otherwise the hoses seem to go straight to the intake manifold under vacuum or the crossover pipe under boost. Based on the image I don't seem much baffling in that cover, but maybe there is something not shown. Has anyone removed this cover to see if there is any baffling in there? I would assume the oil caught in that cover would either drain back through the oil check tube, or back through the tube to the crankcase.

Here’s my two cents on the subject... if it were bad, the way it is now... Ford would have a lot of warranty claims.

Here’s my turbo inlet. Stock turbo. Cobb intake (at the time) and I’m still not going to waste the $200-400.

It’s all personal opinion.

My original intent was to check the blades for “dusting” damage with using a cotton oiled filter. There is a lot more oil just under the borescope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anticon

Here’s my two cents on the subject... if it were bad, the way it is now... Ford would have a lot of warranty claims.

Here’s my turbo inlet. Stock turbo. Cobb intake (at the time) and I’m still not going to waste the $200-400.

It’s all personal opinion.

My original intent was to check the blades for “dusting” damage with using a cotton oiled filter. There is a lot more oil just under the borescope.

Thanks for the image and checking that. I wish I would have done the same when I replaced the elbow. I guess that oil is coming from the oil mist venting through the crossover pipe under boost. Maybe that oil helps oil the turbo???

Thanks for the image and checking that. I wish I would have done the same when I replaced the elbow. I guess that oil is coming from the oil mist venting through the crossover pipe under boost. Maybe that oil helps oil the turbo???
I don’t think that’s how it works, but that oil will not hurt anything. It’ll eventually collect in the lower section of the intake tract where it can separate from the air stream at the air vortices. Maybe if someone was stock it’d eat through the rubber hoses and plastic of the intake tract but that’s doubtful or it’ll take a significant number of years most likely beyond the life expectancy of the car.