Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

anticon

Not sure why you're worried about cutting holes in something that 100% can't be seen and is unnecessary unless you live in a flood zone if that means a direct path for fresh intake air... that's pretty much the only thing that will make much difference on stock turbo, even all that intake testing included them all having that Velossa Tech Big Mouth snorkel installed... so if anything the snorkel and drop in are the best place to start, as changing out induction tubing alone will only help suck hot air in faster unless the snorkel or at the very least the hole for it is cut out to allow direct fresh air to get in... Check out this pic to see how clean it can look when it's all installed right:
Idk, from what I'm hearing hot air isnt that big of a deal. Plus the stock box snorkel gets plenty of air from under the headlights which is pretty much where the itg intake sits. I haven't seen dyno results that show the big mouth or st200 airbox add torque or hp, if they are available please point me to them. The gains seem to be from more and smoother air to the turbo in general.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Idk, from what I'm hearing hot air isnt that big of a deal. Plus the stock box snorkel gets plenty of air from under the headlights which is pretty much where the itg intake sits. I haven't seen dyno results that show the big mouth or st200 airbox add torque or hp, if they are available please point me to them. The gains seem to be from more and smoother air to the turbo in general.
No, fair enough, i'm just thinking every little bit to help with charge temps, don't expect real gains... by making sure you fully get the coolest air possible it does help with charge temps especially for us here in the PNW where it's generally mild it could at least help a bit in avoiding heat soak with the stock IC...

You see where that shroud is that gets cut for the big mouth? The bumper sits over that and creates a pocket where the intake draws in outside air. Just to the right of that from this picture on the curve of the shroud is the ambient air temp sensor. It pokes through the bottom side of the shroud and gives you your air temp you see in the center of the gauge cluster. It gets hot in that plenum. Really hot. So, que the big mouth to bring in ambient air. Now, I have not personally compared ambient, intake, and charge air difference but I can tell you my black Whoosh intercooler sits at 5*F when driving, maybe a little warmer if the sun hits it on the drive, and 100+ when sitting in traffic.

Now, with the big mouth, you will get a little water in the air box if you're driving in the rain. I kept the stock air box to let the water fall out of the air and get as far away from the filter as possible, until I got the Cobb intake. Play it safe and you should be fine. You will get bugs in the air box and more dirt. Just clean and recharge the filter every 5k miles or so.

I noticed better throttle response with my big mouth when I was stock. I upgraded intake and charge pipes and diverter for future expansion and sound. Velossa Tech shows a 5hp/Tq gain as you're flowing about 5lb/min more air per their test and data logs. However, your mileage may vary. I don't think I've seen a set of independent logs though to back up or dispute VT's gains.

I'd say go for it. Big mouth, panel filter, and rmm on stock turbo with a tune and you're golden.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You see where that shroud is that gets cut for the big mouth? The bumper sits over that and creates a pocket where the intake draws in outside air. Just to the right of that from this picture on the curve of the shroud is the ambient air temp sensor. It pokes through the bottom side of the shroud and gives you your air temp you see in the center of the gauge cluster. It gets hot in that plenum. Really hot. So, que the big mouth to bring in ambient air. Now, I have not personally compared ambient, intake, and charge air difference but I can tell you my black Whoosh intercooler sits at 5*F when driving, maybe a little warmer if the sun hits it on the drive, and 100+ when sitting in traffic.

Now, with the big mouth, you will get a little water in the air box if you're driving in the rain. I kept the stock air box to let the water fall out of the air and get as far away from the filter as possible, until I got the Cobb intake. Play it safe and you should be fine. You will get bugs in the air box and more dirt. Just clean and recharge the filter every 5k miles or so.

I noticed better throttle response with my big mouth when I was stock. I upgraded intake and charge pipes and diverter for future expansion and sound. Velossa Tech shows a 5hp/Tq gain as you're flowing about 5lb/min more air per their test and data logs. However, your mileage may vary. I don't think I've seen a set of independent logs though to back up or dispute VT's gains.

I'd say go for it. Big mouth, panel filter, and rmm on stock turbo with a tune and you're golden.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Good info, thanks for sharing, I figured it would help get true ambient air, that shroud you cut through to mount that snorkel doesn't seem to be able to draw much fresh air, looks pretty sealed off...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's what I was wondering, it's only for evap? I thought it was different PCV plumbing...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Mishimoto and some other manufacturers seem to have confused the ports on the 16+ induction hose for PCV when they are really EVAP lines. The 16+ DID get a PCV tube update but its the much larger tube that runs from the valve cover to the crossover pipe (pipe that directly connects to the turbo), not the smaller lines attached to the induction hose.

stascom said:
wow. I wonder how much weight all that crap adds

Not much, its not like its stones. Charcoal canisters are not that heavy. Maybe 5lb?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Regarding this. Does anyone know what the revised evap supposed to do? Does this have any effect on oil blow-by? I'm not sure, if that's where the PCV dumps dirty air or not.
Its supposed to help with idle stumble and help with the car shutting off after filling the tank. EVAP and PCV are two totally different systems. The bigger hose on the crossover pipe is PCV and that is where it dumps back into the intake system.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Its supposed to help with idle stumble and help with the car shutting off after filling the tank. EVAP and PCV are two totally different systems. The bigger hose on the crossover pipe is PCV and that is where it dumps back into the intake system.
Was it you who I just had this conversation with on one of the FB groups? But yeah, here I am 8 months into owning my FiST doing research almost every damn day and FINALLY have a clear answer on this one, it was Mishimoto who STILL has the wrong info up about PCV on the induction hose when that's evap and the PCV is on the crossover pipe.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Was it you who I just had this conversation with on one of the FB groups? But yeah, here I am 8 months into owning my FiST doing research almost every damn day and FINALLY have a clear answer on this one, it was Mishimoto who STILL has the wrong info up about PCV on the induction hose when that's evap and the PCV is on the crossover pipe.
Haha I thought it might be you!

LILIKE16ST

that radiator shroud blocks the factory air intake from bringing in cool air...it's hot air from near the radiator cut off from "fresh" air. Now you can do like I did before I even had the big mouth and cut a hole in said shroud around the spot where the big mouth goes and this actually helps alot with air intake temps and charge temps. Once you get them heat soaked sitting and take off you can watch the temps drop fast...much faster than before the hole was cut. With that said I did not notice much difference in temps between the big mouth and simply having the hole cut where the big mouth goes. Intake temp wise it was about the same (but obviously but better than bone stock) but the big mouth isn't just about temps that's just one small advantage of it. It actually forces air into your air box (you need a closed box to take advantage of this...cobb, mishimoto, stock, cpe, etc) at speed and when you get up in 3rd and 4th gear there's actually like 5-8 hp worth of airflow. Not only that it has actually shown through datalogs to lower the wastegate duty cycle which in case you don't know is basically a measurement of how hard your turbo is working. So in effect you could have the same output at 19 psi as you did before the big mouth at 20-21 psi theoretically. It allows your turbo to work a little more efficiently and not work as hard which is good all the way around. I think it is def worth the cost. Some don't and that's fine...I enjoy having it along with the cpe and it feels good knowing I have the best intake setup available for the st (aside from the super loud 2jr which probably isn't much better in all honesty outside of better spool time due to the shorter air path).

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Right on man, what a great enthusiast community we have to learn from each other! Thanks for helping me get all that figured out and now I'm not afraid to mess with the induction hose too!
Yeah man for sure. I never thought that the FiST community would be so close knit and friendly!

With the tax return season on the horizon I have decided to finally begin modding my FiST. I was curious which intake would be more beneficial for performance , the Mishimoto, or the ITG Maxogen are the two I am currently torn between at the moment. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person on the planet, but I feel like I can handle an intake install, I was just curious about the opinions of others in the community.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
With the tax return season on the horizon I have decided to finally begin modding my FiST. I was curious which intake would be more beneficial for performance , the Mishimoto, or the ITG Maxogen are the two I am currently torn between at the moment. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person on the planet, but I feel like I can handle an intake install, I was just curious about the opinions of others in the community.
What year is your crap box? What are you previous mods? Do you like sucking in hot engine bay air? [wrenchin]

I suppose I should have been a little more thorough haha. 2016 FiST. Planning on purchasing the Intake, FMIC, and accessport roughly the same time for one singular install. 0 previous mods to the car though. Bone stock at the moment, my man.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I suppose I should have been a little more thorough haha. 2016 FiST. Planning on purchasing the Intake, FMIC, and accessport roughly the same time for one singular install. 0 previous mods to the car though. Bone stock at the moment, my man.
Have you bought this?

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...-to-convert-2016-fiesta-st-to-2014-2015-specs

This is the best problem solver for the notorious Evap light you will get with any none Stock intake for 2016+ FiSTs. There is nothing wrong with Running a high flow panel filter with the stock air box .....I run the ST200 box with my Gen2 GTX2860.....Keeps the stealth stock look with allittle more edge on colder air due to the long tube hose that can be routed to where you desire..... I have a green filter and Ramair foam filter for it.....

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...ucts/fiesta-st200-airbox-w-cold-air-feed-hose

Sound symposer delete to avoid possible boos leaks....

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...r-delete-free-shipping?variant=13053873946687

Food for thought.....[idea]

I have seen the evap harness, I just wasn't sure if it was necessary to purchase since some intakes had fixes for it. I will definitely be purchasing the sound symposer delete as well though, thank you for showing me the whoosh brand one!
I wasn't to sure about the ST200 box. Is it the better option when compared to Mishimoto or ITG? Where does one route the air feed hose? What filter, filter green or Ram Air? I'm sorry I'm a more than a tad uneducated on these things, man. Thank you for all your help though.

Ford Community Posts