Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gauging interest: M factory updated CV axle shafts.

koozy

3000 Post Club
DHM would be a source to gauge demand. They have a number of customers who would be interested. I believe Russ@DHM tried to get the driveshaft shop to produce some driveshafts, but it seems the driveshaft shop is not interested in a niche market or busy with other projects that bring in higher ROI.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Mine broke for sure because of wheel hop. If more people used slicks, def would be less broken axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
any pics of the broken shafts?

which side is most common?

is the failing part that goes in the trans or the actual shaft, or the one of the CV joints?

Just curious...

It seems like a great idea for a fully built or dedicated race cars but a rather tough sell for the majority of owners looking for Intakes and Intercoolers

OP
Perfblue15

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
any pics of the broken shafts?

which side is most common?

is the failing part that goes in the trans or the actual shaft, or the one of the CV joints?

Just curious...

It seems like a great idea for a fully built or dedicated race cars but a rather tough sell for the majority of owners looking for Intakes and Intercoolers
Sadly I have thrown away the broken shafts, but they were breaking the bearing carriers inside the cv joint. The axle shaft and the ends seem to be fine.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
At that power level, our standard SAE 4320 axles should suffice. We use these on our BMW 335i's putting down over 600lbs without issue.

300M is expensive and over-rated. There are better choices of steel available when you do start pushing 800lbs+ (which is highly unlikely in your Fiesta ST's)
OK, then WHAT material is stronger than the 4320 stated above, but less cost than (and is also stronger than, according to you, IF I am understanding correctly) 300M? [???:)]

SERIOUS/LEGIT question, NOT a ridicule, or challenge! [nono]

I had a 300M billet input shaft in my Cummins transmission. It is crazy strong stuff. To be less expensive, it may be a lesser material that is cryo-treated. But that adds cost as well?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I would definitely be interested. But honestly, it wouldn't be for at least another 2 years.

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

OP
Perfblue15

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
At that power level, our standard SAE 4320 axles should suffice. We use these on our BMW 335i's putting down over 600lbs without issue.

300M is expensive and over-rated. There are better choices of steel available when you do start pushing 800lbs+ (which is highly unlikely in your Fiesta ST's)

Also, just to point out:

1) Whilst we would be more than happy to produce axles for you, we would not want to make them if they are not really required (yeah, I know. Contradicts business sense, but that's how we operate! We want to work "with" the community, not just make money off it)
2) Broken axles is not just about power, but also chassis setup and, most importantly, driving style. If you are breaking axles at relatively low power levels (and it's not a known fault/issue), then you would be best looking into other areas of your setup to see if that is the cause of the issue(s). Anything from suspension setup to driving environment can cause a failure i.e lots of variables
I feel that the SAE 4320 material sounds like it would be perfect. I personally don't know of anyone planning to make 600ftlbs on this platform. I feel my problem is sheer power, as with a lot of the other DHM big turbo cars. I'm sure some of the hybrid turbo guys have snapped axles as well. I do not see axles being an issue for the basic bolt on cars, but there is a market out there.

I really respect that you would be willing to make the axles, and want to work with the community instead of just putting something out to make money. Integrity is a rare thing in this day and age.

I bet [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION] would be able to help you sell a lot of these since he has so many high hp cars he has tuned and supplied turbos kitd for.

OK, then WHAT material is stronger than the 4320 stated above, but less cost than (and is also stronger than, according to you, IF I am understanding correctly) 300M? [???:)]

SERIOUS/LEGIT question, NOT a ridicule, or challenge! [nono]
For something stronger than our base material, we can go up to 9310, but this rarely required. It's not "stronger" than 300M (which is just 4340 with Vanadium added), but is far more cost effective and does the job just as well.

When designing the axles, it's not just about the material, but also the design and processes involved. For example, all of our components are Forged. This technically allows us to use the same material as a competitor, make it equal strength, yet use 30% less material.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Didnt see this said....but has anyone thought of getting them cryoed? Just throwing that out there...

OP
Perfblue15

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
i'm in, lets get with it as track season is almost upon us!
That's the plan my friend. We need atleast 10 interested to get this off the ground. These are a must have for all upgraded turbo fiesta ST's IMHO.

OP
Perfblue15

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
It seems interest has fallen off. If we can get 10 interested we can get the ball rolling.

I really would like to see this happen. I need upgraded axles at my power level.

Add me to that list...I'm about to install my x-47 and track season starts in like three weeks.

If I break something you better believe I'm not putting that same part on the car and expecting a different result with the same set-up.