Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thoughts on mesh grills

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I picked up some medium-fine mesh from Pegasus Racing and made my own lower mesh grill to protect the intercooler in the winter. I noticed last spring that my intercooler was heavily damaged from winter, even with the factory grill installed. After spending hours with a pair of tweezers fixing all of the fins, I decided to try something different this winter. It took about 20 minutes to make with a pair of tin snips and I found some plastic edging from McMaster car to use on the perimeter. Total cost was around $50 and turned out pretty good for my first try.
From 70'F on Friday to 30'F on Monday. The ST is almost ready for winter. by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

OP
TheJesterRace27
Thread Starter #26
Here are a couple of pics I took this morning:

View attachment 13360 View attachment 13361
Looks awesome man! Thanks. I might keep the vertical ones after all.
I picked up some medium-fine mesh from Pegasus Racing and made my own lower mesh grill to protect the intercooler in the winter. I noticed last spring that my intercooler was heavily damaged from winter, even with the factory grill installed. After spending hours with a pair of tweezers fixing all of the fins, I decided to try something different this winter. It took about 20 minutes to make with a pair of tin snips and I found some plastic edging from McMaster car to use on the perimeter. Total cost was around $50 and turned out pretty good for my first try.
From 70'F on Friday to 30'F on Monday. The ST is almost ready for winter. by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr
Nice. I think I'm gonna order stuff to do this this weekend

OP
TheJesterRace27
Thread Starter #27
Here are a couple of pics I took this morning:

View attachment 13360 View attachment 13361
Looks awesome man! Thanks. I might keep the vertical ones after all.
Nice. I think I'm gonna order stuff to do this this weekend

brbauer2

FMIC, Hella horns, driving/fog lights, paint crash bar, shave the grill, and now this. My list of things to do with the bumper off keeps growing.

Sent from my OnePlus 3

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Same here, except no lights, or paint, but I do want to install some form of intake scoop as well while the whole front is apart.

I just received an email from Cobb about them releasing a REAL carbon fiber scoop/snorkel for the FoSTs (like the VelossaTech one for our cars, and for not much more coin than that one), so hopefully they eventually make the same for our rides. ;)

brbauer2

I got that email as well. I wouldn't wait on it. It took them this long to get one made for the much more popular FoST, so not likely for the FiST.

I used black painted stainless steel diamond mesh I got on eBay and neoprene edging from customcargrills.com. As far as I'm concerned it looks great. I wanted some serious protection for that CP-E intercooler, all sorts of junk flying off the roads around D.C.
Do you recall what sized opening you used for the neoprene edging?

Do you recall what sized opening you used for the neoprene edging?
I used the 1/16 opening trim, $0.90/ft with this mesh. grille_mesh.png It was a tight fit but close to perfect, took some finger strength but used no adhesive. The neoprene grill edging from customcargrills.com is a really nice product.

brbauer2

Just ordered a few samples from customgrills to see what will match the main grill best.

Sent from my OnePlus 3

brbauer2

Got the samples today. Think I'm going to go with the middle size one.

Sent from my OnePlus 3

Sent from my OnePlus 3
The one on the right? That is what I would go with... the one on the left looks very close but I'm not sure how effective it would be at preventing debris... what are the specs on the one all the way to the right?

OP
TheJesterRace27
Thread Starter #38

Sent from my OnePlus 3
Are these all aluminum? I might have to order some samples. It's not like I'm in a big hurry because it'll still be a few months before I get that new whoosh intercooler I've been eyeing.

brbauer2

Yes, the one on the right. I'll get links to which they are once I get to a computer.

The biggest one is a damn near perfect match except it's texture compared to the main grill. It is plastic. The other two are black gloss aluminum.

Sent from my OnePlus 3