Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can we have an open conversation on LSPI?

You guys are talking about two completely different things.

The original poster is talking about knock corrections. Knock is absolutely different than LSPI. The conditions the OP describes could absolutely lead to knocking.

LSPI is severe knock, caused by a completely different mechanism than typical knock.

I think it's important to understand the differences, and use the terms correctly. Not all knock is LSPI.

"Several theories exist to explain the mechanism of LSPI. One theory is centered on an oil droplet entering the combustion chamber from a crevice between the piston and cylinder wall. In this mechanism, the oil droplet mixes with fuel and auto-ignites. A second theory focuses on deposits as the ignition source for LSPI. Evidence has been shown for both mechanisms, and they are not necessarily mutually exclusive."

-Rob

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Did some digging around, gf-6 hasn't come out yet and is scheduled around April 1st 2018.
Yeah, just what I was thinking when you made the first post.

There ARE some oils already out which claim to specifically address the oil related LSPI issues; the newest formulation of the Amsoil Signature Series, and certain Ravenol full synthetic oils (like their DXG 5W-30).

There are probably others as well, but I am not aware of them yet, and yes, there will be MANY others once GF-6 goes into effect. ;)

A7xogg

Yeah, just what I was thinking when you made the first post.

There ARE some oils already out which claim to specifically address the oil related LSPI issues; the newest formulation of the Amsoil Signature Series, and certain Ravenol full synthetic oils (like their DXG 5W-30).

There are probably others as well, but I am not aware of them yet, and yes, there will be MANY others once GF-6 goes into effect. ;)
I haven't had good luck with amsoil(almost blew my motor, and friends have lost motors to it). I'll have to look out for ravenol

Seen Low Speed Pre-Ignition take out a metric shitton of older Hyundai motors. Was a serious issue with those turbo velosters. Seen it take out one WRX motor in person, seen it on another Mazdaspeed 2.3 in person, and heard of it on Ford's 2.0 ecoboost. Unless it is NA direct injection, if the thing has direct injection you should usually always downshift. Low RPM, boost, and high load are the smoking guns. Like, maybe 4-5 blown motor stories in my town while people were passing in 6th/5th that I have heard over the last few years. [dunno]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Seen Low Speed Pre-Ignition take out a metric shitton of older Hyundai motors. Was a serious issue with those turbo velosters. Seen it take out one WRX motor in person, seen it on another Mazdaspeed 2.3 in person, and heard of it on Ford's 2.0 ecoboost. Unless it is NA direct injection, if the thing has direct injection you should usually always downshift. Low RPM, boost, and high load are the smoking guns. Like, maybe 4-5 blown motor stories in my town while people were passing in 6th/5th that I have heard over the last few years. [dunno]
ECU's have evolved over the years too... I say just don't TRULY bog/lug your motors and that is giving 80-100% throttle and keeping it there when you are well under 2,000 RPM's... Also, this oil issue is fascinating, I'll have to keep an eye out for this GL-6 rated stuff!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
^^^Actually, it is GF 6 (GL-x is for GEAR OILS).
Yep, GF-6 but not due out for a couple of years... So in the mean time there is the Dexos1 Gen 2 and the new SN+ that is just now coming out on May 1st officially. I'm just not sure how it's different than Gen 2 which is specifically for anti-LSPI on DI-T engines that is met by a number of decent synthetics already.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yep, GF-6 but not due out for a couple of years... So in the mean time there is the Dexos1 Gen 2 and the new SN+ that is just now coming out on May 1st officially. I'm just not sure how it's different than Gen 2 which is specifically for anti-LSPI on DI-T engines that is met by a number of decent synthetics already.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
It is my understanding that the SN+ standard will encompass ALL of the D1G2 LSPI tests, plus address intake valve deposit prevention for GDI engines, and is a 'catch all' for the oil companies who do not want to, or feel the need to pay GM for the use of the Dexos specs licenses. ;)

Ford Community Posts