Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Screwed up car with Forscan

F1ST

Fix the Brick

This needs a solution so here goes.

I managed to do just about the same to my car yesterday. Had it towed home so I could figure it out

WARNING: I would advise against using any of the settings in "IPC Module Configuration" (the one without (Main), the one with only 2 settings in it). It may say Tire Circumference (the one I did) and Autolock (the one he did), but whatever it changes behind the scenes is wrong and disables the IPC and the entire car. Autolock yourself out of a vehicle... I intentionally did it again and it bricked, so it isn't a communication interruption when programming as someone previously speculated.
The PDF I attached shows a sure way to use FORScan to brick your IPC, which makes the car disable completely. The only module you'll be able to communicate with is the APIM radio module, and that won't help you recover. You won't be able to get back into IPC to fix things without some bypass surgery. PDF: View attachment brickfist.pdf

I contacted the Forscan guys and let them know what happened. I figured if I bricked it I could un-brick it and with their help I did manage to get it back. It is surprisingly easy to do once you've figured out how. They hadn't seen this before but we both figured that if we could get the IPC powered up like the key was on it could be reflashed. Once I jumped power to the IPC key on position I was able to reflash my ASBUILT.

Attached are images, hope they help someone in the future.
Steps:
  1. Just in case, keep your keyfob near the steering column. Probably voodoo, but just in case the car want to see the key when you power the IPC without other things getting power.
  2. Remove glove box, open it all the way, push in the top of it so the rubber bumpers clear and it tilts out. In this lowest open position pull it towards the passenger seat and it will unhinge. Reverse to put back in.
  3. Find 12v power and get it close to where you can jumper it into the fuse panel to feed the IPC. Cigarette lighter would have worked, I had small jumper cables handy so just came direct from battery.
  4. Rig up a way to get power into the panel. You are going to feed 12v right to the IPC, from the fuse box, bypassing everything else. I used half of a spare fuse and a alligator clip jump wire.
  5. Locate fuse 21, 3rd down on right side.
  6. ¿Plug and pray? Plug into the RIGHT side, I have an image showing the RIGHT side of the fuse panel and where fuse 21 is. Zoomed in image for clarity I hope. It should power up.
  7. You can reflash your backed up ASBUILT file you made before you started messing with FORScan. (you did, didn't you?) If not, you can find instructions to get your ASBUILT config from Ford here: http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1932

Good luck to anyone who has a broken fiST. Part of having tools like FORScan to diagnose is being able to fix it when it breaks (or we break it) instead of having to go back to the dealer.

whynot.JPG
power.JPG
fuse21RIGHTside.JPG
plugged.JPG
keepRIGHTplease.JPG

Awesome write up. I have been hesitant to change any codes due to the mysticism revolving around here about the "bricking" from use. Glad you got it sorted, Ill certainly play with it now knowing the FORScan folks are able to be reached and moreover, there is a solution to the IPS not powering up.

Post more! [wrenchin]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Modules often can't just be installed plug & play and require programming. For those that are unsuccessful with reaching out to and resolving via ForScan customer support, this site may sell and program modules.

https://www.fs1inc.com/ford-lincoln-mercury.html

Costs Ford a lot of money to support folk who brick their sh*t and go requesting warranty support. Just come clean, tell the truth and eat the $900 cost. Higher than average post sale support costs discourages the company from continuing the line as this really eats into the profit margins. From having a manual transmission that is susceptible to user-error, to a 'racer boy' reputation/attraction, there are already a number of things working against post sale support costs. Adding people bricking their computers and asking that Ford cover it doesn't help. It happens every day and all the time: The many get punished by the actions of a few.

Benjammer

Amazing troubleshooting, I wanted to thank you for sharing your information, explaining on what went wrong, how to avoid it, and how to fix it if it does happen, rather than deleting the post as some have suggested.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
YIKES!!

I did not see this thread at all before today, and this pretty much convinced me to just 'live with' the effing TPMS lights/chimes, instead of risking what the (competent/knowledgeable) people in this thread went through, especially given just how 'IT illiterate' I am. [:(]