Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Vignale, Titanium, ST and RS accounted for 59% of Ford's European car sales last year.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
This is why the EU determines what we get for ST's and the RS. They do not sell here like they do there. Except to the astute, brilliant, knowledgeable people like on this Forum!

In European market

"Ford performance car sales ? including Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS, Mustang and GT ? grew 60 percent in 2016 to 43,800, continuing the momentum from 2015, when performance car sales were up 62 percent."

(From a different article....)

http://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...12/ford-motor-europe-general-motors/98996016/

What's the Vignale? Is there any word what performance car sales for Ford are like here? It's a shame car culture overseas is so different than here, so many people stateside see a car as a tool no different than a stove or blender.

What's the Vignale? Is there any word what performance car sales for Ford are like here? It's a shame car culture overseas is so different than here, so many people stateside see a car as a tool no different than a stove or blender.
It is like Lincoln Black Label but without the Lincoln. Luxury materials, feel, service. Step up from the Titanium.

I'm sure Ford sells every performance car they make. The Fiesta ST exceeded expectations and is the only Fiesta model to hold onto sales.

Cars are seen just as much as a tool in the EU, it is just that their "tools" are smaller, 'funner' cars which fit their roads and taxes. It is not that different. Just because people have to drive a manual, and gravitate towards these smaller hatches doesn't mean they are all enthusiasts.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
It is like Lincoln Black Label but without the Lincoln. Luxury materials, feel, service. Step up from the Titanium.

I'm sure Ford sells every performance car they make. The Fiesta ST exceeded expectations and is the only Fiesta model to hold onto sales.

Cars are seen just as much as a tool in the EU, it is just that their "tools" are smaller, 'funner' cars which fit their roads and taxes. It is not that different. Just because people have to drive a manual, and gravitate towards these smaller hatches doesn't mean they are all enthusiasts.
For only the second time since 2009 the Fiesta did not outsell all others for a quarter of a year in Europe. Lost cause in the US and even the ST has dropped off in sales here. And to my knowledge nobody "has" to drive a manual in the EU. They prefer it unlike the US.

We Americans have our own problems, like dual cab long bed 4X4 pick-ups as daily drivers in cities, $60,000 SUV's to haul 1 kid that don't even meet the safety requirements of cars. And a vocabulary that supports statements like "big fine car" and "big house" and "biggie size" and a bigger size is an "upgrade". I see baby strollers that are so large they will not fit in a trunk! Just this week my son had to leave the stroller home as it would not fit in the trunk of a Camry!!!! Just to push a 20 pound child? WOW!

For only the second time since 2009 the Fiesta did not outsell all others for a quarter of a year in Europe. Lost cause in the US and even the ST has dropped off in sales here. And to my knowledge nobody "has" to drive a manual in the EU. They prefer it unlike the US.
Well while the overall car sales have dropped Ford Performance continues to move product, more due to the Raptor, GT, RS. But also the ST siblings. As Fiesta sales have dropped by 20,000ish in the last year while ST transactions have held steady.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2017/02/10/hatchbacks-chicago/97778234/
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/ford-fiesta-sales-figures.html
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/11/22/The-Focus-RS-Makes-Up-Just-1-Percent-Of-Focus-Sales-But-Is-Still-A-Success-7736562/

As a result performance hot hatches have held on and are beating the downward trend of base models.

And while yes no one "has" to drive a manual, an unrestricted license in many EU countries requires one to operate a manual car. Of course afterwards they can drive either a manual or auto, which I guess is where preference comes in, but then consider how autos are harder to come by and more often than not are in a higher tax bracket. Take the Fiesta which with a 1.0 and 5-speed are in tax band A vs tax band C for the auto 6-speed, and it certainly guides people towards manuals. I have some friends who have exchanged to here and they certainly welcome not having to shift gears, but of course they are not enthusiasts and wouldn't go out of their way to drive a manual car.

Imagine if they did this here. I feel like it would solve many issues (from traffic deaths to infrastructure funding) and then we also wouldn't have "60,000 SUV's to haul 1 kid that don't even meet the safety requirements of cars". Or I just realized people would just be fine with a restricted license.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
We need more people to buy small cars, the solution will come when the Arabs raise oil prices now that the US oil patch is shut down.

Unfortunately the ST sales continue to drop not hold steady. Avg monthly sales for 2014 and 2015 was about 5300. Sales for 2016 were 4066 per month, and the figures available for Jan and Feb of 2017 are lower than 4000 per month. I don't think we will see the new 1.5L ST here. Possibly a holdover for the US market of the 1.6L..... maybe. But I find it hard to believe Ford will spend the money to get 4000 $23K cars EPA and crash tested and recertified in the USA. Hope I am wrong.

We Americans have our own problems, like dual cab long bed 4X4 pick-ups as daily drivers in cities, $60,000 SUV's to haul 1 kid that don't even meet the safety requirements of cars. And a vocabulary that supports statements like "big fine car" and "big house" and "biggie size" and a bigger size is an "upgrade". I see baby strollers that are so large they will not fit in a trunk! Just this week my son had to leave the stroller home as it would not fit in the trunk of a Camry!!!! Just to push a 20 pound child? WOW!
I'll overhear people saying all the time how they want a big SUV like a Yukon or Tahoe because it makes them "feel safe" on the road. You stay safe by paying attention to what's around you at all times not just by getting a bigger SUV!!!

We need more people to buy small cars, the solution will come when the Arabs raise oil prices now that the US oil patch is shut down.

Unfortunately the ST sales continue to drop not hold steady. Avg monthly sales for 2014 and 2015 was about 5300. Sales for 2016 were 4066 per month, and the figures available for Jan and Feb of 2017 are lower than 4000 per month. I don't think we will see the new 1.5L ST here. Possibly a holdover for the US market of the 1.6L..... maybe. But I find it hard to believe Ford will spend the money to get 4000 $23K cars EPA and crash tested and recertified in the USA. Hope I am wrong.
Aren't those overall sales numbers though? I wonder what percentage are ST's...

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Aren't those overall sales numbers though? I wonder what percentage are ST's...
Ford claims 4-5 % (forgot where I read it) are ST's, I have not seen a separate breakdown of ST sales in the US, don't know why.

Everybody here wants to buy either a diesel or a low mpg petrol because of taxes and gas prices. If you buy a hot hatch in europe sometimes you are also viewed as a "jhonny" (Belgium). Basically a 18 kid ricer that listends to Thunderdome hardcore music

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Ford claims 4-5 % (forgot where I read it) are ST's, I have not seen a separate breakdown of ST sales in the US, don't know why.
IF Ford is only selling 4K Fiestas TOTAL a month, the ONLY reason they are keeping ANY version at all of this car around is to try and help out their CAFE scores/requirements a little, so that they can sell those BIG profit SUVs/F-whatevers without any penalties.

For me it makes sense that they sell les Fiestas in later years. I see at least two reasons for that:
1. They sold a metric shit ton of them in previous years, the used market is saturated with them and they cost almost nothing to buy used. You can buy a 2014 with the same equipment as a 2017, and it's gonna be super cheap compared to new.
2. Even if non-enthusiast don't necessary know, there's a redesign coming. The Fiesta right now is a bit dated compared to the competition.
3. Let's not forget all of the bad publicity with the auto transmission. They'll need make sure this is totally fixed for the MK8.

I would be VERY surprised if we don't get the Fiesta at all and I'm pretty sure that we'll still get the FiST. The FiST has been VERY well received and are selling fairly well.

If they don't, well when I shopped the FiST, I looked at the competition, which would be the compacts because there's no competition in the sub-compacts really, and the FoST was the one I liked the least and like the FiST the most. That's compared to the WRX (last 2 gens), GTI (last 2 gens) and the MazdaSpeed3. So, even if they don't care about ONE customer, they would lose me for sure.

Waterfan

IF Ford is only selling 4K Fiestas TOTAL a month, the ONLY reason they are keeping ANY version at all of this car around is to try and help out their CAFE scores/requirements a little, so that they can sell those BIG profit SUVs/F-whatevers without any penalties.
Agree. But not the "only" reason.

Fiesta as an entry-level car also attracts potential owners that would otherwise go to other entry brands. And if those Fiesta owners have an overall positive experience they may remain brand-loyal for their next purchase. (dealership/service experience has as much to do with this as the specific car owned)

Also, it is normal for sales to dip in expectation of an all-new generation launching soon.

Ford Community Posts