Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Winter Tires, Lets hear what you think

Um, if you have winter tires on your, probably an important reason to not drive aggressively.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Exactly. I was going to get parts over the winter like intake and exhaust but I won't be driving fast enough anyway on my winter tires so I'll be saving up all winter and buying and installing everything in the spring. Something to look forward to.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I want winter tires that can also handle dry conditions decently and withstand potholes so went with 185/60/15 Michelin Xi3 and steelies which will be released 11/7 but im thinking of scrapping the steelies for SE-17s.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I wanted to go the steelie route too but found some sportline 5 spoke on tirerack for only 99 a piece. Wanted something a little different this winter so went with those. And I got the Generals for only 60 a piece and they have great reviews. I'm more worried about the 40 below temp up here. I won't be going fast on them so dry traction doesn't really bother me.

Went with the new Kuhmo I'Zen KW31 on steelies. Didn't see any review on them so far, just hoping it's gonna be good.

Went with the new Kuhmo I'Zen KW31 on steelies. Didn't see any review on them so far, just hoping it's gonna be good.

Ahhh black steelies. The traditional winter garb of the Canadian motor vehicle.

What size are those? I just ordered some new Blizzak WS80s in 185/60-15 from Costco.

Yes we're allowed! But I had studs on my pickup 2 years ago and I scraped my driveway to the death... Prefer to run on new studless tires :/

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
another vote for the General Artic Max. I ran them on my 2011 Fiesta after a Rally America driver suggested them as he uses them at the Sno*Drift. My brother, his wife, and a number of my friends all run them after I gave them a try. Going with them on my ST with some Sparco wheels.

ryst

another vote for the General Artic Max. I ran them on my 2011 Fiesta after a Rally America driver suggested them as he uses them at the Sno*Drift. My brother, his wife, and a number of my friends all run them after I gave them a try. Going with them on my ST with some Sparco wheels.
I ran these on my Honda Fit, they are decent tires, and VERY cheap.

I have Perelli Winter Carving edge (15" wheel 185 width). They had no problem with the snow (shallow and deep) in Michigan Last year, but they're not *the best* tire on ice. I got aluminum wheels/tires mounted/shipped for $550, so it was a deal too good to pass up :)

The premium snow tires do much better on black iced roads, but even the cheapest winter tires are better than ANY all season tire.

Billdo, I bought those rims last year to replace my mothers 8 year old OEM ford rims for her escape. As they where bead leaking like crazy.

Anyways, after 1 year, those sport tuning rims looked like hell. They can't take a rain drop at 70mph without chipping. While they are still holding air, after what the face looked like after a year on a mildly driven car. I avoid Sport Tuning wheels.

Buy a 'winter beater' and save the ST for the good driving months. One winter in northern Alberta where I live completely beats the crap out of a new car, so mine will hibernate for the winter months. The amount of salt and gravel they use will destroy the finish and windshield quickly. I am fortunate I have a company vehicle now, but when I don't I will be going the 'winter beater' route for sure.

Chai

So I got the Blizzak ws80 tires and they seem very sticky in cold wet rain(45 degrees)...so sticky that every time I turn a corner, the steering feels tighter and accelerating through the corner feels a little slower.. Anybody else felt the same difference with winter tires? or am I just feeling a placebo effect of my first ever dedicated winter tires?? I also seem to feel the torque steer more..

in comparison, the stock tires felt like they allowed the back of the car to rotate more but also allowed to change direction more quickly and accelerate faster through the corner..

So I got the Blizzak ws80 tires and they seem very sticky in cold wet rain(45 degrees)...so sticky that every time I turn a corner, the steering feels tighter and accelerating through the corner feels a little slower.. Anybody else felt the same difference with winter tires? or am I just feeling a placebo effect of my first ever dedicated winter tires?? I also seem to feel the torque steer more..

in comparison, the stock tires felt like they allowed the back of the car to rotate more but also allowed to change direction more quickly and accelerate faster through the corner..
If your are comparing Blizzaks to the stockers they probably felt pretty sticky.... The potenzas suck butt-hole when they are cold. Most summer tires won't perform that well in cold+wet conditions but the oem potenzas are in their own shitty league.

That being said, at regular temperatures winter tires have really bad wet weather performance compared to all seasons or summers. C&D did a test a few years ago about this...

Not sure what rim size and dimensions you went with but with the soft winter tires and bigger sidewalls, you won't get the same snappiness as the summers. Pretty normal behaviour.

Let me know how your Blizzaks hold up when you get some snow!

Anyone try Pirelli Sottozero???

I searched on TireRack for winter tires for my 2014 FiST and all they show is Pirelli Sottozero and the Blizzak WS80....? I'm leaning toward Pirelli, and just changing the tires, not the wheels, at this point, cuz here in MINN, I have run out of time for the summer tires!!!

Anyone try Pirelli Sottozero???

I searched on TireRack for winter tires for my 2014 FiST and all they show is Pirelli Sottozero and the Blizzak WS80....? I'm leaning toward Pirelli, and just changing the tires, not the wheels, at this point, cuz here in MINN, I have run out of time for the summer tires!!!
These tires are not comparable. One is a performance winter, and the other is a real snow and ice tire.

The sottozero will work great for the very cold weather and a light snowfall. But the Blizzak WS80 will power through the deep snow, and provide actual traction on ice.

On the other hand. If you rarely encounter deep snow, and drive long distances in the cold, but light snow, usually plowed streets and performance winter would work well.

I had Michelin alpines (performance winter) on my 2001 Integra GS-R for 4 years. They worked great, Still better than an all season, but they didn't have the mushy feeling and sluggish steering response as my girlfriends 2005 Honda Civic with Michelin Ice X3's. Man her car can tear through any snow condition imaginable. I passed a camry that couldn't get going from a stop at a stop sign. Had to go around. Drove right on by.

Then again, my GS-R had a LSD and manual. Easily could control it. It was lowered way too much, and I pretty much plowed the street for everyone in the morning. A nice clean cut of 5 inches of snow.

I went with IceX3's in 195/55/15's for my Fiesta ST. as I wanted maximum traction in snow and ice conditions. I rarely drive highway in the winter.

These tires are not comparable. One is a performance winter, and the other is a real snow and ice tire.

The sottozero will work great for the very cold weather and a light snowfall. But the Blizzak WS80 will power through the deep snow, and provide actual traction on ice.

On the other hand. If you rarely encounter deep snow, and drive long distances in the cold, but light snow, usually plowed streets and performance winter would work well.

I had Michelin alpines (performance winter) on my 2001 Integra GS-R for 4 years. They worked great, Still better than an all season, but they didn't have the mushy feeling and sluggish steering response as my girlfriends 2005 Honda Civic with Michelin Ice X3's. Man her car can tear through any snow condition imaginable. I passed a camry that couldn't get going from a stop at a stop sign. Had to go around. Drove right on by.

Then again, my GS-R had a LSD and manual. Easily could control it. It was lowered way too much, and I pretty much plowed the street for everyone in the morning. A nice clean cut of 5 inches of snow.

I went with IceX3's in 195/55/15's for my Fiesta ST. as I wanted maximum traction in snow and ice conditions. I rarely drive highway in the winter.

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback! I drive almost all freeway; just about anywhere I go is plowed, so I'm thinking the Pirellis should work out pretty well.